WoW - I'm big enough to admit when i'm wrong!

Associate
Ok, so ever since WoW came out, with all its hype, i've been avoiding it like the plague, not wanting to be lumped in with the "l33t h4x0r ub3r-g33k" crowd :D

And after watching South Parks "Make Love Not Warcraft" episode (if you haven't seen it yet, watch it, so damn funny! and made using actually WoW footage) i was convinced that it was a pants game for number crunching nerds who would dissolve in direct sunlight.

Well, a couple of days ago i was convinced by a mate to at least try the 10 day trial, so i set up an account, got me a human rogue and took my first steps in Northshire.

At this point i feel i need to send a warning to anyone else thinking of dipping their toes in the WoW -

WARNING - THIS GAME IS DANGEROUSLY ADDICTICE. PLAYING CAN RESULT IN COMPLETE LOSS OF TIME!!

I was on it all monday night, all tuesday night, and then comes wednesday, my day off, for me to get important stuff done like washing clothes and watching mythbusters. However, this time, my Wednesday went as follows -

12pm - get up late due to being on Wow until 2.30am
12.30 pm - start WoW
1am Thursday morning - End Wow and stumble to bed.

excluding the odd break for toilet/smoke/drink, i had the longest gaming run i've ever had! 12 hours on a single game! After this revelation, i felt compeled to apologise to the world about my previous comments.

So, i stand up and say a big sorry to all the other WoW players who i have bad mouthed in on of my ill informed rants about the game prior to my enlightenment.

Needless to say, i won't be stopping at the end of the 10 day trial!!

Soldato
Yes, it can be scarily addictive.

I just came back to WoW after a very long break.

Ah, I'll log off now.

Oh, I can just go and close this quest off, ooh and that one is pretty close, I can do that quick.

Ah, I'd better just sell, repair and check the AH.

Ooh, that looks like a bargain, I'll buy that.

Etc etc

3 hours later you wonder why you aren't in bed yet :p

Man of Honour
To be honest, I'd take that as a warning to give it up now before you're even more addicted :)

Asheron's Call did it for me - messed up my education and social life for two years. Even now I'm tempted to play it again unless I stop myself.

Soldato
heh another one, I gave the 10 day trial to my jobless next door neighbour 3 days ago, his msn has been Wow - sleep -wow for 3 days on the trot. :p

I do think hes enjoying it.

Soldato
Ive started wow again this month, got my paladin to 64 so far, hate paladins want to start a gnome warrior :D

Can't say im addicted tho, i enjoy playing and doing quests. Me my gf and her dad / brother all log on vent and do questing. Even tho i do spend many hrs on the game i dont feel addicted? I just enjoy it :eek:

When i say i dont feel addicted, i mean i can stop playing no problem today if i had to. I just have lot of free time and spend it doing things i enjoy :)

Associate
and thats why ive given up mmorpg's, ive got better things to do than watch my days roll by for pretty much nothing.

dont get me wrong, i loved the ones i played, including WoW, but when i found myself on it all the time i had to ask myself, have i got better things to do, the answer was... yes.

glad you enjoy it though and hope you have a great time, just @ least try to limit ureself in playtime :)

Soldato
i limit myself to 2 hours a day, and MAKE myself get off it after 2 hours.

i might not be the mightiest Belf Paladin in Azeroth ever, but at least i have an offline life.

Soldato
I bet I'd love this if I tried it.

But I've seen what it can do to people. It's turned one of my best mates into a complete social retard. 2 years of no work, no money, no friends, no hobbys, no direction, never goes out, never calls anyone, no exercise, no women, no holidays - living a totally virtual life and has no intentions of changing. Its so bad he's literally 'forgotten' how to behave with real people, so he doesn't have a chance now. Last time i saw him, all he talked about was Warcraft, it was really scary. I visited him after a six month stint abroad, hadn't seen him in all that time, and he physically couldn't tear himself away from the monitor. Me and my mate literally had to pull the plug.

Granted, this is an extreme case - and this guy had some mild problems before - but it's put me off wow like a bad smell.

Associate
Roll a different class than rogue unless you got friends who are always going to grp with you.
Ive been in lots of groups lately and rogues are getting more and more shunned
there is not really any reason for grps to take rogues now in burning crusade anyway.

Soldato
I was addicted until about lv46. I've completely stopped playing now. If I have to see Stormwind, Ironforge, STV, Duskwood etc again, I'm going to be sick. Running around the same areas for weeks is just too boring.

Soldato
wyrdo said:
Yes, it can be scarily addictive.

I just came back to WoW after a very long break.

i dont get how it can be addictive? How is WoW addictive and other mmorpgs not? Same basic principles in most. ie explore n grind get exp and equipment rewards then repeat for ever? However i do think if i get deeper into VG then itll be like quicksand and suck me right in.

played a couple of mmogs but never felt addictive....its strange because i consider myself to have a somewhat addictive personality. e.g. i can easily get addicted to playing online fps games. (unless im absolutely sucking then i just quit ha!)

Soldato
I introduced a friend of mine two weeks ago while he was staying at mine because of a crisis at home......now his missus barely talks to me as he's back in the house but all of his spare time is spent on the PC, playing WoW - badly, I have to say, but he's playing non-stop when he's not at work.

It could be worse, she said, and I quote: "at least he takes a little bit of time away from his pixies to spend with the kids" ......... seriously addictive game.

Man of Honour
When my girlfriend went home for the weekend I pulled my bed to it was under my desk and played solid for two days. That was really really stupid. Glad to be out of it now :)

If SWG is ever revived, god help me.

Associate
been playing my self allways said i would never play it as im way more into fps etc but just been off for 2 weeks and have been playing it for 2 weeks straght had to stop its not good for ure socal life!!!

Soldato
Big Bernard said:
What is it about this game that is so addictive?

(I've not played it so I genuinely don't know)

Its hard to explain or to see what it is thats so addictive about it without actually playing it

Soldato
I suppose its the "want" to get the next level, finish the next quest, upgrade your character.

If there were massive castle seiges in wow so guilds can own towns / castles then i would think its a really great game.

Back
Top Bottom