Armed Assault 1.05 out now.

Soldato
Edleake said:
No the way it feels, BF2 is an easy pick up and point shooter, it doesn't simulate the weapons or vehicles realistically.

ArmA after some practise and getting used to is actually really great because it's so vast it portrays the theatre of war very well, it's rather engrossing after you've gotten use to it even if it lacks a little polish around the edges. ;)

Thanks. I just tried the demo and it is hard to get the hang of. Ill keep trying. Its very different to BF2! How do you get into vehicles?

Sel

Sel

Associate
I'm sorry but noway is aAsualt a sim it's just less arcade than BF2.

AA doesn't simulate the weapons or vehicles realistically either, walk right upto someone and shoot them in the head, the bullet hit's their chest.
You carn't even jump, smoke or foliage want hide you from the AI either.
What is all that tracer stuff about, the last thing you want to do is give away your positon by using tracer.

I do like Armed Assualt but it isn't a sim.

Sel

Sel

Associate
Dean3d said:
Is anybody on the mission where you have to kill the SLA officer in the hotel? I can't seem to get near it without being spotted and turned into swiss cheese by the machine gunners on the roof! :mad: doing my nut in atm

Cheers

I did it quite easily, I just hide around where there are a few rocks. Shoot him with one shot and run like hell.

Try crawling more they don't see you as easily, you can just put it on 4x speed if you want to speed it up.

Caporegime
Sel said:
I'm sorry but noway is aAsualt a sim it's just less arcade than BF2.

AA doesn't simulate the weapons or vehicles realistically either, walk right upto someone and shoot them in the head, the bullet hit's their chest.
You carn't even jump, smoke or foliage want hide you from the AI either.
What is all that tracer stuff about, the last thing you want to do is give away your positon by using tracer.

er, yes it is a sim. Very much so. All of the weapons behave like they do in reality. Bugs need fixing, like the AI and tbh.. that was done in the 1.05 patch.. I've no problems with AI and "supervision" anymore.

LockOn is classed as a sim, but I don't actually get into a cockpit and actually takeoff, so nfw is that a sim.

Associate
This is an ofp answer but - Are you using the iron sight when you stand close and aim for the chest? The bullets come from the gun not from the cross in the middle of the screen. That isn't really anywhere near accurate till far away.

I never actually found a moment in ofp that jumping would have been useful. I would have liked the diversion of course when I was running half way across the island...

Soldato
Actually a bug was introduced, meaning that when you fire into someones face you hit their chest. Aiming at the skid-lid works though.

I agree with the jumping, it's pointless. Would never be used.

Associate
Maybe not jumping, but a 'climb' command could and should be added, so you can get over low walls etc...it's very unrealistic to get stuck behind a small wall, that anyone could just hop over.

I'm hoping this may get added to to 1.06.

I'm loving this game more than any other in recent PC history...even if I do feel like a passenger a times...as in 'WTF is going on, oh you've killed them all - thankyou' sort of way...I would make a crap soldier!.......

edit...there's some great user mods coming out now as well and it's amazing how much exrta content you can have by downloading a small (less than 200kb) file.

Brilliant :D .

Last edited:
Permabanned
Are the sounds in AA as "weak" as the ones in OFP? I still can't get that horrible glass smashing explosion sound out of my head whenever a vehicle exploded in OFP, and some of the weapon sounds were so bad they even made an official replacement for the AK47/74 for the expansion.

Soldato
Edleake said:
Jumping shouldn't be allowed in this type of game anywhere, BF2 is full of kangarooing idiots and it looks ridiculous!

I hear that! Just been on a server, must have been an aussie server there were that many kangaroos!

Soldato
redline said:
Do you have a link?..

FDF Sound Pack - 50mb - http://www.armed-assault-zone.com/downloads/details.php?file=205

*these sounds are much heavier then standard and make the TOW and explosions sound impressive! :)

http://www.armed-assault-zone.com/news.php - some cool stuff including UK troops!

On another note I've just done the mission where you intercept and attack in the night riding/gunning in a humvee with a TOW! I love sending orders for both Humvees to fly off to the next waypoint and the TOW launchers going off at enemy, the nigh vision makes it all look like real footage at this point and the sound pack adds to that realism (with the graphics on high), utterly brilliant fun... it reminds me of the night video footage from the gulf war etc. :cool:

When I first played ArmA I didn't think I'd like it but its definately a grower, just give it time! :)

Associate
Edleake said:
FDF Sound Pack - 50mb - http://www.armed-assault-zone.com/downloads/details.php?file=205

*these sounds are much heavier then standard and make the TOW and explosions sound impressive! :)

http://www.armed-assault-zone.com/news.php - some cool stuff including UK troops!

On another note I've just done the mission where you intercept and attack in the night riding/gunning in a humvee with a TOW! I love sending orders for both Humvees to fly off to the next waypoint and the TOW launchers going off at enemy, the nigh vision makes it all look like real footage at this point and the sound pack adds to that realism (with the graphics on high), utterly brilliant fun... it reminds me of the night video footage from the gulf war etc. :cool:

When I first played ArmA I didn't think I'd like it but its definately a grower, just give it time! :)

Great - thankyou I will give them a try...AND that's the same mission that I'm on and I need to get to grips with issuing commands...it ended up a total mess for me :( ...

Last edited:
Associate
Sel said:

Hmmm, guess I must be imagining things when I load my rifle with tracer rounds then? Silly me.

Associate
Anyone that liked Flashpoint will like this.
For me the sheer scale of everything pees allover BF2. BF2 is a good game this is different, you plan more once you get your squad. After another patch or so I think it's going to be a really top game.
The thing I think about it is that its fiendishly hard but somehow I keep playing it. There also seems to be a million ways to do the same mission which is always a good thing ;)

Soldato
Eddie182 said:
Hmmm, guess I must be imagining things when I load my rifle with tracer rounds then? Silly me.
In the real world, tracer (depanding on the type of round) doesnt ignite for 200-300m and burns out normally at 800-1000m.

Back
Top Bottom