my 2nd crash D: NSF56k

Permabanned
Tbh, i don't know how i managed to do what i did, all i know is i came off a roundabout not very much in control, fish tailed, at some point 180'd, and slid into the central reservation. No one was hurt, there was no other traffic about, I am a complete idiot, please feel free, hell, please do, call me all the names under the sun. The recovery guy said it was ice, i say it was my inexperience and my speed, that whilst wasn't fast, was still obviously in hindsight, to fast for the conditions.

Pics as follows

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
04022007163LargeMedium.jpg

04022007162LargeMedium.jpg

04022007161LargeMedium.jpg

04022007160LargeMedium.jpg

04022007159LargeMedium.jpg

Is it totaled, should I claim, how much is this guna cost me? I am very upset, but am not sad, in fact, all jokes my mates have made iv found funny and im quite happy in other ways that it wasn't worse.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ouch :o

RWD in this weather needs care. Credit to you for being honest.

Looks like most of the damage is at the top, did the wheels take a whack? That would be my biggest concern, chassis and suspension damage is worse than cosmetics.

Permabanned
OP
andi said:
Ouch :o

RWD in this weather needs care. Credit to you for being honest.

Looks like most of the damage is at the top, did the wheels take a whack? That would be my biggest concern, chassis and suspension damage is worse than cosmetics.
I have no idea, I think it did, but the car drove fine until I thought driving it was a stupid idea, so pulled over to a safe spot, and called the RAC, all thought thinking back there was no curb (which your post has just made me realised, realising that it might just be cosmetic damadge, good news, thanks for the reply!), so maybe the wheels will be ok, fingers crossed!

Soldato
Being a cab, that rear panel is actually going to be replaceable, unlike ahardtop where it extends into the roof. So a quick sorting of replacement panels, a double check that the filler neck and tube aren't damaged, then a respray, and it looks like everything will be back to normal.

Glad to hear you're ok. That's the important thing. Next good point is that you've realised what you did wrong in the situation (even if there WAS ice, you've understood that you were too fast for conditions) and are planning on learning from the experience.

And please don't think that I'm preaching. Twice today I put the truck sideways. Once wasn't recoverable. But both times I kept it between the yellow and white lines, so no damage anywhere except my eardrums from when my son thought we were going to crash and burn and screamed like a little girl. So I'm far from "perfect" when it comes to this kind of stuff. I just tend to do it where there's no chance of damage and there's nobody around. So I tend to get off lucky. Doesn't mean I don't get caught out. ;)

Don
Ouchy, sorry to see that dude!

But as mentioned above, it does look very cosmetic to me. Worse case scenario, get the body panels repaired and sell it on :p (j/k). I'd get some bodyshop quotes before you inform the Ins company though. You may be lucky with a bill much smaller than you expect

Associate
Is that the A38?

Looked like a nice car though, shame. :(

The roads are *really* greasy at the moment, even more so around Bristol than down here in Weston. They must be piling the salt out. I've seen many cyclists/motorbikes slide beneath their riders recently, even when it's 8oC.

At the end of the day it's only metal, thankfully no one was hurt, learn from it. :)

Man of Honour
Really sorry to hear this dude. You stuffed up, but you've admitted it and you can learn from it. Really hope it all gets sorted, know how you feel. Should be fixable - but I guess the concern is how much it costs to fix as to whether the insurer repairs it or not.

Permabanned
Unlucky - that's quite nasty damage there.

willd58 said:
Is it totaled, should I claim, how much is this guna cost me?
I would have thought it might be a write off, but if the rear panel is indeed easy to replace then perhaps not. It won't be cheap though.

Soldato
Oooof, unlucky Will :(

Are yuo considering doing any skid pan days etc? One of my friends is doing one soon, I'll be joining him, I've had a few hairy moments this winter.

Soldato
Sorry I never spoke to you in the night, I was sleeping!

Anyway, glad to see that you are OK.

As has been said because the car is a convertible it may be a case of just new panels and light, bit of paint and job done. I hope this is what it turns out to be.

I know an excellent bodyshop not too far from you Will, may be worth getting a quote from them before any sort of claiming.

The dual carriageway is VERY greasy at the moment. It may or may of not been Ice, but I would be pretty sure that you hit a low-traction part of the road. There have been loads of accidents and I have had the front wheels spin a couple times this week when accelerating away from a roundabout, that's in my low power boat with decent rubber!

Soldato
Looks like mine did, only mine wasn't anywhere near as damaged until someone hit it...

Did the car start? Does it drive okay?

Looks like you'd need to replace front bumper, front left panel, back panel and boot.

I suppose if you really wanted to you could get it done at a breakers. Might not be a good idea if you have structural damage though

Permabanned
OP
That is some extensive damage to the unibody. I am willing to bet it gets totaled since that rear quarter panel has to be cut off and a new one has to be welded in its place. There may be frame damage under the sheet metal as well.
Is this guy right? :(

Permabanned
Probaly get away with the rear quater mate, my friend has bought two golf cabs which have been rear ended and have been a lot worse than that on the quaters mate.

Man of Honour
People aren't having much luck at the moment are they?! :D

Sorry to hear that Will :( As you say it probably was a combination of speed and lack of experience - the mx5 isn't too twitchy, but if you don't react to it's feedback soon enough it does bite...

It's a shame - but at least you're ok, and it takes a big man to admit he made a mistake. Are you TPFT or FC? It's definitely worth looking at an estimate, if it's just body work, and none of chassis or axles or general drive train, it's worth looking into getting it fixed IMO. :)

Back
Top Bottom