New Legs?

Associate
Been looking at tripods for my new 30D, given my old cheapy Velbon is a bit on the flimsy side. (Albeit it was only $10 in the Walmart bargain bin back in 1993, so it's served me very well!) So far, I'm looking at either the 055Pro or 190Pro, with the 804RC2 head. Other than a bit more height, is there much between the two sets of legs? THe most I expect it to hold is the 30D with a 70-300 IS, so the lower 5kg limit of the 190 should be no issue.

Also looking a the new 190XPro, which looks reasonable and rather funky.

I'm hopefully off to the US in a few months, and the choice in terms of price seems to be the 055ProB and head or the 190Pro and head and use the savings on the legs to pay for a large chunk of a Speedlight 430EX. Is this a sensible option, or am I being a cheapskate and likely to regret the cheaper legs? Should I wait on the 430 and get the 055 legs instead?

Opinions from users of both appreicated.

Associate
Personally I would get the 055 proB. Some great leggs, and I kind of miss the horizontal mounting top section. You might want to get legg warmers (for the tripod) if you are going to use it in cold conditions very often though.

Associate
OP
The horizontal top section is rather appealing in terms of flexibility, which is one reason I favour the Manfrottos over, say, Slik or Velbon. However, both the 190Pro and 055Pro both feature it and both have leg warmers on 2 legs as standard.....makes it very close between the two!

It seems to me to boil down to weight/price vs a bit extra height....wondered what else I was missing?

Associate
scoop said:
Yup, but at twice the price, a bit beyond my budget!!

Here is something I have learnt from experience. Don't skimp on a tripod, or head. If you going to spend, then get a good one that is going to last. If you get a cheap one, then you end up upgrading 2 or 3 times, and spend about 2-3 times the amount of money, only to end up with the tripod you would have got originaly.

Associate
FranchiseJuan said:
Here is something I have learnt from experience. Don't skimp on a tripod, or head. If you going to spend, then get a good one that is going to last. If you get a cheap one, then you end up upgrading 2 or 3 times, and spend about 2-3 times the amount of money, only to end up with the tripod you would have got originaly.

I'd go with that I don't regret shelling out for my 55 MF4 :D.........

but i do regret not spending a bit more on the head ;)

not happy with the 460MG and wish I'd got a decent ball head or even decent pan & tilt

Also as I put in this thread if you're on a strict budget an older Alu tripod may be worth getting (S/H obviously) if you can find a decent one

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So, to get back to the original question, can anyone actually tell me what the differences are between the 190 and 055? I appreciate that the 055 is more expensive and heavier, on what grounds is it preferred over the 190?

Not wanting to belittle anyone's input, but it seems a bit silly blindly following the "get the 055" line and shelling out a fair bit more if there isn't actually a great deal of difference........

The one difference I can see is the aforementioned 190X has the old metal head on the central column, which now appears to have been replaced with a plastic one on both the 190Pro and 055Pro

Last edited:
Associate
I don't think the center column is plastic on the 055 (from memory). Also all the old non pro tripods don't have the clip releases and require you to screw tighten and loosen the leggs. Much slower to use.

Associate
The 055pro and 190pro are pretty much essential in all but working height.

I have the 190pro and am 6' tall. The camera is not at eye-height unless I extend the central column. With some 55 legs that we have at work, the camera is at eye height for me without the central column extended.

No other differences apart from weight, I think.

Associate
OP
Certainly didn;'t used to be, but on the Manfrotto site, it now appears to be plastic, and the 190 appears to have adopted the leg clips of the 055. (Further refined on the 190X, apparently)

Last edited:
Associate
AdWright said:
The 055pro and 190pro are pretty much essential in all but working height.

I have the 190pro and am 6' tall. The camera is not at eye-height unless I extend the central column. With some 55 legs that we have at work, the camera is at eye height for me without the central column extended.

No other differences apart from weight, I think.

The 190 also doesn't support the same camera / lens weight the 190 goes to 5Kg, the 055 is around 7

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
The weight of a tripd is not really relavent for stablity. I mean you don't all hang your bags off a hook on the bottom of the tripod center column to add weight and increase stablity? :confused:

Soldato
FranchiseJuan said:
The weight of a tripd is not really relavent for stablity. I mean you don't all hang your bags off a hook on the bottom of the tripod center column to add weight and increase stablity? :confused:

Which is dead correct. The leg tubing will play a large part in stability - the greater the diameter, the sturdier in general. Weight of the tripod matters little really.

The main advantages of the 055 are the legs are larger diameter therefore sturdier. It can take extra weight, so if you do strap a heavy object to the centre column, you're less likely to end up above the stated max working load without realising. Also, it goes taller without the centre column extension, so that also helps stability.

Associate
I'm 6'6" and I can extend the 055 so the camera at my eye level.

The Mag Fiber version is only 400grams less. It's a lot extra for only a little weight reduction.

Man of Honour
Mohain said:
The Mag Fiber version is only 400grams less. It's a lot extra for only a little weight reduction.
Yeah, I've got one of the old 441 carbon ones but only because I got a cracking deal on it as an end of life product. Despite the hype it's still a fair weight, I'm not sure if it's worth the premium if you're paying full price.

Associate
OP
danza said:
The center column on the 055pro B is aluminium.

Sorry, probably confused the issue here; the central columns themselves on both the 055 and 190 are aluminium, but on the newer models, the column head (where the actual head screws onto) appear to heve been replaced with a plastic mount. It appears to be Alu again on the 190X.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mohain said:
400g is loads !!! :)

I'm into mountain biking and items that weigh 9g less over the standard items cost over 3 times more !

Back
Top Bottom