Cricket World Cup thread

Caporegime
harris1986 said:
england won't get past the quarters to be honest, the final 4 teams will be South Africa, Australia, Pakistan and Sri Lanka

You would be a foolish man to put Pakistan in that group, the way they have been playing lately ie against SA i wouldnt even put money on them winning a single game...its that bad:(.
Problem is that they have too much bitching going on within the team ie Inzi and Shoaib are at loggerheads from what i have heard and also Shoaib has problems with Woolmer as well. To me Shoaib is a match winner but hes fast becoming a major liability for Pakistan. Turns up when he feels like it and then disappears...although he did help us win the 2nd test where he took 4 wickets but then consequently disappeared citing an injury. If anything they shouldnt pick him at all...at the moment our best hope is Asif who comes in, takes a few wickets and does his job. Inzi is another who is completely and utterly out of form, dont know if he will regain any sort of form for the WC and i woudlnt put any any money on him getting his form back. But you just never know with the Pak's and which team will turn up but im not expecting any miracles...going from odds on favourites to win the WC last yr to odds on favourite to be knocked out is depressing.

Personally my money is on the Aussies to bounce back and win the WC, i cant see England doing anything much...yeh yeh fair enough they beat the Aussies in the recent ODI series but i still dont rate their chances to get past the group stages....other than the Aussies i have to say SA look very good...they are top now in the ODI standings due to the Aussies losing their last 4 matches on a trot.

Associate
jonnyc747 said:
you could have a point but then again 2 weeks ago we didn't know there was such a thing as a good performance by England!

Given that we are one of the top 3 sides in the world and have some of the most talented players, I can only hope that you're joking.

Soldato
I just dont see England as a top 3 ODI team, yes they have done very well in turning around the Aussie tour with some great performances, but are we to forget this is a team who recently lost a home series 5-0 to Sri lanka who at the time were going through terrible form. Furthermore they just dont seem settled on team selection, of all the big teams, i think England are most unsure about their starting eleven. Last year we had Duncan Flethcer saying he was sure of 10 out of his starting 11, that certainly doesnt seem to be the case now.

Associate
chrisd said:
Given that we are one of the top 3 sides in the world and have some of the most talented players, I can only hope that you're joking.

England are in 2nd position in tests but in 7th for ODIs - and they belong there.

Soldato
Regardless of Australias poor recent form you can never really rule them out. Saying that though, I personally don't think this is their year.

I have South Africa down as favourites. I watched every SA vs Pak game and they do look very very impressive. I can't really pick out any weaknesses in the side, apart from the fact they have no quality spinner. I can see them going far, aswel as India and maybe even Sri Lanka.

I hope Pak win it but if Asif isn't backed up with tight fielding and another decent bowler, we haven't a hope in hell. Rana needs to GO. I hope Akhtar or Gul are fit and on form but we will see, I'm still optimistic despite being hammered 3 times by SA :o We did show in the 1 game we won, what the team is capable off, sadly it only happens once in awhile, there is absolutely zero consistency with Pakistan.

Favourites for me: South Africa/India/Pakistan( :p )
Close contenders: Australia/Sri Lanka/West Indies
Unlikely: England/New Zealand
No chance: Zimbabwe etc...

:)

edit: WOW!!! Just saw that NZ managed to chase down Australia's massive score and win yet again last night :eek: :eek: I saw Haydens innings of 181 not out, one of the best i've ever seen and somehow they still lost. NZ will surely fancy themselves now after their last 2 displays, well done to them.

Last edited:
Soldato
Some cricket news:

Brett Lee (Aus) will miss the world cup due to injury! He must be totally gutted. With or without him though I don't think this is Australia's year.

To liven the thread up abit and for those who are interested... :)

Cricket World Cup History: (from BBC sport)

West Indies captain Clive Lloyd lifts the inaugural World Cup
Winners: West Indies beat Australia by 17 runs

Richards smashed 138 in the final at Lord's
Winners: West Indies beat England by 92 runs

India captain Kapil Dev lifts the World Cup after beating West Indies
Winners: India beat West Indies by 43 runs

Gatting's infamous reverse sweep dismissal sees England's World Cup hopes fade
Winners: Australia beat England by seven runs

Wasim Akram and Aamir Sohail celebrate Pakistan's triumph in 1992
Winners: Pakistan beat England by 22 runs

De Silva is mobbed as he raises his bat as Sri Lanka win the World Cup
Winners: Sri Lanka beat Australia by seven wickets

Warne celebrates 4-33 in the final against Pakistan
Winners: Australia beat Pakistan by eight wickets

Australia celebrate winning the World Cup for the third time with a 125-run victory over India
Winners: Australia 359-2 beat India by 125 runs

?????????????????????????????????????????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????

