Can the world stock slump affect us, as consumers?

Soldato
World stock slump hits second day

The markets were surprised by the speed and size of recent declines
Worldwide share prices have continued to fall, triggered by Tuesday's 9% losses on the Shanghai stock market.
The UK's FTSE 100 index fell 1.2% by midday trading. That took declines in the past two sessions to 3.4% and knocked £55bn off its total value.

France's Cac 40 index dropped by 1.1% and Germany's Dax lost 1%. Earlier, markets in Asia, Australia and India had all suffered substantial losses.

Investors are questioning the outlook for economic and earnings growth.

The current global stock sell-off was fuelled by speculation that China's government would try to clamp down on illegal share trading and might impose a capital gains tax on stock market earnings.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6402915.stm

As consumers, could this in any way affect us? I don't know how the stock markets work -well, besides the basic idea. Could this result in higher or lower prices on the products of the affected companies?

Suspended
pyro said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6402915.stm

As consumers, could this in any way affect us? I don't know how the stock markets work -well, besides the basic idea. Could this result in higher or lower prices on the products of the affected companies?
No, absolutely not.

The general public are entirely immune from the consequences of a stock market crash. Research the 1920s & '30s - the only people who lost money were complete bankers :p

Associate
midgetski said:
"The general public are entirely immune from the consequences of a stock market crash"

unless you have savings, or a pension.. or a job.

seconded.

No offence but "The general public are entirely immune from the consequences of a stock market crash" must be one of the most incorrect statements i've seen on here in a while! :o

Suspended
dbailey10 said:
No offence but "The general public are entirely immune from the consequences of a stock market crash" must be one of the most incorrect statements i've seen on here in a while! :o
None taken - "complete bankers" wasn't meant to be taken entirely literally either ;)

Suspended
Shackley said:
The general public are entirely immune from the consequences of a stock market crash. Research the 1920s & '30s - the only people who lost money were complete bankers :p
What the..?

You do realise what happened in the early 1930s, right? Incomes diving across the board, massive unemployment and homelessness, large-scale migration out of the worst affected areas (esp. in America) and a general malaise that allowed extremist governments to come to power?

I have rarely seen anyone be more utterly misinformed.

Soldato
Arcade Fire said:
What the..?

You do realise what happened in the early 1930s, right? Incomes diving across the board, massive unemployment and homelessness, large-scale migration out of the worst affected areas (esp. in America) and a general malaise that allowed extremist governments to come to power?

I have rarely seen anyone be more utterly misinformed.

You do realise that post was not serious? :rolleyes:

EDIT: At least I hope not...

Soldato
hotlinking is bad, but

iron.gif

Suspended
Arcade Fire (of Cambridge) said:
What the..?

Yes, I do.

Do, please, please tell me that you aren't a student at the second most prestigious University in the World - please . . .

Suspended
badgermonkey said:
You do realise that post was not serious? :rolleyes:
Apparently not. :rolleyes:
Shackley said:
Do, please, please tell me that you aren't a student at the second most prestigious University in the World - please . . .
No, we're number 1. I must have missed the classes on spotting obscure jokes on the internet though.

Last edited:

daz

daz

Soldato
Amazing the number of people unable to grasp the concept of sarcasm.

Anyways, back on topic...

I wonder what the bank of england will do with interest rates now...

Suspended
daz said:
I wonder what the bank of England will do with interest rates now...
Dow Jones and Nasdaq are on the way up for the day, so probably nothing - as a direct result of this particular 'blip' anyhow - other factors may result in a rise -or- not, we shall have to see BBC Link.

Back
Top Bottom