Retro Clocking

Associate
Right, so I have this old machine collecting dust, and begging for an overclocking session.

To start - the hard(ware) details.

Mobo - ASUS P4S800
RAM - Generic DDR 400Mhz RAM
CPU - Intel P4 Northwood 2.00 GHz
GFX Card is an Nvidia 4200ti 4x AGP 128MB

It has an Arctic cooler on the CPU.

I cleaned out the PC, applied new thermal paste and reseated/dusted everything. Case has good airflow (generic case with 400W PS) with intake/exhaust 80mm fans front and rear.

In the BIOS I set everything to default and booted the machine. It's running Windows 2000 and I let it update to it's hearts content. No problems so far.

Shut it down, and clocked it by 5%, so pushing it to 210 FSB from 200. Machine crashed on boot.

Dropped it to 0.025 , 205 FSB. Crashed on boot again.
Dropped it to .01, 202 FSB , machine loads but is unstable.
Dropped back to stock and all is ok.

Now I don't think there is a CPU in the world that won't do even 1%, so I have looked elsewhere for the problem. In CPUZ the VCore is being reported as 1.184V I have tried to find the proper default setting for this CPU, but I can't find it anywhere. Anyone have a table like the one that used to exist at overclockers.com? I think this might be too low and could be causing the issues. Any thoughts ?

Last edited:
Associate
Your percentage calculations are screwed up, but I would suspect your RAM. If you have two sticks then try with only one in (once with each, obviously).

Associate
OP
mwtb said:
Your percentage calculations are screwed up, but I would suspect your RAM. If you have two sticks then try with only one in (once with each, obviously).
Yes the % was not supposed to be there , doh! Getting old what can I say ...

Associate
OP
board is under volting

My board is deffo undervolting. Found the detailed spec from Intel as :

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 2 GHz
Processor Specifications:
sSpec Number: SL5ZT
CPU Speed: 2 GHz
PCG:
Bus Speed: 400 MHz
Bus/Core Ratio: 20
L2 Cache Size: 512 KB
L2 Cache Speed: 2 GHz
Package Type: 478 pin
Manufacturing Technology: 0.13 micron
Core Stepping: B0
CPUID String: 0F24
Thermal Design Power: 52.4W
Thermal Specification: 68°C
Core Voltage: 1.5V

I have already upped the voltage to 1.25 in the BIOS, and the CPU-Z tool is now reporting 1.328V. Boots stable, so I decided to pump the FSB back to 110 for 2.2Ghz. Machine boots and is stable running 32M Superpi.

Now going to adjust volts to 1.4 and push the next 5 FSB.

Associate
Im running the same MoBo but with a P4 3.oo Presscot. When I had it clocked i managed to get 3.4 out stable at stock volts. I know its a slightly different processor and the presscot was ideal for Overclocking.

When i pushed the overclock I had a Evo 33 sat on top of the damm thing :D

Back
Top Bottom