Sensor cleaning?

Soldato
There are only 3 ways to clean a sensor on a DSLR !!!!!

1) Send it back to the manufacturer and get them to do it

2) Gently use a rocket blower in the hope it will shift some (nearly never moves all of it though)

3) Use Pecpad with eclipse cleaning fluid with the correct plastic swab for your camera (with the pecpad wrapped around it)

The other option is to just open the image in photoshop and use the spot cleaning tool ;)

Anything else will pretty much destroy the sensor (most likely to anyways), I got a pecpad cleaning kit for £20 inc del

Soldato
drunken fool said:
hmm, sounding more and more complicated! could my local camera shop not clean for me?

Yeah probably, they would charge a fair bit id guess, and I highly doubt they would do it with a guarantee, as in if they broke it they would replace it sorta thing.

But trust me the ways iv listed above are the ONLY ways of doing it, 110% ignore any other 'advice'

For someone who has never done it, try the rocket blower 1st, outside, no dust in the air (otherwise you will blow dust into the sensor), it may shift some bits, but more likely it wont, it never did when I did it, the only way iv cleaned it, as in removed the spots is pecpads, DO NOT use ANYTHING else otherwise you will scratch / contaminate the sensor

Caporegime
pecpads and eclipse here, not had any problems.
The problem with the blowing method is that it leaves the dust in the camera so it will just fall back in place, and a lot of the dirt get a little sticky and really sticks to the sensor. Which is why you need to use eclipse

Associate
Like most people, I used the rocket blower approach first, then rechecked to see if this shifted the dust. It didnt, so I went with the eclipse & pecpad approach.

Its no more delicate than putting on a pair of contact lenses. Always scary the first time. :p Be brave! its only a gadget!

Anyway, im guessing you've read up about the DIY approach from somewhere like the link below.
http://www.birdsasart.com/bn134.htm

Back
Top Bottom