network problems

Associate
I've got a network problem. i've added my laptop to the network and it worked fine to start off with, but today i wanted to transfer some files between my laptop and my pc, which meant having to disconnect my laptop and connect it to a different cable (as i didn't have enough) and now its not appearing on the network at all! its got its own little network thing.

I've been trying to simply re-add it to the network but that doesn't seem to work. (it has internet connection so its connected alright)

this is really bugging me can someone help? i know i don't make much sense, but i hope you can figure out what i mean.

btw i have read the sticky guide but it was of no help

Deleted member 58846

D

Deleted member 58846

St00 said:
I've got a network problem.

We all have sometimes, so don't worry your not the only one.

St00 said:
i've added my laptop to the network and it worked fine to start off with, but today i wanted to transfer some files between my laptop and my pc, which meant having to disconnect my laptop and connect it to a different cable (as i didn't have enough)

Why did you need to connect it to a differnt cable?

St00 said:
and now its not appearing on the network at all! its got its own little network thing.

O dear, well start by telling us what operating system you have. (XP Home/Pro/Vista/95/98/3.1/other)

St00 said:
I've been trying to simply re-add it to the network but that doesn't seem to work. (it has internet connection so its connected alright)

If your internet connection is ok, then the network settings should be ok too for file sharing. Can you confirm settings of your network? ip address/subnetmask/default gateway/dns settings?

St00 said:
this is really bugging me can someone help? i know i don't make much sense, but i hope you can figure out what i mean.

It made not much sense at all, sorry but if u provide ocuk members with details of the above they should be glad to help.

Associate
OP
Why did you need to connect it to a differnt cable?

To connect it to my old computer (there are 6 computers and 5 cables, each in different rooms, so moving the laptop to a different room was easier than moving the desktop)

O dear, well start by telling us what operating system you have. (XP Home/Pro/Vista/95/98/3.1/other)

XP media center

If your internet connection is ok, then the network settings should be ok too for file sharing. Can you confirm settings of your network? ip address/subnetmask/default gateway/dns settings?

EDIT:
ok wel it works now.... except my laptop appears 3 times with different names (as the troubleshooter suggested changing computer names and trying to setup the network again)

how can i get rid of the other 2 on the workgroup?

Sorry? :confused: :(

when i saw the laptop was not on the network i thought "oh ok, ill just add it again" and since its part of a network of identical name (WORKGROUP) except its the only computer there.

ok this is weird. i've now moved the laptop back to where it was and connected it to its old cable, and it has now picked up the other computers.... but now my desktop is not connected to the network (cable shortage) so i can't transfer my files (too big to make the transfer twice, by using another computer)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom