Uni students

Suspended
dirtydog said:
Well the taxpayer picks up your entire council tax bill for you of course :)
Yeah, it's awesome isn't it. I also get £13000 + £4000 per year and don't pay any income tax on it, pay subsidised rent and get my holidays paid for because I claim money back as 'conference expenses'. Jealous much? ;)

P.S. I know for sure that I wouldn't have had as much fun if I'd lived at home as I did by living at university. It's different for everyone of course, but if given then chance to do university again I certainly wouldn't choose to live at home.

Associate
big_white_dog84 said:
If you stay at home your chances of succeeding in your degree are far greater.

I don't think it's possible to make such a sweeping statement.

I'm not singling you out here; this relates to everyone who has replied and argued that living away from home is going to affect your academic work as you'll be going out on the lash at every opportunity. In my opinion, this is most certainly not the case.

Of course, there are students who constantly put off or miss work due to this, however the vast majority, at least in my experience, know when it is appropriate to go out drinking (or engage in activities other than work) and when it is not. Having to make this decision for yourself, and being able to organise your social life and work into a harmonious relationship, is part and parcel of growing up.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Arcade Fire said:
Yeah, it's awesome isn't it. I also get £13000 + £4000 per year and don't pay any income tax on it, pay subsidised rent and get my holidays paid for because I claim money back as 'conference expenses'. Jealous much? ;)

P.S. I know for sure that I wouldn't have had as much fun if I'd lived at home as I did by living at university. It's different for everyone of course, but if given then chance to do university again I certainly wouldn't choose to live at home.

PhD? Lucky fella :)

Nix

Nix

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
How many people who live away for Uni are 'completely independant'? Not many I'd guess. I don't know a single person at Uni who isn't being at least partially funded in some way by their parents.

My parents can't afford to help me out. I don't get a single penny from them, so there's someone you know straight away ;)

big_white_dog84 said:

Possibly the most rubbish, flippant excuse for an opinion ever! I know for a fact that if I'd stayed at home I would be falling back into old habits of not bothering and leaving things until the last minute. Moving away allowed me to take control on my life and to be quite honest - I needed it.

Berger said:

Not everyone lives in a palace you know. My current room and even my room next year is larger than my room at home. The kitchen is pretty much the same size, if not bigger.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nix said:
My parents can't afford to help me out. I don't get a single penny from them, so there's someone you know straight away ;)

Same for me, my mother cant afford to put me through Uni either. Thank god for Student Loans and Bursaries.

big_white_dog84 said:

Id have to disagree with that. Ive learnt a lot since coming to Uni, hell ive even started to learn how to code! (something I never thought id do after A-Level and VB). Its great fun working with people who share the same passion as you for the course and it gives you an impression of the people youll be working with later in life if you choose to follow that career path.

Soldato
Move away to Uni.

When you have a drunken conversation in your room at 4am with some of the best mates you've ever had, you'll be glad you did.

Associate
[TW]Fox said:
Virtually all my friends at Uni live away from home. I've spent the last 2.5 years with them, etc etc. I'm aware of what they experience that I don't - there are things, but they are not that numerous. The figure of missing out 80% of Uni life is hugely inaccurate. I'm certainly not enjoying only 20% of the experience others have!

It may not be 80% but it's definitely higher than 20%, so much random stuff happens.

big_white_dog84 said:
Your first and only reason for going to uni is to get a degree. The 'University experience' is basically getting wasted 5 nights a week. If that's what you are after then just get a full time job and at least you will have enough money to do it.

So people aren't allowed to have fun.

big_white_dog84 said:

If anything you're more likely to be lazy and not do it.

Mattus said:
Move away to Uni.

When you have a drunken conversation in your room at 4am with some of the best mates you've ever had, you'll be glad you did.

Just got back and had one of them. :D

Man of Honour
Arcade Fire said:

How do you not pay income tax? You still pay tax as a student :confused:

Suspended
[TW]Fox said:
How do you not pay income tax? You still pay tax as a student :confused:
The 13 is a maintenance grant because I'm doing a PhD - it comes straight from the government (well, via a research council and my department...) so if I paid tax on it they'd just have to increase the grant. Saves hassle. The 4 is actual earned income, but it's not enough to exceed my personal allowance.

I'm frankly amazed at the number of people who think that students don't pay tax full stop, though.One guy I was talking to basically thought that students were the scum of the earth because none of them pay any tax. That conversation didn't last long, as you can imagine.

Back
Top Bottom