Best Operating system?

Soldato
XP's got the edge in performance and compatibility when it comes to DX9 games (or older!). Vista for DX10 games if you can find working drivers from Nvidia.. Not to mention there are few (if any?) DX10 games so far.

Associate
OP
i have

Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail

Asus P5N32-E SLi nForce 680

GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit

BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB

should all be well for vista?

Soldato
Ganjaholic said:
i have

Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail

Asus P5N32-E SLi nForce 680

GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit

BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB

should all be well for vista?

vista would run but your graphic card is Nvidia, the Nvidia drivers for vista isn't good for playing games yet.. if it was ati you'll have no problems playing games

Soldato
tbh m8
windows XP pro is going to have better computability with your software and hardware.

never, EVER expect any windows OS pre SP1 to work at all.

Associate
howiepoohs said:
Sinclair basic. I dont recall any crashes or BSOD. :D

So you didnt have it die 15 mins into a game load and have to rewind the tape and sit through the squealing again ;) Eeeeh, them were the days.

Last edited:
Caporegime
what are these supposed issues with nvidia drivers? i've not found a game that doesn't work on vista, or while using a 8800 and nvidia's latest drivers. the only issue i have had with vista, ok two issues. first is vista's fault though, signed drivers, games want to stick on their on drivers for sound and other stuff, but vista 64bit can be an utter pain in the ass trying to install unsigned drivers. i've tried to disable it via commandline with a few different options i've found but still things don't work while other signed drivers go through fine.

also nod32 does cause a bunch of problems on vista 64bit at least, maybe 32bit but i don't know. its killing 32bit connections and Eset don't even know how, and its causing some performance issues aswell.

anyway, like i said, i haven't not found a way to get any game working with the right dx9 version installed. heck, i played through starcraft the other day, doesn't get much older than that.

Soldato
To be honest I would never touch a "home" varient of anything pre Vista, ME and XP home were awful in my opinion - I could never get them to work reliably

Vista Home Premium 64 seems to work ok however - but I have only had it one week :D

Soldato
Wierd, as XP home is almost exactly the same as XP pro. With a few carefull edits, its possible to convert an XP Home CD into XP pro. Its about 10 files that change, mostly config/licensing.

XP Home is an excellent stable OS.

ME was awefull, give you that, but there was no 'Home' ME release anyway.

Soldato
Corasik said:
Wierd, as XP home is almost exactly the same as XP pro. With a few carefull edits, its possible to convert an XP Home CD into XP pro. Its about 10 files that change, mostly config/licensing.

XP Home is an excellent stable OS.

ME was awefull, give you that, but there was no 'Home' ME release anyway.
I'll vouch for XP Home. Excellent OS.

Associate
FrankJH said:
To be honest I would never touch a "home" varient of anything pre Vista, ME and XP home were awful in my opinion - I could never get them to work reliably

Vista Home Premium 64 seems to work ok however - but I have only had it one week :D

WinXP Home was just cut down really, near enough the same as Pro, I didnt like Home though as I like to use my PC for testing purposes, adding them to domains and playing around with group policys etc

it is more of a bugger to fix a problem with it I found, I remember when someone on this forum said he had a "the screensaver tab" is not appearing in display props or something along them lines. In XP Pro I would have just fired up gpedit.msc to fix the problem, on XP Home, it doesnt have this, and I tried talking to him on how to change it through the registry, which was in a diffirent place! (got it working by TweakGUI in the end I think)

I was umming and arring whenever to get Vista Home Prem because of the same problems above, got in it the end, and it was a very wise choice, it has got potentioal to be a great OS in six months

Back
Top Bottom