Vatican Secrets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Vatican Secrets

In 1640, the Italian composer Gregoria Allegri wrote a piece for a nine-part choir called Miserere Mei, Deus. It was a setting of the Ash Wednesday Psalm ('Have mercy upon me, O God...') and was written while Allegri was an employee at the papal chapel in Rome under Pope Urban VIII, in the time of the counter-Reformation.

The choir is divided into a main group and, unusually, a mini-choir, usually placed at some distance from the main choir. Notably the mini-choir has two solo treble parts, one of which rises up to a high C, an extremely high note for any soprano.

However unusual the setting, the real notoriety of the work comes from its history. When the Pope first heard it, he deemed it so spiritually powerful, so etherally divine, that only his own personal choir at the Sistine Chapel should be allowed to perform it, and even they only once a year during Holy Week. This invariably lent the performances an atmosphere of ritual and mysticism; the copies of the music were locked in the Vatican's vaults for the whole of the rest of the year, kept jealously away from the prying eyes of the musical directors of Europe.

However unlikely this sounds nowadays, we must remember that in the 17th Century sacred music was considered to be just that, and a work so clearly spiritual would indeed be considered dangerous to mortal ears.

Composers and musicians traveled to Rome every year specially to hear this legendary work, and few were disappointed. All were impressed by the theatrical touches leading up to its opening bars, where candles in the Chapel were one-by-one extinguished with the clergy kneeling in the dark, and equally so by the virtuosic embellishments of the castrati who often sung the upper treble line. Mendelssohn described it two hundred years later:

...at each verse, a candle is extinguished... the whole choir... intones, fortissimo a new psalm melody: the cantical of Zachariah in D minor... then the last candles are put out, the Pope leaves his throne and prostrates himself on his knees before the altar; everyone kneels with him and says what is called a Pater noster sub silentio... Immediately afterwards, the Miserere begins, pianissimo. For me, this is the most beautiful moment of the whole ceremony... the Miserere begins with the singing of a quiet chord of voices and then the music unfolds in the two choirs. It was this opening, and in particular the very first sound, that made the greatest impression on me. After an hour and a half in which one has heard nothing but unison singing, and almost without modulation, the silence is suddenly broken by a magnificent chord: it is striking, and one feels a deep sense of the power of music...

sistine-chapel.jpg

The Sistine Chapel, showing the choir gallery on the right

The Pope allowed two personal copies to be made as special gifts; one to the Emperor Leopold I, and the other to the King of Portugal in the eighteenth century. Other than this, the prohibition on the distribution of the piece was thorough and meticulous. At least, until 1770 where a fourteen-year-old boy shocked the entire musical and ecclesiastical world by memorising the entire work (approximately 13 minutes) on hearing it only once, and by then copying it down to paper. That boy was Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

Mozart's father Leopold wrote to his wife about the affair:

You have often heard of the famous Miserere in Rome, which is so greatly prized that the performers in the chapel are forbidden on pain of excommunication to take away a single part of it, to copy it or to give it to anyone. But we have it already! Wolfgang has written it down and we would have sent it to Salzburg in this letter, if it were not necessary for us to be there to perform it - the manner of performance contributes more to its effect than the composition itself. So we shall bring it home with us. Moreover, as it is one of the secrets of Rome, we do not wish to let it fall into other hands, ut non incurramus mediate vel immediate in censuram Ecclesiae ['so that we shall not incur the censure of the Church now or later']

publick-advertiser.jpg

Notice in the Publick Advertiser, London, June 1765 showing Mozart aged 7

It was the mystery and the atmosphere that raised Allegri's Miserere to the height of musical and spiritual reverence. To trigger a response in us, music must be three-dimensional, it has to be happening to us and we have to react to it. People who have had such experiences know that music can potentially change a person's life, that it is much more powerful than we sometimes care to admit. That is why the Pope locked Allegri's Miserere away in the vaults of the Vatican: he witnessed the power music can have and wanted to control it. Undoubtedly he would have done the same with the fourteen-year-old Mozart had he known the unbelievable forces that child was to unleash.

The Chapel choir at my university recently put on an abridged performance of Allegri's Miserere, which I recorded and have made available with permission to download here [7.89MB]. Imagine as you listen sitting in total darkness in the Sistine Chapel hundreds of years ago, having just endured several hours of unison singing and Latin readings, and you might begin to realise the tremendous power the music exhorted over audiences far and wide.

Glossary

Castrati - A castrated adult male singer, usually with an exceptionally high range
Fortissimo - Italian musical term meaning 'very loud' or 'very strong'
Pianissimo - Italian musical term meaning 'very soft' or 'very weak'
Treble - Boy Soprano, the highest voice range
Unison singing - Singing with only a single line rather than several notes at once
Virtuosic - Virtuoso-like, of exceptional technical skill

I wrote this myself, pretty much off the top of my head, taking the two pictures as digital photographs from my university library, hence the slightly poor quality. This is the first in a series of several short articles on the history of music I am intending to write for the forums.

arty

Magister Ludi

M

Magister Ludi

Great thread. I'll listen to it later.

5stars.gif

Have you decided what the next one will be on yet?

OT: Nice sig as well btw.

Soldato
OP
Originally posted by Magister Ludi
Great thread. I'll listen to it later.

5stars.gif

Have you decided what the next one will be on yet?

Thank you. Yes, I have several lined up, if people like this one and would like more. All will contain images and MP3s and I can guarantee will explore things you are unlikely to have heard about.

arty

Soldato
An excellent post, good sir, and if it were possible I'd vote it ten stars.

Mozart is undoubtedly my favourite genius. To think he composed his first piece of music at the tender age of 4 is nothing short of amazing. I knew of Mozart memorising the Vatican piece from the film, but didn't know the full story. Until now, so thanks for that. I've just been heducated. I haven't downloaded the music yet, but will do so and listen to it. I was always curious as to what the musical piece sounded like.

Soldato
OP
Originally posted by MindYerBeak
An excellent post, good sir, and if it were possible I'd vote it ten stars.

Mozart is undoubtedly my favourite genius. To think he composed his first piece of music at the tender age of 4 is nothing short of amazing. I knew of Mozart memorising the Vatican piece from the film, but didn't know the full story. Until now, so thanks for that. I've just been heducated. I haven't downloaded the music yet, but will do so and listen to it. I was always curious as to what the musical piece sounded like.

Would this be the film Amadeus? I've not actually seen that, although I've heard that it's worth a watch.

I was interested in your response MYB, knowing that you've actually visited the Vatican and presumably have first-hand experience of the surroundings in which this story unfolded.

Mozart is a fascinating character, but it would be rather difficult for me to attempt to write a post of any reasonable length upon him as there is simply so much to say.

Magister Ludi: Glad you like my sig - it is expanding daily, so watch out for new landscapes :)

arty

Soldato
By jove, that's a very emotive piece of music indeed. I'm not normally into "opera", but this piece of music certainly deserves to be in everyone's library. It's prompted me to purchase a CD of the music.

Aye, sir, it was the film Amadeus, a very sad story of a very great man. Something else I need to purchase. Unfortunately I visited the Vatican at Easter, so the Cistine Chapel was closed for services. Nevertheless it's my intention to return there again at some point and see the magnificence of the Cistine. Photography isn't allowed there because it apparently deteriorates the paintwork due to the flashes of light, but I'm sure I could sneak in a piccy or two.

Associate
Arty has sent me many interesting mp3's over the last year or 2, and has broadened my musical tastes quite dramatically - having a musical friend is certainly good for that!

Shame a flippant post had to mar this excellent thread.

Soldato
I'm of the opinion that the Allegri is a fine piece, allthough many in musical circles don't like it. It's a shame that i probably won't ever be in charge of a choir good enough to do it, but I'm sure I'll find one somewhere :)

Top thread :)

Permabanned
Fantastic, thanks very much. That brought back many happy memories of times forgotten. I sung this solo with my good friend Kalvin 40 years ago when I was a treble. First in my local choir, then at Glastonbury (the cathedral, not the festival LOL). Regretably I no longer sing or listen to such music, life has got in the way. I have to admit I have a big lump in my throat as I sit here listening to it and writing this. Now I'm going to search out the music I used to sing and enjoy it all over. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I often wonder what people like Mozart would think of today's music and what they could come up with with today's technology. A bit like Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure - but better.

5* ma boy!

Soldato
It's a pity it's abridged, frankly. It's immensely potent. I would dearly love to hear this in it's original [candle-snuffing] arena...

Sincere thanks, arty. Like MYB, I was aware of the story through Mozartian anecdote, but had never mustered enough interest to actively track down a listen. More fool me.

I look forward to your next similarly-inspired post with more than a little fervour. :)

[EDIT: Sorry, should have made this clear in my first post: This is a true five star thread. I have 'voted' to reflect this. :)]

Last edited:
Associate
It's a shame so much classical music is dull and formulaic, it puts people off when there are such gems to be found. It's an even greater shame that music is now more about credibility, hype or some perceived 'intellingence' than what it should be about - evoking emotion, altering mood and absorbing the listener.

I think you'd better have some more stars...:)

Soldato
Originally posted by DJ Baz
It's a shame so much classical music is dull and formulaic, it puts people off when there are such gems to be found. It's an even greater shame that music is now more about credibility, hype or some perceived 'intellingence' than what it should be about - evoking emotion, altering mood and absorbing the listener.

I think you'd better have some more stars...:)

Incidentally, that piece isn't classical - it's baroque era..

Although your points about classical being very diatonic are correct.

For more dynamic music people should listen to the likes of Tchaikovsky or Verdi - from the Romantic era (not necessarily romantic in style though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom