More Rover 200 fun

Associate
After swapping the engine on a rover 200 the other week due to hgf.
I was greeted by some delicious chocolate milkshake type substance in the other half's rover's expansion tank.

Image164.jpg

So after a good read o0f the haynes manual I set to stripping the head and associated gubbins off!

Image159.jpg

Image163.jpg

Image161.jpg

Loooooooooooooooong head bolts!

Image162.jpg

Pretty straight forward for the most part, till it came to timing the thing back up again.
Those forward thinking rover engineers in their wisdom, decided to put the crank timing marks in such a position that I had to remove the alternator belt, then the engine mount and drop the engine by 3 inches or so to make it visible lol.

Seems to be running good again now.

Took about 5 hours total, not bad for a first attempt.
Dunno how much a garage would charge for doing it.

Pez

Soldato
Hope you changed the inlet manifold gasket as well, they are very prone to coolant leaks and are frequently the cause of HGF.

Idealy you should also have measured the liner heights above the deck as these are very important for the engine to hold a gasket. It should be 0.05-0.15mm with no more than 0.05mm variation between adjacent cylinders.

Deleted member 329

D

Deleted member 329

good to see another 200 in the forums! i had the head replaced on my 214 a while back.. its going fine. just a bit of piston slapback! which is anoying but the car runs great. I am starting to get my hands abit more dirty which is fun!
hope you dont mind but i am going to fire in my own rover related question in your thread
do you have idea how i can sort this rust mess out? its the only rust on the car and its starting to anoy me!

04-04-07_1658.jpg

04-04-07_1700.jpg

04-04-07_1701.jpg

Associate
OP
Head didn't need skimming, it was just leaking bit of oil into the water and vise versa gasket hadn't properly gone yet was just blowing a little.

Inlet was not removed as I took the head off with inlet and exhaust manifolds in situ.

Some people renew bolts, others don't. They all tightened up fine for me anyway.

Associate
Dogbreath said:
They are fine to be re-used as long as their length is within tolerance.

Yeah, dad recons he has used em 3 or 4 times actually with no problem on relativley high performance engines. A mate called Nick who is crazy about drums cut some head bolts down to different lengths drilled the end, hung em up and used em as chimes :D
Im quite sure the timing marks are when piston one is at tdc which is easier to find:p

T16

T16

Permabanned
moss said:
As far as im aware the head bolts should be renewed when the heads done on a k-series.

They DEFINATELY should.

Re using stretch bolts like that is asking for trouble and is not the proper way to do things.

The bolts are meant to be torqued up once only.

Forget tolerances, the properties of the metal change with the stretch and heating/cooling over time.

For a few quid its not worth cutting corners.

Back
Top Bottom