• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

was cleaning my 9800pro when...

Soldato
one of the fins snapped off the fan :eek:

i'd taken the card out to give it it's routine heatsink and fan dusting when i noticed the fin laying on the floor.

i've put the card back in the system, ran 3dmark (albeit 2001se) and all was ok. no unusual noises coming from the fan, just it's usual slight whining sound.

reckon it'll be ok? one missing fin won't make THAT much difference will it? The most intensive thing this PC runs is WoW, usually only for 2 - 3 hours at a time.

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Soldato
The main problem is the fan will be weighted wrong now, hence the odd noise. This may cause the fan motor to burn out pretty quick . You should really think about replacing it asap.

Soldato
OP
Cheers for your reply. Not gonna get a new card (sig should give you a hint as to why!), but I'm going to order an aftermarket cooler from OcUK.

I only ever play WoW on my PC, and my 9800pro runs it nicely.

Last edited:
Associate
funny i just damaged my radeon 9800 pro when fitting a new psu. Seems all new psus come with clips on either side of the molex plug, well i didnt know they go back so bent the plug out a bit and had green display with stripes of darker green. Ive played about with it and its working ok just now though. Luckily this computers not gonna be used by me after today

Associate
If your using the standard fan, why not replace it with a Zalman flower cooler? Low noise and excellent cooling, and the reassurance you won't have any problems due to the missing fin. You will probably be able to overclock it too!

As for monitoring temp's, use ATI Tool.

Regards,

Michael

Soldato
If that doesn't work and it doesn;t properly operate go get yourself an Arctic Silencer, fitted one to my old 9800 Pro just 3 weeks ago - works a dream!

Soldato
OP
mishima said:
Excellent, what brand of 9800 is it by the way?

It's a Sapphire card so it's a bog standard reference 9800pro (128mb). Is that OK to use with the Arctic cooler? Hope so as I've got it fitted now!

I'm not sure about it yet though (i'm terrible with stuff I haven't used before). Can you take a look at my post?

Link to my post

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom