Games which are superior to their sequels?

Associate
Baldurs Gate was better than Baldurs Gate 2, in terms of storyline, the areas and the amount of areas to be explored. Deus Ex again, storyline far superior than Deus Ex 2. Unreal over Unreal 2 is no comparison.

I could come up with a few more if I thought about it. Most sequels don't do it for me, i'm not at all interested in eye candy, and generally thats all that that sequels provide compaired to the original. Theres a few exceptions of course. :p

Associate
Gangsters was a brilliant game while it had a steep learning curve it was very rewarding when you figured out what you were meant to be doing.

The sequel however was dumbed down for the masses :(

Soldato
Many people have said DX, so I second:

Tute said:
Half Life.
I did think the second was very good, and certainly did entertain me loads, but the pure gameplay of the first was simply sublime. Nothing has topped the "feel" of that game (or the engine in general) since it. Everything else feels sluggish in comparison.

Associate
Day of Defeat and Day of Defeat:Source.

The gameplay of the original was so much better. The Source version is a real letdown. :(

Associate
Diablo > Diablo 2, no randomly made dungeon layouts! Acts where after playing the game once it all seemed the same with the same quests in the same places doing the same thing in order to advance, took loads of the fun out of the game 2nd time round.

EQ > EQ2, even though the graphics were wonderful in EQ2 the game lacked depth and failed to live up to the massive submersive world EQ had created.

Soldato
Jokester said:
Civ 2.

Added so much more to an already great game.

Jokester

Edit: Meh, wrong end of the stick :o

Civ 2 is far better than Civ 3, is that better :p

Civ 2 was the daddy for ages, but I personally find the additions to Civ 4 to make that the best one, esp with the expansion pack.

XPE

XPE

Soldato
Dravic said:
Day of Defeat and Day of Defeat:Source.

The gameplay of the original was so much better. The Source version is a real letdown. :(

I agree it’s terrible compared to the original.

As much as I like Max payne 2 the original was much better.

Associate
Caustic said:
Civ 2 was the daddy for ages, but I personally find the additions to Civ 4 to make that the best one, esp with the expansion pack.

I personally think that Civ 2 was a tremendous game especially those humorous advisor movies :D

For me Civ 4 was a let down and Civ 3 was mediocre

Soldato
Unreal Tournament > Unreal Tournament ####.

Max Payne > Max Payne 2: The Fall Of Max Payne.

Neverwinter Nights > Neverwinter Nights 2.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption > Vampire: The Maquerade - Bloodlines.

Knights Of The Old Republic > Knights Of The Old Republic 2.

Total Annihilation > Supreme Commander? (Yet to see.)

Last edited:
Associate
Looking through my games theres a few with sequels.

Unreal Tournament was such a sucess... and i think is still unbeatable but its newer incarnations.

The Settlers... was soo cool.. i enjoyed 2 aswell... but everything after that lost the "spark" it once had.

Carmageddon.. the first one was one of the best games i have ever played... 2 was... ok the only thing it had going for it was its awsome sound track :p can't beat Iron Maiden :). TDR was... well ok nothing memorable.

Driver failed soo much.. the first was Great but its sequels tryed to be like GTA3.

Associate
HangTime said:
So, which games would you say buck the trend and are better than subsequent version? Please note that you should judge this on merit, i.e. a game shouldn't get bonus points for being ahead of it's time, it's just a direct comparison of which is the better game. Expansion packs don't count as sequels. For me such a list would include the following titles:

Deus Ex
Quakeworld
Need for Speed: Porsche 2000
KOTOR
Unreal (maybe)
Need for Speed: Porsche 2000 - I loved that game and there is nothing like it at the moment. On first appearances it looks arcadey but actually drove more like a sim, but was set on non-racetrack beautiful large circuits set in various exotic locations. Apart from your usual cornering there were also allot of steep rises and drops which gave the driving another dimension. In my opinion the NFS franchise has regressed. I wish they would make a game like this again with modern graphics and physics.

Back
Top Bottom