OBLIVION - MooSe's Essential Links/mods & Tips

Soldato
Buddahs List O' Links

Used to be a proper site but now its just a downloadable excel document with the mod and its respective link. Still extremely useful though if youre looking for a certain type of mod.

I would recommend an archery mod here, but I cant remember where I found it. It basically raised the damage caused by various bows and arrows to make archery combat less drawn out and more fun. You didnt have to unload about 7000 arrows into a target to kill it :p.

If anyone finds it, let me know :)

Associate
OP
some screenies demonstrating "Natural Enviroments" mod.

summer01qi0.jpg

spring01t33rt7.jpg

autumn01rx5.jpg

winter01uc3.jpg

winterdusknr2.jpg

Associate
OP
m0r94n said:
Buddahs List O' Links

Used to be a proper site but now its just a downloadable excel document with the mod and its respective link. Still extremely useful though if youre looking for a certain type of mod.

I would recommend an archery mod here, but I cant remember where I found it. It basically raised the damage caused by various bows and arrows to make archery combat less drawn out and more fun. You didnt have to unload about 7000 arrows into a target to kill it :p.

If anyone finds it, let me know :)

Erics quad damage for Archers does that. you get a choice of double/triple or quadruple bow damage multipliers over vanilla bows.
it's good for early level characters but as your marksmen skill increases and you find stronger bows you need to downgrade from say triple to double damage.
one shot kills in the arena (though nice :D) convinced me it was time to downgrade!
now i use "Realistic arrow flight" which does'nt increase damage, just velocity.
(Erics quad damage does that as well).
the link for this mod is in the main post. although note it conflicts with Mart's Monster Mod. *edit* the latest MMM patch fixes this issue.

Last edited:
Soldato
MooSey-UK said:
Erics quad damage for Archers does that. you get a choice of double/triple or quadruple bow damage multipliers over vanilla bows.
it's good for early level characters but as your marksmen skill increases and you find stronger bows you need to downgrade from say triple to double damage.
one shot kills in the arena (though nice :D) convinced me it was time to downgrade!
now i use "Realistic arrow flight" which does'nt increase damage, just velocity.
(Erics quad damage does that as well).
the link for this mod is in the main post. although note it conflicts with Mart's Monster Mod.

Cheers, cant believe I didnt see it when I browsed through!

Soldato
MooSey are any of your mods in your loading list OMM omods?

As I spent a fair amount of time converting all my mods to omods. That way you can activate & de-activate them in OMM if you get any conflicts. You don't have to remove them from your Data folder. It will also notify you of any conflicts. The only mod I couldn't convert to an omod was OOO. Kept getting yellow exclamation marks instead of characters in game. Also have not had time to convert the KOTN expansion mods.

If I can find the link to the OMM omod creation guide that I used then I'll post it here for you to add to your links. As I found it really useful & it's worth spending a bit of time creating omods. As it makes it so much easier to enable & disable mods. A Godsend when you use multiple mods.

Associate
OP
no they're just standard .esp or .esm plugins.
with OMM i can enable or disable them with the little tick box next to the mod.
i don't use any OMods as i found them harder to play with.
i think the exclamation marks in game means missing textures.

Soldato
MooSey-UK said:
no they're just standard .esp or .esm plugins.
with OMM i can enable or disable them with the little tick box next to the mod.
i don't use any OMods as i found them harder to play with.
i think the exclamation marks in game means missing textures.

It's worth creating omods for any mods that have any dds texture files or any additional sound files etc. As when you enable the mods it will tell you if they conflict with any other files & don't just overwrite other important textures etc.

eg I've just created an omod of the Mannequins mod you have posted. As there are dds texture files in addition to the esp file. Saves me having to put the textures into the data folder separately.
So if I decide to disable the omod it will automatically remove all the texture files from the oblivion data folder. Saves cluttering it up with files you don't use anymore.

Yeah missing textures=exclamation marks. There is a limitation I think with OMM that it won't extract textures from nif files when creating omods. I believe OOO & also the KOTN expansions have quite a few of these files. So I've had to resort to installing those manually.

