Welcome one and all, to the GD Club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I'm quite liking the sound of this. I considered GD of a few years ago to lie somewhere in between speakers corner and todays GD. Hopefully this will bring back more posters that used to enjoy GD, without upsetting those that are fond of GDs current state.

Associate
Originally posted by iam
Indeed - you echoed my sentiments sah!
Thirded. A non-pruned GDC would be very nice :)

Originally posted by MindYerBeak
Aye, sir, they will be mercilessly obliterated, shredded, mutilated, Nuked and trod upon wherever they occur.
I hope you similarly crack down on posts which consist only of a quote. Surely it doesn't take long for someone to type in a few sentences explaining why they agree?

Hope all goes well with this new forum arrangement, I can see myself contributing to both GDs.

Soldato
Originally posted by exedanni
I hope you similarly crack down on posts which consist only of a quote. Surely it doesn't take long for someone to type in a few sentences explaining why they agree?

Okay I'll stop doing that, really though it's basic trolling and I suppose it annoys everyone. :)

Man of Honour
It's still early days :) Don't forget that this is something of a trial, the success of which is down to the members. The 'feel' of the place will develop over time according to the content. Nothing is hard and fast, anything and everything could change. The forum might be pink next week :eek:

The same goes for pruning. Lets see how things develop. This is a decision that can be made in a couple of weeks time - not after just a few hours.

Associate
Originally posted by iam
Another suggestion - for constant spammers of this forum - can we ban them from posting here? :)
If by "here" you mean GDC, well, it can be done, but not by a don. It means amending individual members access rights and that can only be done by an admin. So I don't see that happening with respect to any forum and any forum except on a very occasional basis. IT has been done, I believe, on occasion, to lock people out of MM.

It seems to me that SC still has it's place. It is for debate. Some people say that you have to justify the things that you claim in there - well, that is just how it should be in a debate. Even in SC, you can express something as an opinion, on points where a personal, subjective judgement is valid. But where it is a factual matter, and someone else disagrees with your 'facts', is it not fair comment to ask you to support your 'facts' with sources?

E.g. The UK does more trade with Europe than with the rest of the world?

Does it really? .... or is that just my mistaken belief? (Yes, it does, BTW)

GD (of either flavour) is about chat, rather than debate. The forum subject matter is likely to be different, as is the approach to comments.

I feel that the difference between GDC and GDZ is the nature of the topics that interest the members likely to frequent the relevant forum - and to some degree, what frame of mind they're in.

GD, as it was, was putting a lot of people off, due to the subject matter and to the atmosphere that sometimes prevailed. Those people were using GD less and less, and some (like me) had left the forums. Either they had a forum more suitable to their wishes on OcUK, or they'd be likely to find one elsewhere (like I did).

Ultimately, it comes down to having a place for everything and keeping everything in it's place.

Soldato
The only thing i'm unsure of is the name - club sounds very exclusive and a bit elitist. Could be offputting to newer members.

Difficult to think of an alternative name though, especially with what we're trying to accomplish.

Associate
RE: Confusion about acceptable posts in here

Surely if you have to ask whether a post/subject is 'ok' to be posted here it probably isn't?

i.e if you aren't sure probably better off leaving it to GDZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom