Sigma 10-20mm EX DC HSM

Soldato
Does anyone have any experience with this lens? Whats the build quality like, and image quality? Im also guessing due to it being only 10mm, its pretty good in low light conditions even though its not f/1.8 like a 50mm prime?

I almost certain it will, but thought i would ask anyway, this camera will AF with the D40 because its HSM right?

Also, what does the DC stand for?

Thank you tar

Associate
It is a good lens, but Sigma's quality control can sometimes be a bit iffy. Expect some softness at the edges but that's to be expected on such a wide angle. UK Sigma lenses come with a 3 year warranty as well, which is nice ;)

Associate
I had one of these delivered this morning. I believe the DC is to do with the fact that this lens is designed for cropped sensor camera. Initial thoughts are that the build quality is fantastic. Havent taken many pics, so I will get back to you on quality etc.

Soldato
OP
I can't see anything with similar specs for around the price of the sigma, most others with the same focal range are double the price, so thats why i am going for the sigma, also i have read some excellent reviews on it.

When you say all UK sigma lenses come with a 3 year warrenty, does this differ from the "Sigma International Warrenty"?

Soldato
OP
n30_mkii said:
I had one of these delivered this morning. I believe the DC is to do with the fact that this lens is designed for cropped sensor camera. Initial thoughts are that the build quality is fantastic. Havent taken many pics, so I will get back to you on quality etc.

Could i be cheeky and ask how much you paid? :) And also did you buy in the UK or HK?

I am thinking of purchasing this lens from HK for £270 delivered.

Associate
I am thinking of purchasing this lens from HK for £270 delivered

I wouldn't bother. I would spend slightly more and get a UK version. SIgma UK will not honour warranties of lenses purchased outside UK. IIRC UK versions of this lens can be had for around £280

Associate
alexisonfire said:
Does anyone have any experience with this lens? Whats the build quality like, and image quality?
Generally pretty good :)
check out this review:
http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/nikkor-12-24mm/index.html
(I dont think the link breaks any rules - if so please remove)

alexisonfire said:
Im also guessing due to it being only 10mm, its pretty good in low light conditions even though its not f/1.8 like a 50mm prime?
The 10mm has no bearing on it, but at 10mm the lens is F4 - which means it's not bad at low light stuff,

alexisonfire said:
I almost certain it will, but thought i would ask anyway, this camera will AF with the D40 because its HSM right?
Also, what does the DC stand for?
HSM - Hyper Sonic Motor, so afaik it'll work fine
DC - Means the lens is designed for the smaller sensors in digital SLR cameras - such as your D40

alexisonfire said:
Thank you tar
no problem, bZip

Puz

Puz

Associate
I've had one of these for about 3 months now and love it :)
Good build quality. Works well in reasonable lowlight and very sharp at each extreme. Not so much in the middle. I got mine for about £270.

Associate
Got one too, love it. Great lens for landscape work. Although as you can guess perhaps not the best at 10mm for Artitechural work unless you wanna correct it in photoshop.

example at 10mm

ocukjan06.jpg

Associate
is there much difference in terms of quality, between this and the canon 10-22. Seems most people on here favour getting the sigma over the canon, is the canon not worth the extra £100?

Soldato
OP
I worked out that the sigma 10-20mm is almost 26% wider than my current lens :p

Im gonna have lots of fun with this...

If only i could find it for £270 :confused: Cheapest i can find in the UK is £300+

Can someone lead me in the right direction...maybe with a Google search without mentioning a competitors name :p I doubt the dons would mind as long as no competitor names are said, as ocuk don't stock sigma.

Thanks

Associate
alexisonfire said:
I worked out that the sigma 10-20mm is almost 26% wider than my current lens :p

Im gonna have lots of fun with this...

If only i could find it for £270 :confused: Cheapest i can find in the UK is £300+

Can someone lead me in the right direction...maybe with a Google search without mentioning a competitors name :p I doubt the dons would mind as long as no competitor names are said, as ocuk don't stock sigma.

Thanks
I can find it for £287 online, could PM you the link if you like.
Edit: Plus another site will match the prices then refund 125% of the business

Last edited:
Soldato
I went and splashed out on one of these on sunday, have been loving it so far - I really like how close it focuses, I can get right up to the subject and it looks like I'm miles from it.
In this picture, I am about 20cm from the dog's eye :)
The wide angle makes her look all stretchy. I wont get a great chance to test it outside till the weekend I reckon, but first impressions have been excellent :D
main.php

main.php

Last edited:
Soldato
Are you able to post links to shops selling this lens? Not sure if its classed as a competitor as AFAIK OcUK doesn't sell this lens...

Can't find it online cheap, with a uk warranty - only international ones...

Back
Top Bottom