What do you think of Norton?

Associate
I currently have the Norton 2006 security package, a friend of mine who is a bit of a techy doesn't rate it all, just wondering people's oppinions, what are its faults etc. and what is reccommended in its place?

Cheers

Soldato
InsomniaCalls said:
Far too bloated.
Use NOD32 and Windows Firewall.
Agreed. A horrific piece of software. I once persuaded a friend to remove it and use NOD32, and he was simply amazed his computer's increase in speed & responsiveness.

Associate
OP
ace2109 said:
Kids use this site so i cant tell you eactly what i think :D

but you get my drift :eek:

So it's best to use windows firewall? I already use spybot s&d. Is there a decent free anti-virus, AVG?

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Brains said:
Is there a decent free anti-virus, AVG?

Avast. I've used it for over a year with no probs at all.
As for Norton it's bloated and crap.

My combination is as follows.
Avast and windows firewall backed up with Ad Aware + Spybot S&D + Ccleaner + regcleaner.

My system is for gaming and it performs very well for what it is. I am very careful with my online usage and clean/sweep daily.
As i said earlier for over a year i have had No problems whatsoever.

Soldato
Bloatware.

I'm a nod32 man myself
icon14.gif

Permabanned
I fixed three PC's this year just by removing it....

Norton has a special "uninstall" utility
why would a competently written program require a special uninstall utility ?

...it's a turd. ;)

Last edited:
Associate
AVG user here. I tried Avast a year or so ago and my system seemed to take a bit of a hit so I went back to AVG. I might give it another go just to see. Havnet tried NOD. I dont run a software firewall, have firewall enabled on router. Have had no problems so far.

Associate
How much memory at processor does AVG use? (approx).

I've Symantec Antivirus at the moment, at it uses just under 30MB of RAM and a minute or so of CPU for every 30mins of system uptime.

Soldato
I use mcaffee AV and FW. You can get mcaffee for £8 OEM and it is good. Only install the AV and FW though, it's all you need and the performace hit is not noticable tbh.

Soldato
I hate Norton. My step-dad insists on using it on his PC. Had the misfortune of having to install it for him while he was away - couldn't believe how long it took. Then needed two restarts (lengthy ones), and proceeded to fill the tasbar and IE toolbars with Norton-related rubbish.

Caused a lot of people a lot of problems in Halls (Uni) too. Norton's firewall seemed to hate network and would block people's MSN access. Really odd.

Even Norton for Macs is rubbish; when I first met my housemate (also in Halls), he had it and it blocked him from getting onto secure websites or from using software that uses HTTPS to conenct (such as Messenger). Removed it, and everything was fine again.

Back
Top Bottom