• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Barcelona Core

Soldato
p4radox said:
:confused:

I'll be following Barcelona with interest. Depending on the price/performance ratio (including overclocking ability) I may be tempted to upgrade to one.

likewise, if there supposidly more than 40% faster than current opterons thats more than enough to beat C2D, if they overclock well i can see lots of C2D suddenly appearing on the members market ;)

Caporegime
Gashman said:
likewise, if there supposidly more than 40% faster than current opterons thats more than enough to beat C2D, if they overclock well i can see lots of C2D suddenly appearing on the members market ;)

MIne included but somehow I don't think its going to be faster than my C2D @ 3.8ghz even when clocked.

Soldato
The L3 cache is going to limit their clockability so I can't see them being too popular in the enthusiast circles. But then, AMD will be pushing them into their new found server market share anyway.

Soldato
jaykay said:
Barcelona will come out on skt F in august
agena quad core for dektops will come out in sept on skt am2
Kuma is the dual core version for dektops will come out around sept

Ditto Im not sure why people think he AMD quad core chips are due like next month or june, the workstation chips are due July+ and then September is is the desktop Quadcores.... quite far off actually.

Caporegime
HighlandeR said:
Ditto Im not sure why people think he AMD quad core chips are due like next month or june, the workstation chips are due July+ and then September is is the desktop Quadcores.... quite far off actually.

They have quad core now.

Shame its in the shape of 2 actual seperate CPU's :p

Associate
stigggeh said:
i am sure you said similar about conroe when you had your opteron.

A 3.8ghz clocked conroe is pretty insane when you think about it though. This is by no means official, but surely a 3.8ghz conroe even destroys a Q6600?

Caporegime
cobxx said:
A 3.8ghz clocked conroe is pretty insane when you think about it though. This is by no means official, but surely a 3.8ghz conroe even destroys a Q6600?

I clocked my QX6700 to 3.6ghz under water and it was awsome in tasks that utilised all four cores.

Video editing was amazing.

But I just couldn't justify the 650 quid it cost.

sold it and now have a 6400 that cost me 125 ;)

With a warmer feeling in my heart.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup agreed a fast dual core cd2 will still be the better option over quadcores... only lately we seen mutlicores coming in hopefully stalker is good with it and soon crysis and other games.

Still didnt mind going Quadcore Q6600 myself/ I dont overclock and yes 4 cores is simply lovely in supreme commander, may try an 8 player and max unit count and wait a few hours and see what happens proberly strain SC even lol

Soldato
Depends,

Remember the stinkers that were prescott? it took intel ages to catch up to amd.. if this happens in reverse with barcelona then i guess amd is in big trouble.

Bets are on, who will be fastest? Barcelona or C2D? :D

Caporegime
all speculation as usual if it is faster all the core duo blokes will be jumping ship to amd then the silly games of whos got the fastest will start again.As long as its priced right then thats what matters.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
well im still with socket 939, decided to miss the conroe bandwagon as i simply didnt NEED the upgrade, maybe when the new AMD comes out and intel drops its conroe prices, a nice cheap upgrade will be on the way :D

Soldato
Defcon5 said:
It will be faster. If you take overclocking out of the equation, there isnt really that much in it between their current CPUs and C2Ds, especially price/performance wise.

been saying this for ages and still get the usual C2D is faster crap, but your TOTALLY right, price/performance there almost identical

Back
Top Bottom