What Novel (Book) are you reading?

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
What book is everyone reading?

What made you buy it?

What are you getting next?

I’m currently reading the Bourne identity, trilogy. Very good story so far id recommend it to anyone who likes the film. I bought this as I enjoy reading books that are now films to gain more insight to what was trying to be achieved in the film and how they have changed the person from the story to film. As most of the time the books are totally different and give a better story.

Does anyone recommend any other books in this category?

Commissario
I'm just about to read the 5th Gaunts Ghost book by Dan Abnet (basically Warhammer 40k fiction, surprisingly quite readable, unlike the Warcraft books...*)

I've recently read the first four books in the series, the Ringworld series and some of the "Known Universe" books by Larry Niven (I want to get the rest now), and some of the Foundation books by Asimov.
I tried a couple of Stephen King books, but remembered why I don't tend to like his stuff (i've nothing against either horror/thriller books, or very long ones, but I can't seem to get into King, give me Dean Koontz for horror, Iain M Banks or Peter F Hamilton for really long stuff).

*Yes, we've got a warcraft and starcraft book here, both are awful.

Associate
"The Dice Man"
I bought it as the idea of going beyond the norm appeals (though it turns out to be somewhat more extreme than my philosophy lol), good read actually.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Currently reading these two books:

David Cannadine - Ornamentalism: How the British saw their Empire

Niall Ferguson - Empire: How Britain made the modern world.

Not novels really, more academic I guess. Interesting none the less.

Associate
^^ ive heard good things about a book Called Britain The Warrior Race, you seem to be into that kind of stuff and a friend of mine highly recommends it

Soldato
Mp4 said:
What book is everyone reading?

What made you buy it?

What are you getting next?

-Book 5 of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series

-Friends recommended the series to me like 10 yrs ago when I was 11-12 ...found it very boring, then walked into borders a few months ago, opened the first book up and couldn't put it down.

-Book 6 :p

I really enjoy sci-fi and fantasy novels.

Books I highly recommend:

-The Farseer Trilogy (Book 1 is Assassin's Apprentice) by Robin Hobb
=====Robin is an amazing author and these 3 books are some of my favorites of all time, I've read the trilogy about 4 times. It's a great mix of politics, mysticism, adventure, romance.....quite good.

-Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, already talked about that though. =====Wikipedia's entry is quite informative : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time

-Dune by Frank Herbert...I doubt i need to explain this one

-Ringworld by Larry Niven

-A World out of Time by Larry Niven

-Sphere by Michael Crichton

-Jurrassic Park & The Lost World by Michael Crichton
======These two books are VERY good..the movie really pales in comparison...

-The Elegant Universe by Briane Greene
======This guy has a talent for explaining theoretical physics in laymans terms.

-Anything written by Michio Kaku
======Same as above

-A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking
======we all know what this is

Soldato
I am reading Dark Tower book 6 of 7. It seems to be a mirror - one interesting story line, and the other I am finding hard to find the motivation to read.

Associate
I'm currently reading various history books in preparation for exams; I don't have time to read anything else right now. Come the summer however I'd like to continue with Sartre’s Nausea, which was interrupted by uni work half way through.

Associate
gurusan said:
-The Farseer Trilogy (Book 1 is Assassin's Apprentice) by Robin Hobb
=====Robin is an amazing author and these 3 books are some of my favorites of all time, I've read the trilogy about 4 times. It's a great mix of politics, mysticism, adventure, romance.....quite good.
Another vote for these, Robin Hobb has a very verbose writing style that flows effortlessly throughout every book, seems utterly unecessary when you look back on the book when you've finished, but in the next book you read the characters will seem shallow and two dimensional by comparison.

Man of Honour
Jsut finished starwars: tempest (legacy of the force)

I should have got Matthew Reilly: Seven Ancient Wonders

and
Vince Flynn: Term Limits

But they didn't arrive before the weekend, hopefully tomorrow

Associate
Re read Dan Brown Angels and Demons and the Da Vinci Code. Wasn't all that impressed, don't know what possessed me to do that?

Back
Top Bottom