Motorstorm - Put my mind at rest!

Associate
Evening All,

I've been playing Motorstorm quite intensively since Friday, but the past couple of days I've been really quite distracted by the shadows...

I'm convinced it wasn't doing it over the weekend, but the scenery shadows appear 'flickery', as though they ought to be soft edged, but can't. This is most obvious on races when the sun is low in the sky, but pretty pronounced (and distracting) throughout. Resistance doesn't seem to have any problems, though it did freeze once in 2 co-op yesterday...

Soooo.... anyone else suffering this, or is it RMA time?

Soldato
Apopcalyptic said:
Evening All,

I've been playing Motorstorm quite intensively since Friday, but the past couple of days I've been really quite distracted by the shadows...

I'm convinced it wasn't doing it over the weekend, but the scenery shadows appear 'flickery', as though they ought to be soft edged, but can't. This is most obvious on races when the sun is low in the sky, but pretty pronounced (and distracting) throughout. Resistance doesn't seem to have any problems, though it did freeze once in 2 co-op yesterday...

Soooo.... anyone else suffering this, or is it RMA time?

Ive noticed some flickering on my motorstorm too matey.

Suspended
Apopcalyptic said:
If you get the chance, would you mind pausing and right stick rotating on a brightly lit race? Thx

Just done what you said and and i still cant notice it the shadows look fine to me, I would post pic but i only have a cam phone so it wont do it justice.

I am runing it via HDMI duno if that would make a diffrence or not

Soldato
I have jagged shadows when im at the start line but cant say i notice them other times, probably cos im not looking for them.

Josh

Associate
Jaggies on shadows are fairly common on 360/PC/PS3 usually down to being low res or the shadow is being cast on an awkward shape poly model(they can look stripey).

Man of Honour
Buzza said:
Jaggies on shadows are fairly common on 360/PC/PS3 usually down to being low res or the shadow is being cast on an awkward shape poly model(they can look stripey).
Real time shadows at high res take up a lot of processing power.

Soldato
Apopcalyptic said:
I'm running via HDMI too... Hmm, I've experimented a bit, it's a *lot* more noticeable on certain tickets. I think it's down to the lighting rather than the hardware now though..... Thanks though :D

What res are you outputting the PS3 to your TV?
As it sounds like it could be an interlacing anomaly.
If it's 1080i try changing to 720p to see if it makes a difference.
Or if you have a 1080p TV then try 1080p if you are not already running at that.
If you are running at 1080p then there could be an issue with the scaling of the TV.

Soldato
YooEntSinMeROYT said:
What res are you outputting the PS3 to your TV?
As it sounds like it could be an interlacing anomaly.
If it's 1080i try changing to 720p to see if it makes a difference.
Or if you have a 1080p TV then try 1080p if you are not already running at that.
If you are running at 1080p then there could be an issue with the scaling of the TV.

It dosent upscale so it outputs at 720p, i dont think on any tv you can force 1080p mode (you cant on mine anyway, I know that).

I noticed it when i crashed into a big rock , there was a bit of flickering and some screen collision.

Soldato
I've seen this as well. It's very noticeable when you are at the starting line and you get the countdown.

For these few seconds you normally will see a shadow from something, it could be the scaffolding at the sides.

I see the shadow and it looks like it's kind of wobbling.....

But I reckon it is supposed to be a combination of the shadows... but then the heat haze caused by the heat rising from the sand/mud/ground ?

Kinda like what you get driving on a road on a hot day, come to a hill and things look a little fuzzy on the road.

Back
Top Bottom