Diet Ideas

Soldato
I still do not feel I am eating enough. I am currently "skint" aka poor student & I need some ideas for what I can eat breakfast, dinner & tea and then snacks in between. Although in the long run, I intend to get whey shake powder or an equivalent shake.

Breakfast = Crunchy Nut 1 x bowl

I'm at college most days, so usually I will go up to Tesco at lunch and have a BLT or salad sandwich.

Tea = Usually packed with greens & meat (can be chicken,steak or fish).

I'm trying to make sure I get enough protein etc and really want to bulk to atleast 12'5st, atm i'm 11'8.

I usually have tinned tuna & rice after workout but I realised this is hardly rammed with protein.

Please Help

Associate
A2Z said:
Personally i dont see being a 'skint' student as a valid excuses. Surely you get some money to live by, which should primarily be used for food, whatever else is left can then be used for other things, the way i do it anyway, food comes first.

This article should help you though

http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/m_915134/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#915134

Not all students get money to live by! I get minimum loan and have to work to pay for my living costs, this week im living on £5, and considering a packet of chicken costs that much i'm screwed!

to keep costs down i have lots of porridge (just big bag of cheap oats, mixed seeds, nuts etc) and then i buy bulk unflavoured whey. A general rule i have is that if there is a really good deal on chicken i'll buy like a months worth and freeze it to save costs in the long run.

Pasta is also a cheap source of carbs, with a couple of chicken breasts and some sauce. Peanut butter on whoemeal toast with a protein shake is also a high calorie low cost meal.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
gurusan said:
I would avoid eating tuna regularly as it contains a fair amount of mercury.
and a fair amount is how much?

is a 'fair' amount too much?

what would be an 'unfair' amount?

i eat on average 2 tins of tuna a day, and on the reading ive done on tuna and mercury, theres nothing there to make me change how much i eat

Soldato
A2Z said:
and a fair amount is how much?

is a 'fair' amount too much?

what would be an 'unfair' amount?

i eat on average 2 tins of tuna a day, and on the reading ive done on tuna and mercury, theres nothing there to make me change how much i eat

I would consider 2 cans of tuna a day to be an unsafe amount.

In fact, if you are roughly 150 lb, eating just 6 oz of canned albacore per week will put you at 120% of the EPA limit.

In comparison, 6 oz of salmon per week will put your mercury exposure at less than 10% of the EPA limit.

Also salmon isn't that expensive, it's much more than tuna but I get it from waitrose for 69p/can which is hardly breaking the bank for a meal. Each can contains about 25g of protein and a lot of omega 3's.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom