What;s sheffield like

Soldato
My missus is thinking of going back to uni to become a dental hygienist. One of the places where she can get onto the course is sheffield. As i'm now mobile ie I'm looking at going into contracting were thinking about moving that way.

So is it a hell hole or a rather nice place?

Live in cambridgeshire at the moment.

Soldato
pinkaardvark said:
So is it a hell hole or a rather nice place?

I've seen it once and gained an opinion very quickly. It is both an industrialised and residential area which is highly developed.

I'd expect that it was a run-down place at some point and that the government have been steadily putting money into it in order to modernise it. All it's good points (and there are many) are modern.

Soldato
I've got uni offers from Newcastle and Sheff.

A few mates say Sheffield is really good, but I preferred Newcastle from the visits and it seems like there's more to do there too.

Soldato
Sheffield is different in different areas. the west of the City (where the uni and dental depts are) is a lovely well wooded greenish area full of parks and nice bars. The east of the City center is a hell hole where I wouldn't want to live tbh.

I'd move back to Sheffield in a second if I had the opportunity and I lived there for 7 years in the 90s.

Paul

Caporegime
Ok, less the silly blanket statements..

Having lived in Cambridge and visited a couple of friends at university in Sheffielf on numerous occasions, and having lived in Manchester for so long, I much prefer the south. Its nicer, warmer, and if you're not lazy, there's tons to do in Cambridge, though I assume there's something to do if you are lazy. Plenty of good pubs.

Soldato
OP
Sounds not bad then, sure everywhere has bad bits but it does sound like there's a lot of regeneration going on which is good. I'm not from Cambridge so won't miss it, i'm actually from Glasgow mainly but was born a lot further north. It would certainly be good to live somewhere where I could routinely see a hill. (I used to live where my bedroom window faced the campsie hills and miss the sight of a hill with snow on)

Permabanned
platypus said:
Compared to Cambridgeshire? Its a ****hole.

who are you trying to kid.. ive been to cambridgeshire its only good if you want your stuff nicked and southern toffs drinking alcopops.. its well known for its dull jawed uni full of tofs that pay for a pint with a cheque..
everyone lives to make everyone else jelous they would rather starve and have a piano to show off so materialistic in general down there.. im not from sheffield infact im over 100 miles away but if i had to move i know where id choose

Soldato
pinkaardvark said:
It would certainly be good to live somewhere where I could routinely see a hill.

Not short of them in Sheffield :D I was there for 5years (uni) but have been visiting family there for as long as I can remember (dad's a native).

There's been massive amounts of regeneration going on, to the point that I don't recognise some parts anymore. As was mentioned above, the city centre and out west towards the Pennines is lovely. You can be surrounded by parks and trees and have views of the countryside yet be only 15mins from town.

Elsewhere the heavy industrial past is still plain to see. In a way it has its own beauty, dark, menacing but its not somewhere you'd wanna live and the surrounding areas are generally a bit "rough".

There's the usual collection of city centre bars and pubs, restaurants and clubs and high street shops. Division/Devonshire St. have some good independent stores. Manchester and Leeds are both ~40mins away.

Caporegime
paul_64l said:
who are you trying to kid.. ive been to cambridgeshire its only good if you want your stuff nicked and southern toffs drinking alcopops.. its well known for its dull jawed uni full of tofs that pay for a pint with a cheque..
everyone lives to make everyone else jelous they would rather starve and have a piano to show off so materialistic in general down there.. im not from sheffield infact im over 100 miles away but if i had to move i know where id choose
:confused:

I think thats the strangest post I've ever read. What are you jealous of, the university, or the city?

Soldato
Kreeeee said:
It's a horrible place with no history behind it IMO.
No History? LOL.

Sheffield's an ace city, I grew up there, and so far in my life I've spent equal time in both Leeds and Sheffield, and although they're both different in terms of industry and background they're both places I'd easily move back to in later years.

Sheffield's full of parks and greenery, the city centre's a nice easy place to shop, you basically just start at one end and finish at the other, you've got a decent football team (united), swimming pool, meadowhall, ski village, plenty of bars and new buildings being built, especially in West Bar where they're trying to make it nice. I say go for it, It's only got things to gain if you find the right area to be honest. Leeds has been on the up for ages, Sheffield's not a whole way behind.

Back
Top Bottom