Another "Newbie" needs help finding DSLR cam.

Soldato
I've seen two so far that im interested in.

The Canon 400D with a basic lens, for £469.

Or the Olympus E-400 with a basic lens and a telephoto zoom lens for £550

Any ideas? Cheers :p :)

Soldato
Personally the Canon because I am a Canon man myself and I also have a 400d. I haven't ever used an Olympus so I'm not too sure about that, but it's usually down to personal choice. Going into a local high street camera shop and having a feel of them both will help you decide. a lot of people don't like the 400d because of it's small size. but personally it doesn't bother me, and if it does you can always put a battery grip on it.

also the fact that Canon seems to be more popular you may be able to buy better lenses and equipment for it. If you bought the 400d over the Olympus you would have about £100 left over so you could get yourself a good memory card and a Canon 50mm f1.8 lens which is a good walk about lens. Hope this helps.

Associate
Just wanted to ask Justin - or anyone else who reads this in general, why Canon?

I've been interested in photography for years, but have recently got more serious about it. I've heard a lot of the Canon vs Nikon argument, but mostly people just try to avoid it.

I just wanted to know, what are the pro's and con's in general between the brands, or is it just down to specific models have slighly better specs for less etc...

Soldato
Alu_ATC said:
Just wanted to ask Justin - or anyone else who reads this in general, why Canon?

I've been interested in photography for years, but have recently got more serious about it. I've heard a lot of the Canon vs Nikon argument, but mostly people just try to avoid it.

I just wanted to know, what are the pro's and con's in general between the brands, or is it just down to specific models have slighly better specs for less etc...

Not really sure about the pros and cons, but I have a Canon as I've only ever used a Canon P&S camera, so it's probably down to personal preference.

Man of Honour
Alu_ATC said:
It's mainly personal preference. I went with Canon because Nikon didn't have a competitively priced (at 2002 prices as well!) DSLR when I wanted to buy and having had a Canon compact previously I didn't have any qualms buying the D60. I knew that any investment I made in lenses, flashguns etc wasn't going to be wasted if I wanted to replace the original body.

Soldato
I also went for the 400d over the Nikon models because of the value for money and the integrated dust cleaning.

Soldato
Just don't forget that although Canikon dominate that they aren't the only ones capable of making decent kit.
Olympus, Pentax & Sony (was Minolta) all make perfectly good bodies & glass.
The photographer will almost certainly make more difference than the camera.

Soldato
OP
thanks for the replies guys. apparently the e-400 is on par with the canon 400D. i guess its down to the user, a good workman never blames his tools. anyhoo. picking up the cam on weds :D the olympus that is :)

Back
Top Bottom