Which large case?

Associate
axer said:
Hi Guys,

Currently undecided as to what case I'm going to buy for my rig, my rig consists of:

Core2Duo E6600 cooled with Titan Amanda (Big TEC Cooler!)
BFG 8800HTX (Big and hot!)
2x SATA HDD's
750w PSU

I currently have an Anetc 180 but since installing the TEC and the 8800GTX I'm finding that the provided air flow isn't quite adequate.

The two cases I have been looking at are as follows:

CM Stacker 832http://www.coolermaster-europe.com/...ial=RC-832&other_title=+RC-832+CM Stacker 832

This case looks quite nice and certainly has lots of room for many fans but I'm worried about the annoying rattles some people have mentioned with the 830 range as this would most definitely annoy me!

Lian-Li PC-G70

I'm a big fan of the Lian Li, having previously owned a PC70 a while back I know they are well built! My only concern here is there seems to be a lack of fans, my current Antec has 3 fans (although not possibly as well positioned) and I'm not sure its doing the best of jobs!

To summarise, I need decent air flow to keep a good ambient temperature without too much noise (and certainly no rattles!).

What are your opinions chaps and can you suggest any other large cases that would be suitable?

Thanks!
What you need to do is look at a square pc, namely a mountain mods ufo case, you will never have air flow problems again, nor space problems ever again lol

Soldato
OP
Mansize_tissue said:
So, does nobody like the Stacker 83X series?

They look nice(ish) but I've read the build quality is naff and it rattles on a *lot* of forums etc.

My 900 came today, it wasn’t as cramped as I expected, air flow is *very* good, gfx card temps dropped 10-15deg at idle and CPU also dropped 5deg C when under load (despite already being under a TEC!).

All fans are set to medium so whilst being audible are not annoying!

In short, so far, very pleased, no annoying noises, great air flow :D

Associate
Mansize_tissue said:
So, does nobody like the Stacker 83X series?

Around here, they are about as popular as an STD.

Original Stacker is a nice piece of kit, the new ones? Just chassis into which they have tried to cram as many fans possible in the vain hope of that equaling a good case.

I originaly wanted a Stacker 830, or an Thermalturd Armour (*shudder*).... but i hung around here for long enough to realise that they were pretty crappy cases.

Since i have had a Akasa Eclipse (lovely case, not my thing astheticaly though), and now a PC-A10B (beautiful beast). Both are stunning in build quality and their ability to cool components, as well as being easy to work in (eclipse beats the A10 on that by a little, but the latter is still pretty easy). I've broken motherboards trying to shoehorn them into cases that are to restrictive, but still "ATX" ( :rolleyes: ), and i like to play around inside my case a lot, so dont underestimate the value of a spacious case (aids cooling too).

Soldato
simonnance said:
I originaly wanted a Stacker 830, or an Thermalturd Armour (*shudder*).... but i hung around here for long enough to realise that they were pretty crappy cases.

Heh, those are the 2 cases i am considering; 'shows how much i know! So, are they really not that good? I am looking for the largest case i can find with exceptional airflow when i build later this year. It seems like i should consider the TJ09 then, huh? I though all of the grills scattered around the Stacker 830 would make for excellent airflow, but if the build quality really isn't that good then i should probably dismiss it. The TJ07 seems a little expensive, would the TJ09 be the next best thing?

Soldato
Mansize_tissue said:
Heh, those are the 2 cases i am considering; 'shows how much i know! So, are they really not that good? I am looking for the largest case i can find with exceptional airflow when i build later this year. It seems like i should consider the TJ09 then, huh? I though all of the grills scattered around the Stacker 830 would make for excellent airflow, but if the build quality really isn't that good then i should probably dismiss it. The TJ07 seems a little expensive, would the TJ09 be the next best thing?

If you want a big case with great build quality, then you should look at;

Silverstone TJ09
Lian Li v2000
Lian Li pc-201
Lian Li G70

Soldato
messiah khan said:
If you want a big case with great build quality, then you should look at;

Silverstone TJ09
Lian Li v2000
Lian Li pc-201
Lian Li G70

They all look so boring and plain, though. :(
I think, for me, i'll either get the Stacker 830 Evolution (if it will fit the Silverstone Olympia 1KW PSU, that is) or the Silverstone TJ09.

Soldato
axer said:
Go for the silverstone then, I really do get the impression that the build quality on the 830 is pants!

It is quite a bit more expensive than the Stacker, though, considering you don't get an awful lot (in terms of features). Eh, i guess i should take peoples' advice, since i've had no experience with either case.

Associate
axer said:
Go for the silverstone then, I really do get the impression that the build quality on the 830 is pants!

i agree my freind has got one, they are very poor cases, they remind me of them cheep cases you can get off the famous auction site, i think the build quality is poor considering how much they ask for them, and they look tacky, the cooling is less to be sesired, as mentioned they just threw in a load of fans thinking it will be cool, did they think of th noise of them when they designed them??

Edit: not to mention if you want a case not many have, or something differnt you need to get a ufo mountain mods case, if your funds can stretch, as i will admit they arnt cheap.

Soldato
Mansize_tissue said:
It is quite a bit more expensive than the Stacker, though, considering you don't get an awful lot (in terms of features). Eh, i guess i should take peoples' advice, since i've had no experience with either case.

I wouldn't let us put you off. If you really like it and it does it for you, then get it. Very few people have tried them and when they first came out I was raving about them until we got one in for testing. It was shocking. Just appallingly bad. It was loud, rattly and it didn't cool because there was too much open surface area to get a jet of air moving. The one with the solid sides probably works fine, but you never see them.

I like Akasa Eclipse, Akasa Zen, Jeantech Phong, Lian Li PC7+, Lian Li V1000+ and +II, V1200, V2000 and A05, Silverstone TJ-09, SG-01 and the original Coolermaster Stacker. In short, they're all very conservative and no doors. Except the Antec Lanboy. I like that and it's got a door, but it comes off :rolleyes:

But seriously, if you want a Stacker 832, then do it.

Soldato
WJA96 said:
I wouldn't let us put you off. If you really like it and it does it for you, then get it. Very few people have tried them and when they first came out I was raving about them until we got one in for testing. It was shocking. Just appallingly bad. It was loud, rattly and it didn't cool because there was too much open surface area to get a jet of air moving. The one with the solid sides probably works fine, but you never see them.

I like Akasa Eclipse, Akasa Zen, Jeantech Phong, Lian Li PC7+, Lian Li V1000+ and +II, V1200, V2000 and A05, Silverstone TJ-09, SG-01 and the original Coolermaster Stacker. In short, they're all very conservative and no doors. Except the Antec Lanboy. I like that and it's got a door, but it comes off :rolleyes:

But seriously, if you want a Stacker 832, then do it.

Really that bad, huh? How big is the Silverstone TJ09, bigger than the Stacker 830? Will i have any trouble fitting a Tuniq Tower/Thermalright Ultra-120 and a Silverstone OP 1KW PSU in there? In reviews i notice it's mentioned as a mid-tower case, i thought it was a full-tower.

None of Lian Li's cases really appeal to me; they all seem too... plain. I think the Silverstone is just within my limits of acceptance, since i don't find it quite to plain looking than any of the Silverstone or Lian Li cases. I just can't justify spending near £200 on the TJ09, because it doesn't seem like you get an awful lot for your money.

Thank you for you help everyone, by the way; i really appreciate it. And sorry for hi-jacking this thread, i really must get out of this habit.

Soldato
I've got a Lian-Li V2100+ and it is an absolutely brilliant case, very easy to work in, great airflow and pre-drilled holes in the event you want to go down the watercooling route. I had a Lian-Li previous to this as well and they really are excellent cases.

Associate
I've an Akasa Eclipse62 and for space it's fantastic. Admittedly I want a mountianmods UFO (*drools*) but I've had a '62 for over a year and it's taken everything I've thrown at it with space to spare. Also, wheels are great things for wheeling it about a Lan-Party (important consideration for all large-casers)

*shrug*

Whatever floats your boat..

Apart from a stacker. Never that.
*glares*

Back
Top Bottom