Vista Home Premium... Full edition?

Associate
Just in the process of buying a new PC and was all set with:

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit Edition DVD - OEM

when I suddenly noticed:

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Full Edition DVD

The only differences seem to be about £120 :eek: and that the first is OEM, the other is retail.

Is there anything else different with these two or is it just because the cheap one's OEM. The phrase "Full Edition" unnerves me.

Thanks for any help!

Soldato
The Full Edition (Retail) will give you a license for 32bit and 64bit installations (one installed at a time) but will allow you to use it on any number of computers as long as it's only ever used on one machine at a time.

OEM will be exactly the same software wise but you'll only get a 32bit or 64bit license (depending on which one you buy) and it'll be locked to the first computer you install it on.

With the retail editions I believe they only come with the 32bit DVD though, you have to pay around £8 extra for the 64bit disc.

Associate
OP
Ahhh great thanks :)

Since my comp's going to be brand new I doubt I'll be replacing it any time soon.

Do you know what the OEM version considers to be "my computer" though. Can I upgrade things like the GFX card and hard drive or does it lock onto the exact system configuration?

Soldato
You can not change the case or motherboard. As they can't detect whether there was a case change it is irrelevant. Any other hardware change will require a re activation which is done either via the internet or a phone call. You can change the motherboard for a identical one in the case of hardware failure.

Soldato
OEM isnt a 'bad' deal, its 1/3 the price of retail, so unless you replace your motherboard more often than 3 times in 5 years, then might as well go OEM, and just buy a new license each upgrade.

Not only that, you can always 'sell' your case+motherboard+vista as a package if you ever want to upgrade the motherboard.

To the letter of the licensing agreement, you must stick the license sticker onto the PC that the software is loaded onto.

Soldato
Steve Watford said:
usually a quick phone call to MS after changing your motherboard and they'll reactivate your copy. But its a bit hit and miss.

Yeah, it usually works fine but the license wouldn't be valid after a change like that despite being activated...depends if you want to stay legal or just have a working copy.

Back
Top Bottom