Holliday Snaps - Sorrento/Capri and the Grottoes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Holliday Snaps - Sorrento and the Grottoes

Pictures of Sorrento and the Grottoes which can be viewed via a boat trip.

View of Sorrento and harbour from mountaintop as we approached
Sorrento.JPG

The Blue Grotto
As you can see it looks as though someone is shining a light through the water

Blue_Grotto.JPG

The Green Grotto
Stalagmites take on a green appearence due to the reflection of the water

Green_Grotto.JPG

The Red Grotto
To the left red coral lives just beneath the surface

Red_Grotto.JPG

Tiberius Fall
This is where the Emporer Tiberius had his villa, and where he allegedly threw women and slaves into the water below, hence the name Tiberius Fall

Tiberius_Fall.JPG

Soldato
OP
3 Rocks with a convenient passageway
Tunnel.JPG

Mr. Krupp, the WWII Nazi bloke built this walkway for himself
Krupps_Walk.JPG

Another view of Posh Git Walkway
Krupp_2.JPG

Approaching Capri
Capri.JPG

Taxi! You won't find taxis like these in foggy Britain
Taxi!.JPG

Bod

Bod

Soldato
Excellent shots there sah.

Looking at the one with the rock formatin in the water, like an archyway, does it remind anyone else of Jason and the Argonauts? And the Goonies?

Like I've said before, I'd love to go to Italy some day, especially as I now have a new found passion for photography.

There looks to be some fantastic photo and sightseeing opportunities there. One day my friends, one day.

Sam

Sam

Soldato
i find that picture of the blue light extremley impressive..

is the light coming from underneith the sea ?

or is it a reflection

Soldato
OP
Originally posted by mongul
Great pics..... I'm THE worst photo taker in the world (see can't even say photographer).

What was the place like to visit (other than stunning scenery i mean)?

I've never owned a camera in my life and am a complete n00b when it comes to photography. My piccies of Pompeii prove that, where I photographed the gates rather than the interior. It's not that I'm a good photographer, all the photos were taken on auto, just point and click. The camera did all the work, not me. If you have a camera with a good lens it's easy peasy.

We were only there for the day on an excursion and took part in a guided tour, but I thoroughly enjoyed what I saw. The guided tour was with a chap called Pepe, a character and a comedian in his own right. Everyone in Sorrento knows him and they shout, "ELLO!" at the top of their voices when they see him. A great laugh. Whereas other guides carry a flag around with them, Pepe carries a green umbrella. Should you ever visit Sorrento buy a few bottles of Lemoncillo which is unique to the area. Made from lemons it's the nicest drink I've ever tasted at £10 a litre. I'm going back there just for the Lemoncillo alone. The weather, even in winter, is superb and there's lots of stuff to see there. We only scratched the surface. Highly reccommended for a holiday.

The light is reflection from the ocean floor. The Blue and Green Grottoes change colour according to the seasons.

Soldato
Sounds like a very useful piece of kit that camera, I still reckon my photography is past saving though - I even refuse to take pictures of tourists when asked in london now, as I now the resulting photo's will be so bad!

Sounds like a lovely place to visist. Hopefully this year if work works out right I will be driving down to Southern Italy via all the places on the way, which will be good as I haven't had a proper holiday in ages.

Looking out of my office window now, those photo's really are another world compared to a dreary london day, colours are amazing.

Soldato
OP
It took 34 hrs to travel from Swansea to Rome. If you intend driving down and wished to save some cash, you could always park in the motorway cafe car parks for a kip in the car. If you do decide to do this park amongst the heavy goods juggernauts in case a thief takes a liking to your car. Make sure your car is secure and if parked at an hotel don't leave any bags in view. There are gangs operating in Spain who look for British cars to nick.

It sounds like a really pleasant holiday. A good route would be Paris, Annecy, Lake Maggiore, Pisa, Montecatini, Florence, Rome, Pompeii, Sorrento, Siena, Verona, Lake Garda and Annecy. A 14 day trip by coach would cost £600, but would exclude Pompeii and Sorrento.

Soldato
Originally posted by MindYerBeak
Should you ever visit Sorrento buy a few bottles of Lemoncillo which is unique to the area. Made from lemons it's the nicest drink I've ever tasted at £10 a litre. I'm going back there just for the Lemoncillo alone.

Is there an alternative spelling of this drink, 'Limoncello'? I ask because I've been invited to audition for a band with exactly the same unusual name, and I've been trying to discover where the name comes from.

I agree with other posters - your photographs are excellent. Digital camera lenses really are getting better, I think :)

arty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom