What are the "rules" for driving without an MOT?

Soldato
My car has been in a car audio workshop getting a load of equipment fitted into the boot. Originally this job was supposed to only take 2 weeks but for various reasons (mainly delays from installer) it's run on to 4 weeks and I still haven't got it back. I've been told that I might be able to pick it up tomorrow evening.

The problem I've got is that my car has just recently turned 3 years old, and was due its first MOT (and service) on the 25th March. If I had gotten the car back when originally promised I would've been able to service & MOT it before the deadline, but obviously because of the delay I haven't been able to.

The other added complication is that one of my headlight bulbs is blown and my rear wiper needs replacing (rubber perished) so I need to get the service done first. I am sortof wary of an unspoken rule about it being ok to drive a car without MOT as long as its "to or from the testing centre"... is this correct?

I'd ideally like to pick the car up tomorrow so I can schedule an MOT for tomorrow (Monday). If I don't pick it up tomorrow then I won't have any way of collecting it until the following weekend due to work. However if I pick it up too late tomorrow and have to drive home with only one working headlight I run a greater than usual risk of getting pulled...

So what options do I have? What are the "rules" (if any) on driving a car without an MOT?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just to add (although I suppose its irrelevant in the eyes of the Law) being a 3 year old accident-free car it's obviously going to sail through the MOT once the bulb & wiper is replaced... I'm not talking about driving an unsafe pile of junk around - before I get treated like a terrorist by anyone... :)

Jet

Jet

Soldato
Why do you need a service to change a bulb and wiper? Either do it yourself or get them to do it before the MOT for a couple of pounds.

As to the problem. Do you want to take the risk? Drive without an MOT and if you get stopped by police and can't produce it you face a maximum fine of £1000. Factor in the chance of getting stopped and asked to produce documents in deciding.

Last year I forgot to renew my MOT and was stopped by police because I had a rear light out. I had to produce my documents at the station so I went and got the test done, took it to the police station and that was that. They didn't say anything about the dates being out.

And so it should be that way. An MOT is no guarantee the car is safe.

Edit: and yes you can drive to an MOT test without a certificate. Book it in in case you get stopped and cancel it?

Man of Honour
If you're driving it to a booked MOT session, it's perfectly legal anyway.

If you're driving it anywhere else, and you get caught, it could be a problem if they decide to persue it.

I'd suggest getting the car booked in somewhere for the MOT and driving it straight from the car audio place to the garage, (changing bulb and wiper blade as needed) before doing anything else :)

Associate
Interesting point: If you get stopped you have 7 days to produce your documents.

it's not difficult to get your MOT done same-day (have just had mine) so if you get it done the day you get stopped, there's absolutely nothing to fear.

you just accept you'll have to pop into your local magistrates court to explain the fact.

Personally, I'd see if I could book an MoT for the day you get your car back. Wiper blade/bulb can be done before the MoT in a matter of seconds, for pence.

Soldato
OP
The headlight bulb is tricky to replace I think (though I could be wrong) and the rear wiper is a Honda-only part (already tried Halfords etc a few weeks back).

It's not going to be ready until tomorrow now so what I'll probably do is book a half day off work, pick it up Tuesday morning with the MOT & service already booked and drive it from car audio place to Honda & MOT station.

Thanks all for the advice :)

Back
Top Bottom