nd grad systems

Associate
really want to give landscapes a go. and lookign at nd grad filters. What are good ones to get and roughly how much do they cost? been looking at the cokin sysetm and a bit unsure of what system is the best to buy into, what filters ar ethe ones that most people regularly use etc.

any advice would be gratefuly accepted!
btw I would be using a 5d with a 77mm filter size lens (17-40 or 24-70)

thanks

Associate
This was done with a Cokin P series G1 grad. I used to make the clouds look more dramatic. Took meter reading from the land and used the filter to stop the clouds from overexposing.

arneside_view2.jpg

Supposedly, Lee filters are the ones to go for, but they arent cheap.
Just ordered some Kood ND filters to fit the P series mount.
Cant remember how much the filter was since i bought it around 10 years ago along with the P series mount.
Just had to buy a new adapter ring to go on the Nikons 18-70 lens.

Soldato
Cokin ND grads reportedly leave a colour cast. So do the Koods.

Hitech ND grads are apparently a better choice over the Cokins, and work out at about £3 more (£45) for a set of three, (0.3, 0.6, 0.9). They apparently have no colour cast issues, and are a cheap alternative to Lee filters for the non-loaded photographer.

By all means start off with Kood light and dark grey grad filters to see how you go with them, but I'd say skip Cokin and then buy Hitech. The Kood grads go for ~£7 each on t'bay, and you can pick up adaptors and holders for about 6 quid each, and they will be compatible with whatever P size filters you ultimately decide to go with.

Man of Honour
I've got some Cokin P series NDs & ND grads and to be honest I'm not that impressed. There's a distinct colour cast from all the filters, the 2 stop ND is brown and the others are pinky.

I'm told that Hi-Tech filters are a good compromise, they're apparently made in the same factory as Lee filters but are a fraction of the cost and fit (usually) in a Cokin P series holder. Only problem is that there is only one UK supplier.

Associate
Found a set of 3 Hi-tech ND 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9 filters for £27 so thats not to bad.
Will see what the KooD look like when they arrive.

Didnt know about Hi-tech, only realy heard of cokin, Kood, lee and Singh-ray.
Thanks for the tip.

Soldato
Shoei said:
Found a set of 3 Hi-tech ND 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9 filters for £27 so thats not to bad.
Will see what the KooD look like when they arrive.

Didnt know about Hi-tech, only realy heard of cokin, Kood, lee and Singh-ray.
Thanks for the tip.

£27? The filters at that price are NOT the grads. Beware!

Also note that the prices quoted are EXC. VAT, and p&p is iirc another £8.50 on top, which is also vatable. For the ND kit it works out at £41.71p!

ND Grad kit costs £45.24 inc p&p.

Associate
danza said:
£27? The filters at that price are NOT the grads. Beware!

Also note that the prices quoted are EXC. VAT, and p&p is iirc another £8.50 on top, which is also vatable. For the ND kit it works out at £41.71p!

ND Grad kit costs £45.24 inc p&p.

I know, they are the normal ND filters, which is what im after.
The Grad kit costs £35 inc VAT without delivery.
Still not a bad price for a set of 3 filters.
About half the price of one Lee filter!

Associate
Just a quick question, whats the difference with a grad and an all in? is the grad used so the sky / bright area does not become over exposed? And the normal ND to stop down the aparature? To get longer exposures in daylight?

Cant seem to locate the Hi-tech sets? do they do a set and do the screw on the lens or need a holder type system...Example of the above would be nice, I.e pics taken with the grad and stanard kits?

Also just to add...

If i have a 10-20mm with a 77mm filter and a 28-75mm with a 67mm filter...

Is there an adaptor to use 1 set of filters for the two lenses? if that makes sense...rather than buying a 67 just using the 77mm for both at all

Thanks

Last edited:
Man of Honour
n30_mkii said:
Just a quick question, whats the difference with a grad and an all in? is the grad used so the sky / bright area does not become over exposed? And the normal ND to stop down the aparature? To get longer exposures in daylight?
Yup, that's it basically although using a full ND doesn't affect the aperture rather it allows you to either use a wider aperture without going above the fastest shutter possible or to get a long exposure in good light.

n30_mkii said:
Cant seem to locate the Hi-tech sets? do they do a set and do the screw on the lens or need a holder type system...
The HiTech filters are only available from a single outlet in the UK. They come as a set (either 3 grads or 3 full NDs) and use a Cokin style holder, they should fit a Cokin P holder but there have been some reports of them being slightly too big.

n30_mkii said:
Is there an adaptor to use 1 set of filters for the two lenses? if that makes sense...rather than buying a 67 just using the 77mm for both at all
I'm not sure about the HiTech mounts themselves but the Cokin one comes in too parts, the holder itself and a screw in ring which is basically a disk with a hole in it. The ring comes in various sizes for the various threads but they all have the same outer diameter to fit the holder. Therefore you buy 1 holder and an adapter ring for each size of filter thread you have.

Associate
If i have a 10-20mm with a 77mm filter and a 28-75mm with a 67mm filter...

Thanks

for the 10-20mm you'll have to use either Hitech ND grads/ Cokin Pro-Z / Lee Filters. Due to the wide'ness of the 10-20mm, Esp so at 10-15mm you need to use a bigger filter size. The Cokin P ones are 85mmX85mm.

If you do want to use Cokin P filters with the 10-20mm you can cut the holder (which usually holds 3) down to 1 filter but then of course you have a problem if you want to use more then one. Or you can get the Cokin Wide Angle holder. If you want to ensure that you do not get any vignetting with a very wide lens. The Lee Filter Holder is somewhat expensive, but is much easier to use and and built better than Cokin P. The filter size is larger (100mm) vs the P sized filters (85mm) so you will have virtually no chance of vignetting, especially if you use the Lee wideangle filter adapter. Hitech 100mm filters will also fit into the Lee holder.

Lucky for me, i've just got a set for Lee ND grads :).

Back
Top Bottom