Cricket World Cup Records: (from BBC sport)

TOP RUNSCORERS

Sachin Tendulkar (India) ...1,732
Javed Miandad (Pakistan)... 1,083
Aravinda de Silva (Sri Lanka)... 1,064
Viv Richards (West Indies)... 1,013
Mark Waugh (Australia)... 1,004

MOST CENTURIES

Sourav Ganguly (India) ...4
Mark Waugh (Australia)... 4
Sachin Tendulkar (India)... 4
Ramiz Raja (Pakistan)... 3
Saeed Anwar (Pakistan)... 3
Viv Richards (West Indies)... 3
Ricky Ponting (Australia)... 3

HIGHEST INDIVIDUAL SCORES

Gary Kirsten (South Africa)...188 not out v United Arab Emirates, 1996
Sourav Ganguly (India)...183 v Sri Lanka, 1999
Viv Richards (West Indies)... 181 v Sri Lanka, 1987
Kapil Dev (India)... 175 not out v Zimbabwe, 1983
Craig Wishart (Zimbabwe)...172 not out v Namibia, 2003

MOST WICKETS

Wasim Akram (Pakistan)... 55
Glenn McGrath (Australia)... 45
Javagal Srinath (India)... 44
Allan Donald (South Africa)... 38
Chaminda Vaas (Sri Lanka)... 36

BEST BOWLING FIGURES

Glenn McGrath (Australia)...7-15 v Namibia, 2003
Andy Bichel (Australia)... 7-20 v England, 2003
Winston Davis (West Indies)...7-51 v Australia, 1983
Gary Gilmour (Australia)... 6-14 v England, 1975
Shane Bond (New Zealand)... 6-23 v Australia, 2003
Ashish Nehra (India) 6-23 v England, 2003

MOST CATCHES (outfielders)

Ricky Ponting (Australia)... 18
Chris Cairns (New Zealand)... 16
Sanath Jayasuriya (Sri Lanka)... 15
Aravinda de Silva (Sri Lanka)... 14
Anil Kumble (India)... 14
Steve Waugh (Australia)... 14

MOST DISMISSALS (wicket-keepers)

Adam Gilchrist (Australia)... 35 (33 catches, 2 stumpings)
Moin Khan (Pakistan)...30 (23, 7)
Alec Stewart (England)... 23 (21, 2)
Ridley Jacobs (West Indies)... 22 (21, 1)
Wasim Bari (Pakistan)... 22 (18, 4)
Mark Boucher (South Africa)... 22

HIGHEST TEAM SCORES

Sri Lanka...398-5 v Kenya, 1996
India... 373-6 v Sri Lanka, 1999
West Indies... 360-4 v Sri Lanka, 1987
Australia... 359-2 v India, 2003
Zimbabwe... 340-2 v Namibia, 2003

LOWEST TEAM SCORES

Canada... 35 v Sri Lanka, 2003
Namibia...45 v Australia, 2003
Canada... 45 v England, 1979
Scotland... 68 v West Indies, 1999
Pakistan...74 v England, 1992

Last edited:
Caporegime
Rosbif said:
Yeah .. they're out with 'injuries' I'm sure. :rolleyes:

Why do you have info saying otherwise??...

Anyways its a big shock that they wont have Asif or Akhtar available and neither will they have Razzaq, whos out through injury or Afridi, whos banned for a few matches but can play later on in the WC.

As far as im concerned thats Pakistans chance gone, i dont think they will even get past the group stages let alone win the final..if they do then it will be a miracle. But stranger things have happened so who knows but i really dont think Pakistan will win the WC let alone get past the group stages. Saying that though, id love them to prove everyone wrong and win the WC for a second time around...
But i have a feeling either the Aussies or SA will win it this yr, if i was a betting man then id say my moneys on Aus to win it but they have a rough trot recently...will be interesting to see if they can bounce back.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Rosbif said:
You always manage to find a place to have a dig at England in your posts. Its quite a talent.

Hehe glad you noticed, i have many other talents but seriously it was meant in jest...but not my problem if u cant take a bit of rib poking about your beloved England:p.

Seriously though at the moment England have a better chance of winning the WC than Pakistan...but thats on paper...on the pitch we will see i suppose.

Last edited:
Associate
Listen mate the thing about Asif and Akhtar is the fact that they were all set to go to the Carrib, then they go to London for a test, and now they're pulling out with injuries that have appeared from no where. Its just so cynical.

I'm not saying they're on the juice, or that they've failed a test, but I dont believe they're injured for a second, given everything that surrounds the events.

Maybe the PCB doesnt want to risk it. Maybe they still have traces of it in their bodies. Remember, if they test for it again its a life ban and I think most would agree that losing 2 players like Asif and Akhtar would be a great shame. :(

Soldato
No Razzaq, no Asif and no Akhtar??? This is just ******* great. So now we have Gul and Rana leading the bowling? :( If we get anywhere near the semi's it will be an absolute miracle.

Rosbif I think your right in assuming the PCB doesn't want to risk them, that sounds like the case. Akhtar may be injured but Asif is fine, but because there might still be trace amounts of the illegal substance in their system, they aren't gonna risk them both getting banned for life.

It was painful enough seeing Pakistan getting whooped by SA recently, but I think worse might be to come... :mad: :mad: We need some sort of a miracle tbh, such a shame, and I was so looking forward to the world cup aswel.

Associate
Back
Top Bottom