Paypal / Ebay Advice

Associate
Hi again all,

I have a buyer from Brazil he seems like a nice chap and has over 100+ positive feedback, He has sent me payment to my account through paypal (which is over £600) and the money is now being transferred into my bank account which takes about 5 working days. Is that money now safe? the reason i ask is that his address on paypal is unconfirmed (but i read this is the case with most address's in countries like this)

Do i send the package or wait another 5 days for it to clear into my account (He won't like this very much!)

Man of Honour
No, if it turns out to be a fradulent transaction, Paypal will send you a bill for £600, hether it's in your bank account or not.

If I were you I wouldn't send it at all, especially to an unconfirmed address. Charm is a thiefs best tool ;)

Soldato
afaik, paypal can still take the money back from your paypal account even if you have transferred it to your bank account. It just leaves you with a negative balance.

If you aren't sure, don't send it.

EDIT: Beaten by seconds! :p

Associate
I would wait til the money is in your account until you send.
Make sure there is some way of getting a signature when the parcel arrives at the other end.
Personally I wouldnt send it.
Hope it goes well !!!!!
Riever

Last edited:
Soldato
I would wait another 5 days for it to clear, when its in your account then you can send. But before that I would be asking him to confirm his address. He won't get annoyed at waiting - he lives in Brazil, another 5 days won't matter to him!

Associate
Personally I would refund the payment and politly ask him to send it again using bank transfer. This is the mose secure method of taking payment and can only be reversed on the day the payment was made, and even then with some difficulty.

In disputes PayPal tend to side with the seller and as you aren't shipping to a confirmed address you aren't covered by the seller protection scheme meaning that the buyer can easily do a chargeback leaving you £600 out of pocket

Soldato
Yep... try and ask for another form of payment... because shipping to unconfirmed addresses means that PayPal will not cover you... and can/will take the money from your PayPal account (leaving it in minus figures) if the transaction is reported as fraudulent :(

Soldato
I know we are not supposed too but, link to auction? I am one of OCUK's few power sellers and might be able to judge the situation for you. But as many have said........ its £600 and if your not 100% happy dont send it (I wouldnt send a £600 item to brazil!!! NO WAY!!!).

Eddie

Soldato
:)

Quality! How did you get it?

You're right... it IS always best to wait for the payment to clear, although paypal have a nasty habit of siding with the buyer if things go awry.

Usually I'd immediatly discount a foreign seller from my auction as I have had one go wrong before, but as Montoya is from South America... Columbian IIRC, so I guess it's more likely a real buyer from South America would be looking to buy that kind of thing rather than scam you if you see what I mean.

Associate
OP
Yes i was thinking exactly the same 90% of Montoya fanbase is from around that area.

My dad was high up in HP and at the time they were the main sponsor of Williams. Himself and i were invited to a track day @ silverstone to play in the bmw's :D m3's, z4's, m5's :D

I got taken for a lap in an M3 by Montoya and crapped myself lol.

My dad did the fastest lap and this was the prize :)

Soldato
eddie500 said:
Yes i was thinking exactly the same 90% of Montoya fanbase is from around that area.

My dad was high up in HP and at the time they were the main sponsor of Williams. Himself and i were invited to a track day @ silverstone to play in the bmw's :D m3's, z4's, m5's :D

I got taken for a lap in an M3 by Montoya and crapped myself lol.

My dad did the fastest lap and this was the prize :)

Sweet! Sounds cool.

Next time give me notice so I can come too! :) lol.

:D

Soldato
Take care, the account has been inactive for some time and then there has been a flurry of activity. It could have been hijacked. Only last week someone bought a laptop off me, paid for it and then asked for it to be sent to her aunts address. I only smelled a rat because I realised it was a bloke posing as a ditzy female and at that point smelled a rat. The hunch turned out to be correct because two days after the auction finished they told paypal that I had not contacted them about sending the item and got paypal to withhold the funds from me. I decided at this point to just refund because something dodgy was going on. Good job I did because a week later the account was full of negative feedback having only a week previously been in very good standing although not used much recently. Be careful.

Back
Top Bottom