Electric meters

Permabanned
Hi,

I have just purchased a commercial shop, on the ground floor the tenant is connected to a billed electricity meter. On the 1st floor, there is no electricity or wiring whatsoever. I am planning to get it wired up and stick a card meter or bill meter so I can rent the 1st floor out. My friend says the meter will cost me £300 :eek:

Any electricians out there who can give me any good tips on how I can go about this free or for very little money as this is all new to me (excluding labour and wiring materials of course ;) )? Ta. :)

Permabanned
OP
But there are so many choices, single phase, 3 phase etc. Do I have to get my electricity company to do it for me or is it common practice for an electrician to do it :)

Permabanned
OP
Nothing yet, but I intend to have 6 x 60w spotlights in the living room, a 3 bulb (60w each) chandalier in the other 5 rooms, 2 plasma tvs, iron, kettle, computer, sky box, dvd player, hi-fi, printer and musical keyboard :)

Soldato
You can have a metered submain from your supply installed by an electrician providing you have sufficent capacity on your supply to fed the flat, but be aware that there are rules somewhere governing how much you can set the meter to.

Or you can have the DNO install a separate meter supply from their network to the flat with its own MPAN number, etc, and that would be totally idepandant of your meter.

Meters can be got pretty cheaply, quite a few electrical suppliers sell re-con ex-dno meters

Permabanned
OP
Adam_151 said:
You can have a metered submain from your supply installed by an electrician providing you have sufficent capacity on your supply to fed the flat, but be aware that there are rules somewhere governing how much you can set the meter to.

Or you can have the DNO install a separate meter supply from their network to the flat with its own MPAN number, etc, and that would be totally idepandant of your meter.

Meters can be got pretty cheaply, quite a few electrical suppliers sell re-con ex-dno meters

Cool, this sounds like the best option, do they supply the meter as well? :) If not which is best one phase or 3 phase :)

Soldato
I don't understand the question :confused:

You use a single phase meter if you have a single phase to meter, you use a three phase meter if you have three phases to meter

And yes, if you have a second supply installed, they will stick a meter on the end of it :p ... however much you beg they won't install a supply without a meter (only street furniture gets those!) Don't expect that a separate supply would be super cheap though, the exact price depends on how much work the DNO have to do, but its not generally that cheap

Permabanned
OP
Adam_151 said:
I don't understand the question :confused:

You use a single phase meter if you have a single phase to meter, you use a three phase meter if you have three phases to meter

And yes, if you have a second supply installed, they will stick a meter on the end of it :p ... however much you beg they won't install a supply without a meter (only street furniture gets those!) Don't expect that a separate supply would be super cheap though, the exact price depends on how much work the DNO have to do, but its not generally that cheap

:p Thanks for clearing that up

Associate
I was quoted about £350 to move my meter, and on top of that I would still need to get my own electrician to make the connection to the new meter, and I would have to also dig any trenches and any other works. Highway robbery :(

Back
Top Bottom