real story - bbc1

Soldato
evening all,
am not sure if this is the same story in all regions, but this week its about young drivers and accidents.

quite interesting so far. but will give my views after it finishes.

anyone else watching it?

Soldato
OP
right, as no one else has replied, i think i will give my opinion.

the program had 3 teenagers who had recently passed their driving tests.

teenager 1 - 18yr old man, driving a metro, boasted that he had got it to 102 on the motorway. seemed ok, not to cocky etc. was probably the best driver out of the 3, and listened.

teenager 2 - 18yr old girl, driving a ford ka, little bit cocky, had no idea about driving at night, or putting her foot down to overtake lorries. seemed a bit nervous.

teenager 3 - 17yr old man. driving an 05 plate audi A3, very cocky, didn't want to listen at all. speeding during the driving, and didn't know the speed limits when asked.

the all redid a type of driving test. and the only one to pass was the 18yr old man.

Soldato
OP
touch said:
Posting in the Motors section about a prog that was on at the same time as Top Gear wont get you much of i reply methinks :p

its not my fault that people don't watch topgear when its supost to be watched ( Sunday ) :rolleyes: :p

and i thought it was better of in motors, as its about driving.

Suspended
The driving test needs to be totally restructured, and not just for the young either.

You should take a theory test and a practical test that allows you to drive anything upto a 1.4.

Then further tests should be added in.

Advanced driving tests including skid control, all those things you need to learn on a race track that will save you when on the road.

Add to that motorway driving and night driving and i think that its pretty much all covered.

Each extra test passed and after a certain amount of time you will be allowed to progress to more powerful cars.

Only problem is that people could easily pass all these but still be idiots on the road. Perhaps a psychological profile in order to get a licence as well.

All of these though will see the cost for passing your test shoot up, but should decrease money needed on insurance and accident response.

Two other methods would be that your teacher decides when its time for you to pass thus getting rid of the tests all together but would include night driving and motorway training. The second would be for the DVLA to have driving agents, responsible for investigating new drivers covertly and for any complaint to the police about a drivers skill, they would need the powers to collect and present data to the courts to have that drivers license revoked.

Associate
MNuTz said:
Two other methods would be that your teacher decides when its time for you to pass thus getting rid of the tests all together but would include night driving and motorway training. The second would be for the DVLA to have driving agents, responsible for investigating new drivers covertly and for any complaint to the police about a drivers skill, they would need the powers to collect and present data to the courts to have that drivers license revoked.

I think that is the most logical way to do it personally

the amount of people I know who passed tests first time and are terrible drivers is ridiculous

Permabanned
spike's said:
teenager 3 - 17yr old man. driving an 05 plate audi A3, very cocky, didn't want to listen at all. speeding during the driving, and didn't know the speed limits when asked.

the all redid a type of driving test. and the only one to pass was the 18yr old man.

Firstly, they were all 18, also he was driving an Audi A4 ;)

Soldato
OP
MNuTz said:
The driving test needs to be totally restructured, and not just for the young either.

You should take a theory test and a practical test that allows you to drive anything upto a 1.4.

Then further tests should be added in.
agreed, but then you can still kill in a 1.4

MNuTz said:
Advanced driving tests including skid control, all those things you need to learn on a race track that will save you when on the road.

Add to that motorway driving and night driving and i think that its pretty much all covered.
definatly agree with the night driving and motorway, from what the program said, duel-carriageway driving in the test isn't compulsory. which i think is madness.

MNuTz said:
Each extra test passed and after a certain amount of time you will be allowed to progress to more powerful cars.

Only problem is that people could easily pass all these but still be idiots on the road. Perhaps a psychological profile in order to get a licence as well.

All of these though will see the cost for passing your test shoot up, but should decrease money needed on insurance and accident response.

what happens with instructors who want to keep you driving to make a bit more money?

Suspended
spike's said:
agreed, but then you can still kill in a 1.4

yes but it would mean insurance for 1.4s and below would go up as only inexperienced drivers would really be driving them (allow priviledges for people with small engines and long licences) allowing insurance for bigger engines to drop.

plus a 1.4 max would still be a good starting point for experience. I know a few people who had 1.8T for their first cars. Big mistake!!

what happens with instructors who want to keep you driving to make a bit more money?

The DVLA bring in a monitoring/complaint system that allows drivers who think they are ready to get another instructor out with them or a DVLA person. Plus you could introduce a video recording system into the cars to allow a 3rd party to view your driving over many lessons.

Soldato
MNuTz said:
The DVLA bring in a monitoring/complaint system that allows drivers who think they are ready to get another instructor out with them or a DVLA person. Plus you could introduce a video recording system into the cars to allow a 3rd party to view your driving over many lessons.

It's bad enough with the gps tracking to come, let alone camera systems :p

Soldato
OP
MNuTz said:
yes but it would mean insurance for 1.4s and below would go up as only inexperienced drivers would really be driving them (allow priviledges for people with small engines and long licences) allowing insurance for bigger engines to drop.

sadly i can't see the government going for this, they want us to all drive small cars, and then they put the costs up for small cars. nice idea though.

Soldato
Sounds good to me but only after i pass my test :p

My mate hasnt even been driving a year and hes just written off his 1.1 206 :rolleyes: Hes in court on Thursday charged with drink driving and some other stuff.

Soldato
OP
Defcon5 said:
Having a 1.1 saxo doesnt mean you cant do 70 in a 30
agreed, altho as pointed out above. there are a few people who get first cars that are way to powerful for them. mayb insurance companies are to blame. am not sure on the answer tho. maybe have ridiculous insurance premiums for these cars for under 20's, or make them go on special courses before they can be insured.

Soldato
spike's said:
agreed, altho as pointed out above. there are a few people who get first cars that are way to powerful for them. mayb insurance companies are to blame. am not sure on the answer tho. maybe have ridiculous insurance premiums for these cars for under 20's, or make them go on special courses before they can be insured.

My "mate" who i spoke of was insured on his mums insurance so can get anything......was getting a 1.6 new shape fiesta next week aswell. :o

My workmate started out with a 1.2 clio also on his mums insurance but has just recently got a 1.6 new astra and is 2k insrurance in his own name. Personally,when hes paying that for the insurance he seems to be a bit more calm and less neddly when driving. Maybe there is a direct relationship between your attitude for something when it doesnt criple you compared to when you have to work hard just to insure your car.

Back
Top Bottom