Top thread btw ;)

Associate
OP
i know what you mean about data folder clutter!
tbh im not bothered about the conflict issue. if i run the OMM conflict detector i always get a few red conflictors. yet in game i never detect them. whether they are there or not as small glitches i don't know.
Open cities is the worst offender for me, but i do like it so i keep enabling it.
my question would be do Omods load faster or create easier access for ingame loading?
you know the 'ole load cell stutter? do you think Omods can reduce this?
how do you convert .esp's into Omods btw?
i have a software threshold and Omod conversion is bordering on it :eek:
oh, i don't normally extract and place manually. i extract into a holding folder on my data storage disc. read the readme and then extract straight into oblivion data. if its a messy mod with lots of bitty files i'll do it manually.
i keep it fairly clean by keeping save games backed up and reinstalling the whole shooting match periodically.
oblivion is a drama to maintain but worth it imo :)
thx for the complement btw :D

P.s. i've just re-read your reply (was being nagged to get to dinner table before :( ) and im not sure what you're getting at with disabling mods and removing them from data file.
i just untick the box next to it and thats it. de-activated.
what version of OMM are you using?
here's a screeny of what mine looks like......

hang on wait 5. imageshack is too busy.

Last edited:
Soldato
If there are any texture or other additional files that are installed in the data folder, unticking a mod in OMM does not remove the additional files from the data folder. So they are still hanging around with the potential to interfere with files associated with other active mods. Creating an omod lets you properly activate & de-activate any associated files. ie; when activated it puts the associated files into the data folder (but not before warning you if there are any potential conflicts), then when de-activated, the associated files are then removed again from the data folder.
If you have a mod that has just an esp or esm file & no extra data files, then you can just add the file when creating an omod. However it's not as important to create omods from lone esp or esm files. As no extra data files need to be installed for them to be activated. As you can just untick them from the list & no detritus is left behind. But with more complicated mods that use extra data files it is worthwhile creating omods.

I hope that makes sense. It took me a while to get my head around OMM, but the guide on the web by the author of OMM was very useful. Once you get your head around it, creating omods is quite straightforward.

The only problem being my version of OMM not being able to unpack .nif files.
I can't remember which version of OMM I'm using as I'm not at home. I wonder if there is a later version that can maybe unpack these nif. files.

*edit*

Just remotely logged into my PC & the version of OMM I'm using is: V0.8.18
It even says that it is too old to be able to auto-update. A visit to Timeslip's website is in order I think. LOL!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
yeah got you. i tend to remove mods that use different textures quite quickly.
on your info though that might be why im getting "open cities" bugs.
i might have a read up of OMM as i just use it for .esp/esm files.
cheers :)

Associate
I'm desperate to get back into this game but i lost my saves and I am finding the start with the prospect of doing all those stupid gates again a big dread. I got the official mod packs non of which i have tried before. Does the nights of the nine require you to be a certain level and does the OOO thing make the game slow to level?

Associate
OP
you can start KotN at any level. you just need the official patch (UK version) and you're away.
there's no journal entry or anything though. just kept your ears peeled eavesdroping npc's and head to Anvil.....
I believe OOO levels 4 x slower than vanilla.
if you think thats slow you can always load the OOO lite which has levelling speed options.
read the OOO read me of which there is a link in the main topic :)

Associate
Cool thanks, well i started an elven archer and im making a point not to fast travel anywhere. I dont want to touch the main quest yet as those oblivion gates annoy me.... is the armour from KotN heavy? i always seem to miss out on the cool stuff.

Soldato
Furbs said:
is the armour from KotN heavy?

It depends on your skills at that part of the quest, if light armor > heavy armor then the crusader armour will be light and vice versa :).

I'm messing around with a few content mods at the moment but nothing fantastic, just marking time until Shivering Isles is out.

Associate
AndrewP said:
It depends on your skills at that part of the quest, if light armor > heavy armor then the crusader armour will be light and vice versa :).

I'm messing around with a few content mods at the moment but nothing fantastic, just marking time until Shivering Isles is out.

Ah cool, going to hot foot it over to anvil which will take me awhile looting all the dungeons on root and start the quest :)

Back
Top Bottom