The *Official* Eve Online Thread

JC

JC

Soldato
nokinidea said:
please excuse my ignorance but WTF does that mean exactly. :confused:

If you are referring to the post I think you are, then the comments about the "sky is falling" relate to the fact that the server went down unscheduled for a number of hours last night, and was then later fixed...

Associate
JC said:
If you are referring to the post I think you are, then the comments about the "sky is falling" relate to the fact that the server went down unscheduled for a number of hours last night, and was then later fixed...

yes it was an amusing post on the e-o forums, people where talking about over reacting and stuff.

Associate
I finally ran a mission in eve last night for the first time in months. Got an autocannon Hurricane and ran lvl 3 blockade against Angels. Cause ive never ran it before i ended up triggering all the spawns early on LOL Boy was that a challenge :) my tank was blown away on most passes. Had to swap from 425mm autos to 650mm II's with Quake M and shredded the lot at range. Awesome mission.

Although i'l be happy in 8 days time though when i can fly a Sleipnir with 720mm II's. Sold my Machariel to a corp mate so i've got plenty of iskies :) Gonna look into a faction tank on it and run lvl 4's with it :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Inquisitor said:
Well, it was Guristas that I was ratting, so that may have made a difference (missiles and all that). Also, the tank could easily last 5 minutes or so on a large (i.e. several 1.5mil rats) spawn, it's just that they take so damn long to kill in a Retri.
Guristas are no sweat at all. Kinetic damage which is natively high at about 80% iirc. The AB gives you about 500m/s as well, so missiles don't hurt that much. Higher Lvl3's will begin to hurt.. webbers are a PITA. Belt rats don't even raise eyebrows.

I used a Retri to sweep through Mordus missions without even trying.

Soldato
JC said:
Yup, I was referring to that.. I saw a message about the voice server going down but didn't know about any other type of downtime going on, scheduled or not.

10 days to go. :D

Soldato
Byron5184 said:
I finally ran a mission in eve last night for the first time in months. Got an autocannon Hurricane and ran lvl 3 blockade against Angels. Cause ive never ran it before i ended up triggering all the spawns early on LOL Boy was that a challenge :) my tank was blown away on most passes. Had to swap from 425mm autos to 650mm II's with Quake M and shredded the lot at range. Awesome mission.

Although i'l be happy in 8 days time though when i can fly a Sleipnir with 720mm II's. Sold my Machariel to a corp mate so i've got plenty of iskies :) Gonna look into a faction tank on it and run lvl 4's with it :)
if you want real damage go for a 425mm auto sleipnir with 3-4 gyro 2s

Associate
I am REALLY thinking of getting into PvP now.

Was in 0.3 last night with both my accounts. A pirate appeared while i was belt ratting. He turned up at one of the stations and started scanning the belts. I knew this because akimichi was 20km from him smiling. He warped to a belt, so i knew he was heading right for me. I wanted a fight so i was ready to take him on.

I made one mistake, i didnt zoom the camera out enough to see him enter the belt. So he managed to lock me and open fire before i realised he already entered the belt. So the battle lasted a little while but he got my into hull as i had him at about half armour. He offered a 5 mill ransom so i paid him and we went our seperate ways.

But the rush was insane. Afterwards i had a little chat with him. Turns out he made a mistake when he entered the belt and took longer to lock me than normal. So he was expecting me to leave. If i had engaged when he entered the belt i could have taken him.

He was in an autocannon rupture with drones, i was in an passive tanked autocannon jaguar.

So i'm thinking of finding a low sec pirating corp to join as i'm gonna turn into an evil bugger but i dont want to go to 0.0.

Associate
Byron5184 said:
I am REALLY thinking of getting into PvP now.

Was in 0.3 last night with both my accounts. A pirate appeared while i was belt ratting. He turned up at one of the stations and started scanning the belts. I knew this because akimichi was 20km from him smiling. He warped to a belt, so i knew he was heading right for me. I wanted a fight so i was ready to take him on.

I made one mistake, i didnt zoom the camera out enough to see him enter the belt. So he managed to lock me and open fire before i realised he already entered the belt. So the battle lasted a little while but he got my into hull as i had him at about half armour. He offered a 5 mill ransom so i paid him and we went our seperate ways.

