24/7 watercooling

Soldato
Is this a bad idea?

My pc is 99.9% always on and im thinknig bout getting a 2nd hand koolance kit for it but am a bit worried about it as i leave my pc on all the time. Would it be a bad idea ?

Associate
it would depend on the kit tbh. water 24/7 is fine, but a 2nd hand crappy kit is obviously less of a good idea. make sure you know what you are doing when setting it up.

Soldato
mine is on 24/7 but its a bit higher spec than a koolance system :D

honestly though, whats going to happen when you're not looking different to what happens when you are looking? Unless you're a complete tool you'll manage to avoid any wild tube flapping/spraying incidents.

I've had small leaks from barbs before that I've not noticed when I've been sat right next to the thing!

Associate
Mines on 24/7, no probs also.

Do a leak test before you fit the case and leave it running for about an hour with kitchen roll or somthing under the connections, if it hasn't leaked a bit in an hour it shouldn't leak in 24 hours, i'm guessing :p

Associate
Run mine 24/7. No worrieth.

Problems I have had are to do with cheap barbs leaking, and crappy tubing going a weird brown-colour in the UV light, and setting like concrete which cracks when you try and bend it.

Also, cheap and nasty pumps make a hell of a racket, so leaving it on 24/7 might not be an option, as it'll keep you up 24/7!

I've had to replace my pump, tubing and coolant after 3 months. but with a bit of thought, it's worked well.

Performance-wise, don't expect an awful lot. Mine cooled the CPU to 7-10'C above ambient, but adding a Graphics card in the loop raised this to 14-16'C. this is with 10/8mm tubing and a 120.1 RAD with two fans push/pulling (btw- two fans on the RAD does increase the performance by a noticeable amount)

And as always, leak test! (though an hour should be fine, all these people who do it for 24 hours are loosing 23 hours valuable gaming time)

Good luck!

MB4

Back
Top Bottom