Polishing up .css for ALL browsers…

Soldato
Hey guys,

I’m trying to knock up my portfolio site atm and seeing as though I’ve been doing nearly all my designing in Firefox, I’ve now gone and viewed my near finished template in Opera and Internet Explorer 6/7 and the layout is all over the place :eek:

http://www.wightgame.co.uk/example/

And: http://wightgame.co.uk/example/mycss.css

Before I start fiddling, can someone tell me what (Hopefully) simple adjustments need to be made so it will be viewable in the various browsers?

Cheers,

SW.

Last edited:
Associate
Personally I wouldnt have the main content scrolling like that it feels a little weird, could just be me though I don't know what others think. I would have the whole page scroll.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys :)

I kind of need the menus/side bars etc to remain static for what I want to do later...

So, it’s back to the drawing board then :(

I just don't get how it varies that much from browser to browser?

SW.

Soldato
Im having the same problem, managed to get it working in IE7, FF, Opera, but stick it in IE6, and it breaks up and loses some CSS formating :(

Associate
For IE, re-examine all your padding and widths. IE looks at those in a different way than the other browsers, and even if your slightly overlaping by one or 2 pixels, the whole div will be cleared so that it doesnt overlap.

I agree in redoing the css and checking in all browsers as your doing it, its much easier to find problems then and fix them than to try and edit this now.

Soldato
sam.wheale said:
Thanks guys :)

I kind of need the menus/side bars etc to remain static for what I want to do later...

So, it’s back to the drawing board then :(

I just don't get how it varies that much from browser to browser?

SW.

Firefox and Opera are usually very good at handling CSS as they are very standards complient. However they do sometimes display some odd behaviour [I myself am experiencing a FF-related headache!].

Internet Explorer is whole different kettle of fish. IE is a bloated, disgusting, mutant swamp beast that takes in innocent CSS into its halitosis-riddled maw and regurgitates something that can only be from the arse of satan himself.

Soldato
OP
SiriusB said:
Internet Explorer is whole different kettle of fish. IE is a bloated, disgusting, mutant swamp beast that takes in innocent CSS into its halitosis-riddled maw and regurgitates something that can only be from the arse of satan himself.
Wow :eek:

That's a v.impressive rant for this time of night!

All true of course :p

I've even resorted to downloading IE7 - which has just completed. I actually used to get on quite well with IE6?

Anyway, I've been re-designing my template from scratch and testing it as I go. It does seem like a practical way of doing things.*

It does annoy me though, because it should all just work!

**That's my 'mini' rant over :D

SW.

Soldato
I think it is just an over-spill from the days when everyone styled their pages within the HTML. A lot of browsers invented their own HTML in order to add more features.

Along comes CSS which says its bad. Most browsers go "oh ok" and get on with being standards complient. MS on the other hand are fat and long in the tooth and carry on doing things their own way and to hell with the rest of the planet.

Heh, despite my, and I quote, "impressive rant", I am not an MS-hater as such. I just think they should stop being so bloody awkward. The only reason they get away with it is because 70% or more people use IE.

Associate
SiriusB said:
I think it is just an over-spill from the days when everyone styled their pages within the HTML. A lot of browsers invented their own HTML in order to add more features.

Along comes CSS which says its bad. Most browsers go "oh ok" and get on with being standards complient. MS on the other hand are fat and long in the tooth and carry on doing things their own way and to hell with the rest of the planet.

Heh, despite my, and I quote, "impressive rant", I am not an MS-hater as such. I just think they should stop being so bloody awkward. The only reason they get away with it is because 70% or more people use IE.

Here here! It would make my life 10 times easier if IE would support css the same as other browsers such as firefox!

Associate
really like the layout idea , ive tried something similar but never seem to have time to finish it off(sure ive posted that exact same line before :rolleyes: lazy git that i am)

my only minor gripe with it is what happens when the browser is resized, the content still scrolls but what about the nav/menu ? 800x600(worse case scenario i know ) you lose the second menu completely and the bottom of the first menu

i ended up going for something closer to this
http://www.cssplay.co.uk/layouts/basics2.html
with menu down the right hand side

just seems like a better way of doing things, you may lose the fixed menu but you always have the option to view the whole menu regardless of window size

Back
Top Bottom