Has anybody here uprated their brake fluid?

Soldato
Hi all.

..Has anybody here changed their Brake Fluid to a perfomance / racing or DOT 5.1? .....Something like Castrol SRF or Motul?

....is it worth doing..? Did you find it made a difference?

Thanks

Soldato
I haven't myself, but I can't see it having much difference on the road, only if you were on track and using uprated pads/discs where higher temperatures were involved.

Soldato
yeah I did it because the different between DOT 5.1 and the lesser fluids was only a few quid.

Didnt see any difference, but didnt take the car on the track.

Soldato
Virdi said:
Hi all.

..Has anybody here changed their Brake Fluid to a perfomance / racing or DOT 5.1? .....Something like Castrol SRF or Motul?

....is it worth doing..? Did you find it made a difference?

Thanks

It's only worth doing if you are currently having problems with the fluid boiling in your system. On a road car it's usualy not worth using the high spec racing fluids because they are affected by moisture more than standard fluids, so need changing more regularly.

Associate
Yes

But as mentioned before, you don't notice the difference in normal (and even some abnormal) road driving conditions. For the track it is a different matter :)

Soldato
As said the difference is a few quid. On a half decent car its worth while if you are doing a full system flush

On my Pulsar I did notice the pedal was less squishy but that could equally be attributed to the whole system bleed.

Soldato
Stonedofmoo said:
As said the difference is a few quid. On a half decent car its worth while if you are doing a full system flush

It's not for the reason I have already stated. The boiling point will degrade more quickly than the lower spec fluids so you end up changing the fluid more often. If the standard brake fluid doesn't boil, you don't get any advantage from the higher initial boiling point that posh fluids give you.

Soldato
Ah I see, I never noticed but thats most likely because like most people interested in this question I was forever upgrading and tinkering with my brakes

As such the fluid got replaced an awful lot :)

Back
Top Bottom