Mobo doctor diagnosis help needed

Soldato
rRecently, my A8N sli deluxe mobo started to lose its stability, has sat at 2.6 (1.55) nice and happy for over a year but over the last couple of weeks has only been stable at lower and lower speeds, also it lost its bios settings when unplugged (poss battery problem i know) and was very picky when i re-applied the former setting. At stock it was faultless in games and benches but i noticed the chipset (at the end and slightly below the GFX card as you look at it) getting a fair bit hotter.
A couple of months ago i flashed the mobo with a bios from the premium version which allowed me to up the Volts for the chipset, which i did.
Well friday whilst trying to get the thing to boot the screen changed from the initial bios loading screen to a mad chequered pattern and a loudish sound (like a wire catching on the blades of a spinning fan) started to emit from around the chipset (and GFX card :confused: ).
I couldnt feel any vibration but im sure the sound was from the chipset.
I turned the system of and reset the CMOS.
I then rebooted and receeved 1 long and 2 short beeps but no picture on the screen although the HDD are spinning up. the chipset remains cold at all times.
This morning i removed the CPU and GFX card and looked for damage and also reseated the ram, i then put everything back in and rebooted.
This time no beeps and still no picture.
Any ideas what the problem could be.
I think the chipset has given up on me but im realy hoping thats its not the GFX card (a nice clocking 7800gfx).
I dont have the ability to test any individual component at the mo either.

Man of Honour
1 long 2 short Indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information.

...so sounds like a dead mobo to me I'm afraid.

Soldato
OP
w3bbo said:
1 long 2 short Indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information.

...so sounds like a dead mobo to me I'm afraid.
So not my GFX card, cant replace that as well, the missus would have a fit, just spent nearly £17000 on a car and £350 on a new mobo/cpu/mem, she has just ordered a £6000 kitchen though :p so i spose we are even.
Cheers for your help

Associate
Of course you're even. Your wife in her new kitchen cooking your meals whilst you overclock your system and run benchmarks in your play room.

Kewl :D

Associate
i had a similar prob with my mobo and losing its bios settings and not firing up...ended up soldering a wire onto cmos battery and attached a 3.6v mobile phone battery to keep bios settings....worx but not ideal

Soldato
OP
nivlo said:
i had a similar prob with my mobo and losing its bios settings and not firing up...ended up soldering a wire onto cmos battery and attached a 3.6v mobile phone battery to keep bios settings....worx but not ideal
I think the bios battery was coincidental to the Chipset giving up the ghost

Back
Top Bottom