help please, blob on pictures

Associate
I went to rudyard lake yesterday, and when I came to look at the pictures I took today, there is a largish black blob on the bottom of the pictures

also 2 tiny hairs have appeared in the viewfinder today, does any body have any idea what the blob might be, and how to get rid of them.

I have given the mirror on the cam a brush with a blow brush thing, but it doesent move, amd it is on both of my lenses so it is the camera and not the lens

Big thanks for any help in advance

anyideawhatthisis.jpg

Yeah go into your cameras menu and select "clean sensor" this will lock up the mirror, open the shutter and expose the sensor with acting non active.

Buy yourself a rocket blower and give it a few puffs. Dont blow on it your self otherwise you will spit on it without noticing (I did and had to remove the marks with a special fluid and fine fibre pad)

Dust is a problem digital users have to live with but as long as you carry a rocket blower with you and give it regular blows and choose wisely when removing a lens from your mount then you should find it to be a small problem.

Puz

Puz

Associate
Fstop11 said:
Dust is a problem digital users have to live with but as long as you carry a rocket blower with you and give it regular blows and choose wisely when removing a lens from your mount then you should find it to be a small problem.

I have a similar blob on mine so I'm trying to get a rocket blower to sort it out. Another thing to note is to turn the camera OFF when you swap lenses as the static / elect charge inside the camera attracts dust !

dod

dod

Soldato
Puz said:
I have a similar blob on mine so I'm trying to get a rocket blower to sort it out.

Rocket blower is good for some particles but some just seem totally resistant to shifting. Both of mine are going to need a proper clean in the very near future.

Puz

Puz

Associate
dod said:
Rocket blower is good for some particles but some just seem totally resistant to shifting. Both of mine are going to need a proper clean in the very near future.

I'm guessing that requires cotton buds and cleaning fluid ? :(

Associate
Puz said:
I'm guessing that requires cotton buds and cleaning fluid ? :(

For God's sake DON'T USE COTTON BUDS! You'll end up depositing all sorts of fluff and filth on your sensor. Use sensor swabs with Eclipse fluid. It's pricey for what it is but it works.

And don't worry about breaking your sensor - you'll have to try really hard to break it. Just follow the instructions with confidence.

Associate
OP
well, i went out and bought a rocket blower (took visiting two branches to get one)

and followed instructions for locking the mirrors out of the way, and yeah ther was a spec on the sensor shield, a quick blow and i actualy saw it move.

So thanks for that, a quick blow on the mirror its self as well, moved the tiny hairs i could see through the viewfinder.

seems to be ok now on pic, (just took a quick test pic)

but one thing I still have, and I didnt notice it before, in the view finder, where the centre [ ] is in the big circle, from the bottom left of the [ is a very straight line, that goes all the way down to the bottom of the screen.

it doesetn appear to show on photgraphs though.

does any body have any idea what that might be?

Soldato
There are only 3 ways to clean a sensor on a DSLR !!!!!

1) Send it back to the manufacturer and get them to do it

2) Gently use a rocket blower in the hope it will shift some (nearly never moves all of it)

3) Use Pecpad with eclipse cleaning fluid with the correct plastic swab for your camera (with the pecpad wrapped around it)

The other option is to just open the image in photoshop and use the spot cleaning tool ;)

Anything else will pretty much destroy the sensor (most likely to anyways), I got a pecpad cleaning kit for £20 inc del

Associate
Wheres the best place online (or someone whos got them instock) to get these rocket blowers from?

Also is there a massive difference between medium and large sizes?

Soldato
ICE Master said:
Wheres the best place online (or someone whos got them instock) to get these rocket blowers from?

I think that would be breaking the rules if anyone told you as OCUK sell cameras, so they would be classed as competitors.

Associate
i had that and its definately CCD dust but dont panic get a proper cleaning and and be gentle and problem will be solved. i need to do my s2 again soon as been changed the lens a lot recently in less than perfect conditions

Back
Top Bottom