More dam Playstation culture heads the Wii's way. (Mod chips)

Soldato
well I dont think the tiny dvd thing was the problem as you could fit a bigger case to make it take big discs.

I dont actually know where this thread is going anymore, it seems to have lost its plot.

Caporegime
n64 was chibale too, with the add on drive. Remember seeing a add-on drive for it where you could play about 5-10 games on the one cd with the dd-drive add on. Altough ps was the first most commen. I don't really disagree with the price of games etc. Just not want too damage my preciouse 360 (just home and drunk ignore post :p ) :p :p :D :D

Soldato
there is some advantages thought, take for example the firmware on 360, there is a option to slow your dvd drive down to 4x speed instead of 12x thus making your xbox260 virtually silent (yes silent) and no more spinup and sounding like a hoover with only a few secs longer load time on bootup (everthing else is the same). Why MS doesn't do this themselves just to get rid of the noise is beyond me and makes me sad that it resorts to a hacked firmware to be able to do it.

Soldato
It doesn't matter what technology they bring out to increase security on anything, consoles or PC etc. As there are hoards of hackers just waiting in line to test their talents at getting through the security - I think they see new technology as a challange :|

I remember my mate had a double connector thingy for his C64 so if we took our cassette player round his we could plug his cassette player and ours into the one computer and it would copy games as we loded em. Of course I'm not saying we ever did this, just that it was possible ;) and it's been the same ever since. I don't recall the Atari 2600 having copied carts but thats probably the last machine which didn't.

Soldato
McManicMan said:
Why MS doesn't do this themselves just to get rid of the noise is beyond me and makes me sad that it resorts to a hacked firmware to be able to do it.

There are video skipping problems at that speed tho, burnout revenge etc...

Caporegime
WatchTower said:
Maybe Nintendo should have stayed cartridge based. 4Gb flash memory as been out for a while which is more than enough to fit Wii games on.

and besides, the piracy will probably make the wii more popular... and you dont want this? do you want it to die a premature and painful death like the 64 and the GC really did?

also in the snes days it was harder to copy games because of the snes archetecture and the game roms themselves. for example mario kart had chips onboard to help with the processing/decompression as i believge. and others had the FX1 or whatever it was called, meaning if you had to copy the game yuou would have to copy the chip, or get some real good emu software running the show!

Soldato
nitendo are probably the only ones in a position to benefit from piracy actually. since they are the only ones making a profit from their consoles, if more consoles are sold because of piracy - thats more money for them. For everyone else, its a loss.

Ben

Ben

Associate
Joebob said:
I don't recall the Atari 2600 having copied carts but thats probably the last machine which didn't.

Oh it did, and I hope I'm not the only one to have seen it first hand (friends that we bought a 2600 off of had one), it was a 2600 cart with a bit for clipping a chip to the front with a game (or games I can't remember entirely - I was still a kid at the time) on it. It may have been a multi-game cart kind of thing, but with handwritten labels I doubt it ;)

Soldato
Ben said:
Oh it did, and I hope I'm not the only one to have seen it first hand (friends that we bought a 2600 off of had one), it was a 2600 cart with a bit for clipping a chip to the front with a game (or games I can't remember entirely - I was still a kid at the time) on it. It may have been a multi-game cart kind of thing, but with handwritten labels I doubt it ;)
Lol, so it really does go all the way back to the dawn of multigame consoles then.

Soldato
WatchTower said:
So there's a WiiNinja mod chip for the Wii to play copied games.

(Please no info on how this is done. As this thead will then have to be removed)

Up until the GBA it's been very rare as far as people modding a Nintendo consoles to play copied games. I'm not saying it never happened just that it was rare. When Playstation came out modding a console to play copied games appeared to go to an all time high. It seems that this is rubbing off and more and more people are modding Nintendo consoles even the Wii now.

I believe a lot of true Nintendo fans had to much love for their console to mod it and were willing to pay for their games but now it seems Playstation culture is rubbing off and people are modding Nintendo consoles which I think is sacrilege.

Dam it

Every single nintendo console to date has been cracked, it wasnt that rare, my friend had a magicom system for his snes that played games off floppy discs back in the early nineties. He also had a similar thing for the N64 and GBA.

Ben

Ben

Associate
Tony Williams said:
The likes of the Atari, Amegia, N64 are emulated today anyway.

Not sure I see what your point is? Since there are emulators out there for the PS2 and GC. (GC Emulation is still very slow, but PS2 is getting there).

Soldato
Ben said:
Not sure I see what your point is? Since there are emulators out there for the PS2 and GC. (GC Emulation is still very slow, but PS2 is getting there).

I was saying that now-a-days if people wanted to play old games on the early consoles they didn't need to fork out for consoles and expensive rom flashing equipment when it can be emulated quite easierly on todays computers.

I'm aware that GC, DC & PS2 are becoming emulatable, however it's just the case of the correct media and modchip.

Associate
WatchTower said:
Up until the GBA it's been very rare as far as people modding a Nintendo consoles to play copied games.

Sorry, but that's very naive. As other's have mentioned, the GameCube was hacked.... and it had a big scene too. Lots of GameCube piracy was going down just about 18-24months ago, became a post-xbox-hacking-scene thing for a while. I think the DS must take the cake for the number of people running pirate games though. Handhelds out of the equation - Cube was the most hacked Nintendo console methinks.

Forgot to mention..... if 'hacking' culture can be attributed to any console, going by the last generation... it has to be Xbox. So if anything, it's 'Xbox culture heads to the Wii'

Last edited:

daz

daz

Soldato
Psyk said:
And it's easy enough to get blank mini-DVDs.

Gamecube reads/writes discs in the opposite way to a normal DVD drive, so it wouldn't read stuff you burnt yourself.

The only way to play pirated GC games IIRC was to use the network adaptor and phantasy star online.

Soldato
daz said:
Gamecube reads/writes discs in the opposite way to a normal DVD drive, so it wouldn't read stuff you burnt yourself.

The only way to play pirated GC games IIRC was to use the network adaptor and phantasy star online.

I'm not sure if the GC does that it might do, however the modchip would tell the laser to read the disc properly and not backwards.

The Sega Dreamcast did this, read the disc form the outside-in however most hacked games are self-bootable thus telling the DC to read it normally. Sega later changed the BOIS to not allow this in October 2000> overall this kind of protection did work, a little. Video and audio would need downsampling to fit onto 700MB and not 1GB and most back-up games were sometimes missing trailers, music etc

It seems no matter who make the console it'll be hacked wether it's for illegal use or not.

Soldato
daz said:

Xbox does that too and the gamecube was chipped long ago. It took a long time for the chip to come out though, at which point the GC had all but died.

JaFFa said:
well I dont think the tiny dvd thing was the problem as you could fit a bigger case to make it take big discs.

I dont actually know where this thread is going anymore, it seems to have lost its plot.

It had a proprietory disk format, rather than just standard dvd, which took a while to crack.

Soldato
daz said:

Ah ok I didn't know that.

Ben

Ben

Associate
daz said:

I thought this was disproved? and that it was that the structure of the disc was slightly different (the Error Checking and Data portions of the discs were reversed, hence why normal players can't read the discs).

Back
Top Bottom