Love My macbook pro that much and thinking of...

Soldato
As I love my macbook pro that much I have been thinking of getting rid of my main XP Rig and get myself a iMac 20" I went into apple store today looking at them.

At first I did think about buying a bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard and a Apple cinema screen. The guy in apple store says it be best getting my self a iMac then i wont put too much strain on the Laptop.

What you guys think of this comment? I think what the hell i though i be ok having the laptop on a lot and using the stuff mention above instead of buying a iMac.

Permabanned
Too much strain on the laptop? THAT GUY SOUNDS LIKE HE KNOWS WHAT HES TALKING AKA SALES PITCH AKA IMAC COSTS MORE AKA MORE COMMISION FOR HIM.

Stupid loser. I use my Macbook Pro with a 24inch screen all the time. I do everything on it. Does it mighty fine aswell. That guy is talking out his arse.

The only reason I have a Windows rig is for gaming. If you feel you have the need for 2 macs then get an Imac, I persoanlly wouldnt find the need for 2.

Soldato
OP
midgetski said:
What do you expect from a sales assistant when you ask him whether you should buy a 20" iMac or a keyboard, mouse and monitor?

Well if i was going for screen mouse and keyboard it be £867 So that about £120 less then getting a 20" iMac

But when i come to think of it for 120 more i can get a full working system. But am i missing something here. Or would i be able to get a 23" screen cheaper from a different brand?

Soldato
OP
stuppy said:
Too much strain on the laptop? THAT GUY SOUNDS LIKE HE KNOWS WHAT HES TALKING AKA SALES PITCH AKA IMAC COSTS MORE AKA MORE COMMISION FOR HIM.

Stupid loser. I use my Macbook Pro with a 24inch screen all the time. I do everything on it. Does it mighty fine aswell. That guy is talking out his arse.

The only reason I have a Windows rig is for gaming. If you feel you have the need for 2 macs then get an Imac, I persoanlly wouldnt find the need for 2.
What 24" screen you got mate? How much as i may look at cheaper ones

Soldato
To the best of my knowledge — and a quick Google confirming my suspicions at least in the US, I suppose it also depends on whether you went to a fully-fledged Apple Store or not — Apple Store employees do not earn commission on sales. In my experience, and from what I've read from many others, Apple Store employees are fantastic. They're honest, genuinely pleased to help customers and generally tend to know a lot more about the products they're selling then at other retail computer stores.

In this case, the sales assistant is absolutely correct. Using a laptop for prolonged periods of time as a desktop machine — whether with the lid open or closed, more so for the latter — will put more strain on that machine. It may not make a noticeable difference to the end-user, but it is common sense that such activities will cause some extra strain to be put on the laptop.

That said, it is exactly what I do with my MacBook and I wouldn't hesitate to opt for this solution over splashing out hundreds on a new dedicated desktop system.

If I were you, I'd forget the Apple Cinema Display. They feature the exact same panels as other brands, yet have fewer inputs and cost a heck of a lot more. Pick up a Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP (~£550) instead, and you'll have a whole plethora of inputs, full 1080 HD widescreen resolution, a built-in USB hub and card reader (great for laptops)... and it doesn't look half bad either. As for the other peripherals, the Apple keyboards and mouses are nothing special, either. Their keyboard is rather clunky, in my opinion, and the mouses just don't stack up with rival brands. Definitely have a look around and don't be afraid to stray from Apple on this count, either.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Cheers, Never though about the Dell TFT. Will have a look at those as they normally look quite nice too. The apple screen looks lovely i must admit. but are quite heavy on the pocket thou for what they are really.

Might just got a cheap 20" for time being or is it wise to get the right one from the start.

what interest me about the keyboard and mouse is that it would use the bluetooth connection on the laptop this meaning no extra box or what ever on the desk

Soldato
I have my MacBook connected to an Acer 19" TFT and run it with the lid open. I use the TFT as the main screen and MacBook for MSN, iTunes etc. I can't really see how it's putting extra strain on the laptop especially as it's my main machine anyway.

I have a proper Apple USB keyboard but I'm not a fan of Apple mice (mighty or otherwise). I use a Microsoft mouse, (one of those Starck ones). The mouse plugs into the keyboard so it only uses up one USB port on the MacBook.

