My Silverstone ML01 Build [no 56k]

Associate
Well Ive had the day off today, so this morning I went to collect my parcels that were undelivered from the Interlink depot. in town. The case I have purchased is the new[ish] Silverstone ML01 or "Milo" its a SFF type case ideal for a HTPC build, much like Silverstones well known Lascala series.

As you expect with a Silverstone case it comes in a rather unassuming but sturdy brown box with only subtle branding:

(apologies if the photos are a little poor but they were taken on my phone)

Image014.jpg

Inside the case is well protected with foam and wrapped in a plastic bag, all "flaps" on the case itself are taped shut to avoid any accidents during shipping:

Image015.jpg

Well here it is, naturally I went for the black version as all black cases are superior (/runs)

Image016.jpg

(my cat seemed to like it but tbh I think she was more interested in the empty cardboard box! lol!

Associate
OP
Well here are the goodies that I intend to put inside the case, the main components are salvaged from a recently upgraded video editing rig, I got hold of these for free as payment for installing the upgrade ;)

mATX board from gigabyte (LGA775)
P4 3.2ghz
1gb GeiL Value
Random black DVD drive

the other bits that were bought new from OcUK are

BFG 7300LE PCI-e graphics card
Samsung spinpoint 80gb
80mm Acoustifan dustproof
80mm Acoustifan gasket
Belkin Bluetooth Dongle
Windows Vista Home Premium

the other piece of equipment is a Keysonic wireless keyboard with built in touchpad, I bought this, and the case itself from a competitor...

Image017.jpg

This is the interior oof the case as you can see it is quite cramped, as you'd expect really, lol.

Image018.jpg

Instantly I had a problem, the case only supports low-profile expansion cards, and the wireless card and pci-e gfx card I bought both came with standard sized brackets:

Image019.jpg

No problem really, just removed the brackets and they wil have to live without being screwed down for a while until I get or fabricate some smaller ones. I had to sacrifice the VGA header on the back of the gfx card but thats no real problem.....

Image020.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Next pic is with the front of the case removed (a wonderfully easy process btw) the case comes with a 3.5" card reader pre-installed, however as I was about to find out I wouldnt be able to use it after all (bothered?).

Image021.jpg

I intended to remove the front 80mm fan and replace it with the Acousti fan and gasket, but on inspecting the OEM fan it wasnt standard in size, it was much thinner than a standard fan. Alas it had to go as it was horribly noisey:

nasty fan
Image022.jpg

Problem now being that with the full size fann in there the normal place where the HDD would sit could no longer be used, not a problem for me as I wouldnt really use the card reader, so out it came and the HDD was installed in its place.
Notice that the top right fan screw is missing, it had to go as it fouled on the retaining clip of the front bezel:

Image025.jpg

Here is the case with the HDD, DVD, Mobo/GFX all installed, anyone whos built something like this before will know that cable routing is a complete bore!

Image023.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Here is the completed internal build, I tucked all the cables as best I could and really its not too bad at all:

Image026.jpg

Case up and running on the Samsung LCD and Vista being installed:

Image027.jpg

Completed PC all good and using the supplied feet to stand it upright a la PS2 (sexy)

Image028.jpg

Im very pleased with this build its def been one of my most satisfying, this wireless keyboard Im using from the comfort of my armchair is brilliant, and with bluetooth flexibility its really great little machine.

Also very impressed with the new OS, this is my first look at Vista and I must say its very impressive so far!

My only gripe is that the 7300LE gfx card is too noisy and its going to have to go when I can afford to do so, I did buy a 7300LE from OcUK a month or so ago, it was one made by XFX and it was fanless, this BFG one isnt and the fan is irritating beyond belief. Maybe I can swap with the person who got that fanless one I duno (a little cheeky maybe lol). Else I will just buy another XFX one from somewhere else.

Hope this little article hasnt been too boring, but hopefully it gives anyone looking for a classy little HTPC case a good idea of what they can get from the SS-ML01!

:)

Associate
Interesting build and article, always been a tower case builder myself but the final completed HTPC build with feet looks very good, could be something I consider doing when I move out. Thanks for posting the build report. :)

Associate
OP
The PC is connecting via a VGA cable, the resolution is set at 800x600, anything higher and its a strugle to see text on websites etc.

As for audio Im just using headphones...

Associate
OP
32-bit edition.

Temps are good, nothing is overclocked and its all stock cooling. The case has lots of mesh areas for good ventilation, one being directly above the CPU HSF.

Back
Top Bottom