HDR, IR and a Gig (Rifles)

Associate
Hi again, here's what I've done lately...

These are from around Hill Wootton (?) near Leamington Spa. This is the first time I've taken my tripod out so of course I used it for some HDR and IR craziness. Interesting thing someone pointed out to me on DA is diffraction caused by small apertures link . This was in response to me saying there was a bit of blur for the first HDR, he suggested the above. It could just have likely been camera shake though.
One more thing, apologies for size. If you don't have 1280 or more, you should try to. Well, I'm being lazy in resizing, Flickr dictated these sizes:

415678591_2624a45815_b.jpg

2 An IR version of #1
415678723_d596ae6ba6_b.jpg

3 This one looks a bit weak really, I may go back to it some time.
415678789_36dc9ffa5f_b.jpg

4 This looked way better in my head. Maybe I should have zoomed in a little more.
415691121_c3f3679ec8_b.jpg

5 An IR version of #4
415691207_a4ad399a18_b.jpg

Associate
OP
Now for the gig I did last night at Warwick Students Union. The headline band were the Rifles. I got to accompany the resident union photographer, which was nice of him.
The light was mental for the 2 support bands; red, red or blue. I got some decent shots though so can't complain too much

Support 1
415470187_0a608f41b7_b.jpg

7 (should crop this?)
415470304_992133f88a_b.jpg

415469957_6f75ba1aa2_b.jpg

415469551_ca2690ae91.jpg

415469703_39e3575dce_b.jpg

14 could have been such an amazing capture if it didnt have that thing in the lower right!! So much potential there.

15 is my fav from them

Out of the landscape shots the HDR ones are the only ones I like. The infrared isnt giving enough punch.

Soldato
I like the HDR's very nice shots, also the IR don't really do anything to me.
P.S you've got .15 labelled twice.

Man of Honour
#1 - WOW! What a stunning shot. I don't know what else to stay, it's just one of those photographs that makes me step back and say wow. The depth, the colours and the contrast all do it for me. Excellent.

The rest of them are generally good, #14 being the only other one that stands out for me.

Overall a very high standard with that stunnder #1 coming out top.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the feedback guys!

The above are my first proper IR shots with an almost correct white balance, I've never nailed the blue/red tone before so I'm quite happy with #2, not so much with #5 though. I agree with fstop about them lacking punch though, maybe I'll get photoshop to make them better
I think #1 is the best from my walk about on Wednesday too. I may go back and make the building fill the frame...

I think I like the gig photos more than you lot but hey!
Agreed the blob in #15 is annoying, wish it wasn't there...

Numbers fixed...

Its not really the lack of processing thats putting me off the IR. Dont get me wrong, I love IR! I really do. But that 1st shot is so impactful in HDR because it really contrasts the colors agaisnt each other. Where as IR makes it mainly white. The photograph includes soo much sky, the HDR is giving 200% more punch than the IR.

Because the IR has given you a almost black n white sky its looking very blended. The HDR has kept the blue sky and white clouds a mile apart giving it so much impact.

Soldato
Wow, love the landscape ones!

TBH I hate you, mainly because yesterday and today were great days for photography, I was sat work all day looking at the fantastic clouds and knew they would make a good photo like you've done :(

I am pretty sure that the weekend is going to be overcast as normal and not much chance to take decent pics.

I actually by mistake followed your footsteps last week and made a walk up past Newbold Comyn onto that hill with the odd fire jobby on it, also took a walk round the little nature reserve, muddy as hell tho and the lighting was rubbish, but a nice 3 hour walk around places I've not been before.

Still it was a nice walk, just wishing for more colour than muddy brown and dark green.

Really love the landscape ones, really nice job, and no.15 of the gig photos stands out for me :)

EDIT:

actually, did you use any lens filters on the first HDR pic?

Also where was that railway taken, I am assuming near Kenilworth?

Hill Wooton isnt that much of a place to visit per se so how come you chose to go there?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
BruceLee said:
Wow, love the landscape ones!

TBH I hate you, mainly because yesterday and today were great days for photography, I was sat work all day looking at the fantastic clouds and knew they would make a good photo like you've done :(

I am pretty sure that the weekend is going to be overcast as normal and not much chance to take decent pics.

I actually by mistake followed your footsteps last week and made a walk up past Newbold Comyn onto that hill with the odd fire jobby on it, also took a walk round the little nature reserve, muddy as hell tho and the lighting was rubbish, but a nice 3 hour walk around places I've not been before.

Still it was a nice walk, just wishing for more colour than muddy brown and dark green.

Really love the landscape ones, really nice job, and no.15 of the gig photos stands out for me :)

EDIT:

actually, did you use any lens filters on the first HDR pic?

Also where was that railway taken, I am assuming near Kenilworth?

Hill Wooton isnt that much of a place to visit per se so how come you chose to go there?

Well, being a student, I had Wednesday off :p I really should have been doing some work though!

Newbold Comyn was muddy as hell when I went too. The mud still coats my shoes! I know what you mean though, I found it hard to take interesting shots. And to be fair my shots were only decent because I HDR'd them! (this was from a bird watching hut-the first one you come to)

I always use a polariser when outdoors, they're pretty essential I'm-ho.

1 and 2 were taken from a Disk Golf course (god knows...) I found on 'Old Milverton Lane' / 'Sandy Lane'. Search live maps for CV31, then head north a bit on the A452, it's off the round-a-bout near the hospital.
The train line is right by 'Old Milverton', you should be able to see it on the map.
There is a pretty nice looking brick arch bridge for the train too, I may visit that when the flood-bogginess goes down.

I didn't really choose to go anywhere, I just knew there were some gently rolling fields on A452, so I got on a bus and got off at any time. I then wandered down that road until I got to Warwick. Which was a big shock as I thought I'd end up in Leamington!

Fstop11 said:
It's not really the lack of processing that's putting me off the IR. Don't get me wrong, I love IR! I really do. But that 1st shot is so tactfulness in HDR because it really contrasts the colours against each other. Where as IR makes it mainly white. The photograph includes soo much sky, the HDR is giving 200% more punch than the IR.

Because the IR has given you a almost black n white sky its looking very blended. The HDR has kept the blue sky and white clouds a mile apart giving it so much impact.

True, the HDR has tons more impact. I was thinking of the lack of colour in the IR earlier, and how I should have got more in.
The IR sky is also blended as it was 1 long exposure, but it's kinda cool how you get movement in the sky, you feel the clouds moving over. You have a shot where the clouds are zooming past a view of a village IRC, that looks great. A blurred sky would probably be better if ground played a bigger part in the frame.

Associate
Nice selection of pictures :)

From your landscape efforts I really like the colours and contrast in #1

From your gig photos #14 & #15 are the pick of the bunch for me and they have plenty of energy, I do however feel that these could possibly do with a slightly tighter crop

Back
Top Bottom