Turning off the power steering

Soldato
I had a slight thing with my steering fixed today, and it's made the car much more pleasurable to drive - just better all round steering. For a laugh, I thought I'm gonna have a go at trying to drive a 1500kg car with 225 front tyres, a 3.0L engine, with no power assistance, with my weedy arms! :p

Will simply removing the power steering fuse be enough? Is there gonna be any potential pitfalls, a downside to doing this? Will everything be okay with just the fuse removed?

Ta for any help given :)

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Its not simply a case of pulling a fuse. Well, that will disable the power steering but rather than becoming like normal unassisted steering its going to be loads heavier as you will have to work against the PAS system too. The only effective way is probably to drain the rack of fluid which probably isnt that good an idea really.

In short: Dont bother.

Soldato
I pulled the fuse in the MGs power steering ages ago. it makes it allot more pleasant to drive, sure parking requires a bit more arm muscle but you get a lot more 'feel' on the corners and there is a bit more weight at speed on the motorway

mine is an electrical system not a hydraulic one

Paul

Associate
Get it up to about 70-80 on the motorway, then just before a bend, drop it into neutral or put the clutch in and switch the engine off. It may not be good for you or the car, but it'll raise the IQ of this forum no end.

Caporegime
Is it electric?

Removing the fuse will remove the electrics pump effects of basically helping your arms turn the wheel. I'd expect it to be better at higher speeds though with more feedback, a lot of systems do control this assistance depending on the speed of the car though so it might not even being doing much at speed.

Electric systems are much better than hydraulic systems for the reasons of economy and hence are favoured by OEMs.

Soldato
OP
Akira said:
Get it up to about 70-80 on the motorway, then just before a bend, drop it into neutral or put the clutch in and switch the engine off. It may not be good for you or the car, but it'll raise the IQ of this forum no end.
How incredibly nice of you to suggest that.

Simon said:
Is it electric?
I believe not - the pump's driven directly by the engine for (Almost) certain.

Adz

Adz

Soldato
When my ancillary belt snapped, I was told by my mechanic that driving the car over to him would quite possibly wreck the PAS pump. I wouldn't recommend it :).

Associate
I once had to drive my old 325 to the garage across town that would stall as soon as you put it in neutral and let off the accelerator (Made changing gear/stopping at lights interesting). It did it mid corner despite my best efforts and the sudden change in force to turn the wheel was horrible, it really does get heavy.

Soldato
OP
Lopéz said:
Then there won't be a fuse.
Of course :p
Simon said:
Yep. A fuse wont stop a hydraulic system working
Thanks for reminding to check the obvious, and then telling me the result of my findings :p

Oh well, it seems I will never get to drive it unassisted unless I completely disassemble the PAS. Which I'm not going to do :D

Caporegime
PMKeates said:
Of course :p

Thanks for reminding to check the obvious, and then telling me the result of my findings :p

Oh well, it seems I will never get to drive it unassisted unless I completely disassemble the PAS. Which I'm not going to do :D

Cut the Hose, that will work. :p

Soldato
Simon said:
Is it electric?

Removing the fuse will remove the electrics pump effects of basically helping your arms turn the wheel. I'd expect it to be better at higher speeds though with more feedback, a lot of systems do control this assistance depending on the speed of the car though so it might not even being doing much at speed.

Electric systems are much better than hydraulic systems for the reasons of economy and hence are favoured by OEMs.

The one on the CTR is terrible, you can be too quick for it when doing a 3 point turn or something and you end up with no PAS.

The MGF has the lightest steering known to man at parking speeds, even a female hairdresser could easily park it. Oh wait.......

The Elise feels perfect at every speed, 860kg, 175 front tyres = no PAS required :)

Back
Top Bottom