But the rush was insane. Afterwards i had a little chat with him. Turns out he made a mistake when he entered the belt and took longer to lock me than normal. So he was expecting me to leave. If i had engaged when he entered the belt i could have taken him.

He was in an autocannon rupture with drones, i was in an passive tanked autocannon jaguar.

So i'm thinking of finding a low sec pirating corp to join as i'm gonna turn into an evil bugger but i dont want to go to 0.0.

Welcome to the real game :cool: isk is just 1's and 0's and is only really worth the amount of fun it gives you, i bet that fight was worth 5 mil.

How did you have your overview set? You should have seen him arrive in the belt on that before you noticed his ship on screen. Make sure you are showing all shiptypes and are not showing any extra junk like wrecks or asteroid belts or anything like that.

If you want set all players with <0 security status to an obvous color as well.

JC

JC

Soldato
Byron5184 said:

I'd suggest you resort your overview and remove any unneeded items, this should let you know quickly when someone enters your belt.

Soldato
Dj_Jestar said:
Guristas are no sweat at all. Kinetic damage which is natively high at about 80% iirc. The AB gives you about 500m/s as well, so missiles don't hurt that much. Higher Lvl3's will begin to hurt.. webbers are a PITA. Belt rats don't even raise eyebrows.

I used a Retri to sweep through Mordus missions without even trying.
What size rats can you take on in a Retri then? I find that anything bigger than a 1mil Gurista rat I can't kill because my damage output isn't high enough, so I just end up sitting there for ages tanking it and not being able to breach its shields. It's not my skills either; I have practically maxed out Amarr ship and gunnery/energy weapon skills.

Last edited:
Associate
Now that my new laptop is in the mail, my brother and I were thinking of strking out as a pair, one miner, one fighter so we could slip into tougher regions without having to run screaming at first sight of a pirate.

Can anyone suggest a decent way to start? Obviously the fighter would go with high Perception/Intelligence and a military career so he could handle the better fighting gear as early as possible but what about the miner? I guess Charisma would be handy as you'd be doing all the selling but otherwise... not got a clue.

Anyone know what kit/skills to look for?

Soldato
Dj_Jestar said:
dunno about massive guristas. Used to have difficulty with massive angels, so guess it's the same. No probs with faction/officer sanshas though :p
angels are a pain the the arse for amarr! em/therm damage? meh!

my wolf seems able to munch though all the serp 700-900k spawns down here, don't get bigger rats sadly (well, shadow serp but I use the command ship when I see those!)

Soldato
Thing said:
Now that my new laptop is in the mail, my brother and I were thinking of strking out as a pair, one miner, one fighter so we could slip into tougher regions without having to run screaming at first sight of a pirate.

Can anyone suggest a decent way to start? Obviously the fighter would go with high Perception/Intelligence and a military career so he could handle the better fighting gear as early as possible but what about the miner? I guess Charisma would be handy as you'd be doing all the selling but otherwise... not got a clue.

Anyone know what kit/skills to look for?
you're both going to want fairy flat skills,
I'd say getting one of you in a vexor and one in a barge with some stabs/interta stabilisers on and you should be ok for the rats down to 0.0 (warp out if you're locked in the barge) but I'd also sujest that at first you both just rat in 0.0 as your gonna make more than mining to start with
something like a bigplate vexor (1600 tungsten, 150mm T2 rails, good drones) would see you right in most regions.
BUT above all else you're gonna want to be in a corp thats down there as a loan miner and figther are gonna be REALY tempting for any 2+man squads going around

Associate
Vtec9k said:
Welcome to the real game :cool: isk is just 1's and 0's and is only really worth the amount of fun it gives you, i bet that fight was worth 5 mil.

How did you have your overview set? You should have seen him arrive in the belt on that before you noticed his ship on screen. Make sure you are showing all shiptypes and are not showing any extra junk like wrecks or asteroid belts or anything like that.

If you want set all players with <0 security status to an obvous color as well.

That was my other mistake. I have two overview presets, empire (mining, missions etc..) and War (targets, pirates etc..) i had the wrong one selected, hence not seeing him :( And yes, it was worth the 5 mill.

Skully, as for not wanting to go to 0.0 is that low sec is a lot less likely to become blob wars etc.. Plus, becoming a pirate sounds a lot more fun that being just another 0.0 character.

Back
Top Bottom