New BB ISP, or upgrade current package

Soldato
Right come home from uni where i have 10mb ntl, back to our plusnet 2mb 'plus'. It is stupidly slow for browsing in peak and off-peak hours, gaming with more than 1 PC is impossible and it's generally appauling. My brother has gone over the 4gb peak usage limit, and we are on about 7gb this month so have a number of restrictions in place. My parents have had enough too and want a faster service or a new ISP.

I have been recommended to switch to Be and their £25pm package, where we would get about 10Mb of their 24MB quoted, as we are a fair distance from our exchange. But doing this will cost £47 to cancel from plusnet, and a further £25 to activate with Be.

Would it just be easier to upgrade to the plusnet 'premier' package with a 20gb limit (peak) and 8mb line, allowing my brother to game to his hearts content and download torrents overnight......... Or should i convince my parents that plusnet are **** and should get rid asap :confused:

Cheers :D

edit: i see even on the premier plusnet package they start implementing caps as you go over 13gb :mad:

13 - 17GB: P2P etc = Up to 256Kbps, other net traffic = ~2Mbps
17 - 20GB: P2P etc = Up to 128Kbps, other net traffic = ~1Mbps
20GB+ : P2P etc = BLOCKED, other net traffic = ~512kbps

Last edited:
Soldato
How long have you been on that plusnet service? If it is over 12 months there is no cancellation fee. There is free connection if you join before the 1st April.

Edit: Do not jump to a higher package with plusnet. They will put you on a new contract.

Soldato
OP
thanks for the advice. We've been with them well over a year, must be a couple of years now. When i went on their website and looked at our account, it had the defered activation listed at £47, which i assumed would be paid back after cancelation.

Permabanned
adfinni said:
thanks for the advice. We've been with them well over a year, must be a couple of years now. When i went on their website and looked at our account, it had the defered activation listed at £47, which i assumed would be paid back after cancelation.

I've read on the plusnet forums that sometime in the week starting 11th april they will be removing all deffered charges from accounts longer than 12 months. I'd wait till then before cancelling.
When that happens i'll be switching to Sky Broadband mid. :)

I wouldn't recommend switching to plusnet premier, i'm using it and I get around 5kbps on P2P, this is when i've used less than 13gb that month. :mad:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
lee87 said:
I've read on the plusnet forums that sometime in the week starting 11th april they will be removing all deffered charges from accounts longer than 12 months. I'd wait till then before cancelling.
When that happens i'll be switching to Sky Broadband mid. :)

I wouldn't recommend switching to plusnet premier, i'm using it and I get around 5kbps on P2P, this is when i've used less than 13gb that month. :mad:

thanks for that advice i was just about to cancel. I did read on their help section that accounts longer than 12 months only have to pay the next month when cancelling. Would the stupid £47 deferred thing still be on now then ?

Going for 'be' me thinks.

Soldato
OP
Trifid said:
Remember to ask for a MAC code and not to cancel. This will allow the switch to be faster and less down time.

of course, im just trying to find out if we will have to pay £47 to cancel. Think i might post on their forums before canceling.

Permabanned
adfinni said:
thanks for that advice i was just about to cancel. I did read on their help section that accounts longer than 12 months only have to pay the next month when cancelling. Would the stupid £47 deferred thing still be on now then ?
From what i've read I think thats only for new customers joining, if you cancel now you will still have to pay the £47. They are removing charges for existing customers in 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom