Learning French

Associate
I've been learning French for the last year or so both on my own and with lessons from the free languages program at Uni. I'm at the point where I'd like to starting reading some French literature, but most of it seems above my level - I tried Harry Potter but the past historic and ridiculous noun translations threw me.

Any suggestions from francophones here?

Associate
OP
I've already got 5 years of secondary school French under my belt and have never even touched Spanish. That's really not an option right now, although it's next on the list.

Soldato
If you think French literature is too advanced for you, consider listening to French radio or reading French websites... something a little more mainstream than complicated literature :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
French films are usually fantastic. If they're not really mucky (which the wife will love as it's French) they are hilarious. Win win situation :)

Here's a few to get your teeth into:

Amelie (fun)
Betty Blue (absolutely filthy)
Taxi (hilarious)
Taxi 2 (hilarious)
Les Visiteurs (hilarious, ridiculous etc)
Delicatessan (hilarious)
Le Marre de Coiffeuse (absolutely filthy)

Soldato
a list of french films without

irreversible

makes baby jesus cry , its one of the best films ive ever seen

haute tension is worth a watch too ,frenc lesbians and horrible murders, what more could you want , actually a good film , called switchblade romance here but im not sure if the english version is dubbed only

could easily watch both with the GF ,

Last edited:
Associate
andy said:
a list of french films without

irreversible

makes baby jesus cry , its one of the best films ive ever seen

haute tension is worth a watch too ,frenc lesbians and horrible murders, what more could you want , actually a good film , called switchblade romance here but im not sure if the english version is dubbed only

could easily watch both with the GF ,
Wasn't Irreversible made famous at the 2004 french film festival by a large number of people passing out while watching it?

Soldato
pffft aslong as she doesnt have a weak stomach itl be fine ,

will probably stop her walking the streets of paris alone

but yeah its not exactly a comedy :o

Back
Top Bottom