One thing to think about is buying a monitor with the same pixel density - it's a bit strange dragging a window between the two screens and having it change size.

If I had a MacBook Pro I wouldn't even consider an iMac.

Soldato
I have my Macbook Pro hooked up to a 19" TFT running 2 copies of Eve one on laptop one on TFT.

As for the Apple employee's they aren't on comission ... and in depending on your needs and specifications the separate imac may indeed be more beneficial, but probably not the 24" :D

Soldato
OP
OK..

If i were to get a TFT for this laptop i dont plan to do duel screen at all could not be bothered with that. but am i able to use the laptop on the tft if the lid close as when i close the lid now it goes to sleep i would have thouh it does that when connected to tft or would i have to change a setting.

So what TFT should i look for any pointers as it got to be able to handle the same resolution the laptop does.

Yeah I had a macbook at first for 10 days and i swapped it for the Pro and i love it a lot better than the macbook.

Soldato
Rookies said:
OK..

If i were to get a TFT for this laptop i dont plan to do duel screen at all could not be bothered with that. but am i able to use the laptop on the tft if the lid close as when i close the lid now it goes to sleep i would have thouh it does that when connected to tft or would i have to change a setting.

So what TFT should i look for any pointers as it got to be able to handle the same resolution the laptop does.

Yeah I had a macbook at first for 10 days and i swapped it for the Pro and i love it a lot better than the macbook.

To use it lid closed you have to boot up normally but with the screen connected, then close the lid (making it sleep), then wake it up again from an external keyboard/mouse. Bit of a pain in the bum, but it works. I generally juse use my MBP as a laptop, but I'm a bit spoilt with plenty of other Macs :)

Soldato
OP
Beepcake said:
To use it lid closed you have to boot up normally but with the screen connected, then close the lid (making it sleep), then wake it up again from an external keyboard/mouse. Bit of a pain in the bum, but it works. I generally juse use my MBP as a laptop, but I'm a bit spoilt with plenty of other Macs :)

So what macs you got then :D

Soldato
Rookies said:
So what macs you got then :D

It's going to sound like a big-headed "mine's bigger than yours" but I've got a 24" iMac in the study, Core Duo Mini hooked up to a 24" Dell in the office, Core Duo Mini downstairs hooked up to the 42" Plasma, 15" MacBook Pro for working on the move, or when virtually horizontal on the La-Z-Boy :) I've also got a MacBook, but I've given that to an engineer to use.

Soldato
OP
Beepcake said:
It's going to sound like a big-headed "mine's bigger than yours" but I've got a 24" iMac in the study, Core Duo Mini hooked up to a 24" Dell in the office, Core Duo Mini downstairs hooked up to the 42" Plasma, 15" MacBook Pro for working on the move, or when virtually horizontal on the La-Z-Boy :) I've also got a MacBook, but I've given that to an engineer to use.

How do you rate these mini? As I do have a 42" plasma too and did think about buying a mini for it a few month back. What use do you use it for on the plasma.

Oh btw god you got some macs ;)

Soldato
Rookies said:
How do you rate these mini? As I do have a 42" plasma too and did think about buying a mini for it a few month back. What use do you use it for on the plasma.

Oh btw god you got some macs ;)

Minis are great, the one in the office has 2 gig of RAM and it's plenty of power for everything other than gaming. The one under the telly has a gig in it and a 350gig external disk and it's used for downloads, Front Row and the odd bit of web browsing. I found the mini a bit sluggish with 512meg, but with a gig or more they're brilliant little things.

Soldato
OP
Beepcake said:
Minis are great, the one in the office has 2 gig of RAM and it's plenty of power for everything other than gaming. The one under the telly has a gig in it and a 350gig external disk and it's used for downloads, Front Row and the odd bit of web browsing. I found the mini a bit sluggish with 512meg, but with a gig or more they're brilliant little things.

So good and tempting to have a mini for the Plasma hmmm good I love mac now lol...

Do you have all the mac networked with each other to share pictures and download?

What is video playback like on the mini to the plasma how you got it connected to the plasma?

Back
Top Bottom