How good are mac book pros?

Permabanned
Loooking at getting a new laptop looking at the 17inch mac book pro 2.33 how much better then a pc laptop are they .how heavey are they thanks

Soldato
How long is a piece of string?

Can't tell you if it's "better" than a PC laptop if you don't specify what you require or want to use a laptop for.

I've had a 15" MBP for a year now and I love it. The only PC laptop I've used that comes close is a Thinkpad T series but they are more business oriented. T42 for work, MBP for home = nigh on perfect.

Soldato
I have the 17" MacBook Pro 2.33,2gb,X1600 256mb,160GB HDD.

I would say it is much better than a PC laptop in all areas!

My Step dad who im visiting at the moment has a Dell XPS laptop, my MBP is about half as thin as his. If you opened up the screen on the XPS and just had the base bit, my MBP shut is still thinner than it.

Much better build quality and very lightweight for what it is! Doesnt get too hot either so no annoying fan on the whole time!

Get one! There the best laptops ive ever been on!

Josh

Soldato
Depends on what you want to do.

Macbook Pro can run windows and OS X and linux etc. etc. so you have best of all worlds.

PC laptop can't run OS X

I replaced my relatively top spec PC with a macbook pro and it runs games such as day of defeat source, half life 2 etc. just the same really.

Soldato
I like the MBP, not because I am an apple fanboy but its really light, thin, I can play all my games on it (via bootcamp) run all my windows apps (via parallels) and all sorts of other cool stuff.

I believe size for size, the 17" MBP (mines the 15.4") is only an inch wider.

Soldato
mark35 said:
Apple refurb how are they compared with new?

Refurb like. :)

It'll depend from unit to unit I expect.

Apple Certified Refurbished Products

- Quality products/great prices
- Stringent refurbishment process prior to sale
- Covered by Apple's One-Year Limited Warranty
- AppleCare Protection Plan can be purchased
- Supplies are limited

Theres a few up, go check them out if you want. :)

Edit: 37% off the Core Duo and 16% off the C2D units.

Last edited:
Associate
Got my 15" MBP about a month ago now and the build quality is amazing, i think its the minimalism of the design that makes it so sturdy and seem unbreakable. There just isn't any silly buttons or adjusters sticking out that might fall off, or any LED's that might run out or/and annoy you.

I was round at a friends recently and he was all hyped up about his new HP Pavillion laptop that had a built in webcam ... but it looked utterly pathetic compared to my iSight, the iSight is just so well designed that you can barely tell its there!

Other things that make it better than any PC laptop is size, it is unbelievably slim. Oh, and how could I not mention the backlit keyboard ... fantastic!

Back
Top Bottom