RE: Speeding bit of advice if you will

Associate
Hi Guys,

You may remember me crying a few weeks back about possibly been nobbled by a speed camera van on the second day of having my new car,

Now the car had one previous owner and i got it from a bmw garage so on the time of the offense the car was probably still in his name. I have my V5 document through last friday to say the car is in my name. I am been really worried about being caught so i spoke to the BMW dealer today who rang the old owners to check if anything had come through the post to them. Its now the end of day 13 and they havent recieved anything!!

Do you think that its likely I may have got away with this or you reckon it might catch up with me?

thanks

Bazola

Associate
OP
Yeah see the problem is, not really sure what should happen. I thought that by law they have to get it to the registered keeper within 14 days, and if that isnt me it would be the old owner. If he hasnt recieved it then i am praying im ok

I have really learned my lesson from all this, though been worrying so much, not going to speed again after this i tell you.

Havent slept in the last two weeks

Permabanned
I would have thought that the previous owner signs the car over to the garage when they take it, or at least declares something so that it is no longer under his/her name.. It would puzzle me if it were to stay in his name.

Associate
OP
Yeah but worried about my speed as it was a new car. Been driving an IS 200 auto for two years and then a Z4 3.0. A little differnet

The road used to be a 60 its a dual carriageway with no houses at all. Its now a 40 and i overtook two cars at speed probably between 55 and 70 so very worried.

I do have a clean licence however, just didnt want to end up in court

Soldato
Isn't there a bit on the V5 where you can say its gone into the hands of the trade?

I expect you'd hear about it pretty quickly if bmw got a ticket through for you, it can't be exactly uncommon people going and buying used BMWs and getting a speeding ticket the very same day.

I still think you're in the clear.

Associate
By law, the NIP (14 day warning) must be sent within 14 days.

It does not have be posted by recorded delivery strangely enough, though some do, not all. Non-receipt won't save you if it gets lost in the post, just like the poor sods in the news today for late road tax renewal -they never got their reminders and the DVLA/Royal Mail also don't have to prove they posted it to your door. The onus is on you, but how do you prove a negative if they won't send it recorded? -I think they should its a new scandal to make money.

My motor got nailed just a few weeks ago by a mobile cam, front shot too. I asked for printouts of the image (your right to) On inspection of the imagery it it was all very blurry, and as it happens, neither me nor partner could remember who drove. Loadsa big threats from the persecuting department followed, but we stuck to our guns that we didn't recall who was driving. case dropped.

Even easier for rear cam shots. Get them headrests up ;)

Back
Top Bottom