Need Adivce on new Sound Card - X-Fi?

Permabanned
hello.
i currently have a Asonic C-Media CMI8768+8CH Sound Card
it cost me around a tenner,

as for my speakers i have Creative Labs Inspire 5.1 P5800
for my pc, and a pioneer amp with 4 jamo speakers on my hifi.

there both not connected.

but i would like to set my ps2 up on my pc, i can connect my ps2 through my monitor Dell 2047. but i wouldnt have sound, is there a really nice sound card i could connect my ps2 with aswell as my pc.

maybe optical?

i have been looking at the X-fi range...

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=11

there is a lot to choose from, i wouldnt mind paying the extra if i know its going to last me, and work with most of my equipment.

what i have noticed with the soundcard i bought, its good. but... when it comes to playing dvd's through windows media player, the sound is terrable really really quiet?

will a x-fi cound card help... and work good with my speakers?

i play a lot of games/music/dvd's so i need it to run really nice on each.
and also to connected my ps2 aswell. so i can use my pc speakers with it.

i even tried downloading a windows media plugin - SRS Audio Sandbox.
but didnt really wow me... and its a trial.

i could use some advice on what kind of card i should get.
i like the look at the pro series and the fatality ones...

could use some adivce if you own these. or a simular set up.

Associate
Don't get the X-Fi if you plan to use optical, something like the X-Meridian is regarded as the best bet there.

But the X-Fi is probably the superior card overall, even over analogue.

You'll certainly see a huge jump in sound quality either way.

Permabanned
OP
thanks for the reply.

id like to get a creative card really. since im using there speakers and generally allways done well for me in the past.

i do like the pro version, but just way to expensive.
so im looking at the gamer version.

whats the difference between the...

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS Edition 7.1 Soundcard - Retail
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SC-032-CL&groupid=701&catid=11&subcat=

and

Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Professional 7.1 Soundcard - Retail
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SC-044-CL&groupid=701&catid=11&subcat=

or is there another good one i should look at?

i dont mind if it doesnt do optical but it would be nice,
how would i go about connecting my ps2 to the soundcard and using my pc speakers?

if i can connect it using S-video on my Dell 2047, how would i do the sound?

Suspended
You want a soundcard with optical out on the backplate, not front panel I/O. It's stupid having a permenent lead to front of the case (could get damaged)

As for low level during DVD's- that's normal.

Games won't be encoded to multi-channel, you'll need to the use the analogue outputs. Or have that X-Merdian, but I wonder if EAX/gaming support is like the CL (I doubt it)

If you're using optical output I wouldn't bother with a expensive soundcard.

Associate
Soldato
not sure which mine is, it's probably the oldest of the fatal1ty ones available cos I got it when there was only 3 or 4 options of X-Fi.

I don't know how good the optical is or anything because I've got no optical cables except the one which came with my MDplayer years ago but that's the wrong type at 1 end.

I connect my ps2 by plugging the red an white component plugs into the front of my PC for bigger sound, it's not proper surround though.

Associate
I've checked the Champion Edition and there's no real difference to the other X-Fi cards except the X-Ram which to be totally honest is useless nothing uses it.

My advice would either to get XtremeGamer/Music both the same sound cards.

Permabanned
OP
well i wouldnt mind paying the extra for the Fatal1ty as it comes with the added panel. and remote.

but i do have a game that uses the 64mb,
i believe medieval 2 total war does. maybe couple of others.

but its nice to have it incase any new games use it, so maybe its best i go for that one.

i sent a email to overclockers asking them whats the difference on the new champion one...

oh and does the front pannel fit into the foppy place?
or the dvd slot.... makes a difference aswell as both floppy's are full and i have 2 free dvd drive spaces.

and one more thing, what is the name of where you can place a 3.5inch floppy drive into the dvd drive bay? i heard its like a adaptor or sumthing, anyone got a name or place where i can buy one?

Last edited:
Associate
I know the X-Fi's have optical, but none of the cards features such as EAX, upmixing etc are functional over optical due to the cards lack of DDL/DTS Connect encoding.

That is why I said not to get the X-Fi if you plan to use optical.

Associate
::: CooliceT :: said:
well i wouldnt mind paying the extra for the Fatal1ty as it comes with the added panel. and remote.

but i do have a game that uses the 64mb,
i believe medieval 2 total war does. maybe couple of others.

but its nice to have it incase any new games use it, so maybe its best i go for that one.

i sent a email to overclockers asking them whats the difference on the new champion one...

oh and does the front pannel fit into the foppy place?
or the dvd slot.... makes a difference aswell as both floppy's are full and i have 2 free dvd drive spaces.

and one more thing, what is the name of where you can place a 3.5inch floppy drive into the dvd drive bay? i heard its like a adaptor or sumthing, anyone got a name or place where i can buy one?

No the front panel does not fit in the 3.5 only the 5.25.

Permabanned
OP
well im not sure as if the ps2 connects via the red/whtie anyway, like i use to have it on my old amp, i just use that.

plus i wont really use the ps2 that much on it anyway,
its mostly for my pc.

i just ordered the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS Edition 7.1 Soundcard - Retail

should be coming tomorrow.
hope all is well, i just been reading the creative forums with problems...

well thats good then as i have to spare 5.25 slots ;)
bought a universal adapter aswell as i have a card reader that needs to go in,
so i can put that in my 5.25 aswell

Permabanned
OP
well...

i got my card, finally. i paid for next day delievery to get it yestaday, but the driver was new and didnt find it. so he phoned today and finally got it.

all i can say... is wow....
such a change from my other card, i just put in matrix revolutions and compared to my old one, the sounds it picks up.

the clarity, and right pitch in the way the sounds maximise my speakers is superb. worth the money i feel.

and the extra front panel does look nice in my system,
going to test a few games now :)

Back
Top Bottom