• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gibbo is getting an R600!!

Soldato
I think there was a patch that fixed that ?
Anyhow SS is on in my menu, and I have AA, so if anything doesn't work it will be SS.

Caporegime
Yeah you can enable both options, but one won't work, so if you aint got any jaggies then the soft shadows are off, shadows will look very black and squarish, with soft shadows on they are more rounder and lighter, dont look so black, softer lol, but as above if both are on then a patch may have come out that allowed both, in which case i never knew. :D

OcUK Staff
OP
chaparral said:
I got 4xAA and soft shadows on.....

so which one would the game be using :confused:
Fear2.jpg

Hi there

Yup identical settings here, the card if the BFG 8800 GTX OC and yes its a quad core at 3GHz.

Both our results seem identical which must be saying that the CPU is having little to no effect at that resolution and its all down to the graphics. :)

P.S. Also performance between XP and Vista on Fear are both identical. Wheras 3D Mark 2005/2006 are quite a bit slower under Vista.

Soldato
Gibbo said:
P.S. Also performance between XP and Vista on Fear are both identical. Wheras 3D Mark 2005/2006 are quite a bit slower under Vista.

Interesting ... my lowly x1950Pro has the same trend in all games, this included ... much slower in vista.
settings as above but 2xaa (only a 256mb pro) gives me 21/43/98 in XP, Vista drops it to 15/31/72. Cat 7.3 in both.

3DM06 was just 200 pts difference, but games are lots slower.

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

I think I need a game thats really gonna make these cards sweat.

I want something thats gonna get down to single figures.

I have the system on a DELL 24" so can display upto 1920x1200 resolution.

Soldato
Gibbo said:
Hi there

Single figures? u trying to find a game thats gonna bring the card to its knees already?

unplayable crap.. who wants that, anyway.. hmm cant think of any, only crysis.. but not out yet :|

dunno about supreme commander, dont know anything about that game.

Soldato
I would say Sup Cmdr might be a good one to try, 8 player game with 1000 unit cap, vs AI should make the quad cores sweat and the 1920x1200 res would put the GTX to the test - just try adding "/ perf" to the command line in the shortcut and running that - should give an idea before you go maxing the unit cap :p

Soldato
Gibbo said:
Hi there

The only ones I can think of (as mentioned)...

Supreme Commander (has a performance test via the command line).

Soldato
Stalker under XP with all settings maximum, high res and dynamic lighting is quite good at pushing your system currently too. (Im using dynamic, 1680x1050, med-high settings) and Im floating around 25-30fps a lot of the time. Not quite single digits, its playable, but not high fps. System in sig.

Associate
Gibbo said:
Hi there

I would say either Oblivion, with the extended texture pack, or Company of Heroes. You could try Need for Speed: Carbon, that knackers all the benchies on Custom PC (although they could be setting it up wrong LOL :D )

Do you have a game budget here Gibbo?

Soldato
chaparral said:
:eek: that very low for a C2D at 3gz

Am getting 38/67/157 at 1920x1200 4xAA 16xAF all setting at max with a AMD 4400 cpu (2400mhz) and my 8800gtx at stock speeds of 576/900
That would suggest its gpu limited, which is great.
Gibbo said:
Hi there

How about using rthdribl?
Its a gpu stress testing program, very easy to use and should push any gpu to its knees.

Go to options, multisample, and set that to maximum, then go to file, config display, and whack the res up to max and set it on full screen. On my 256mb 6800gt it says 'not enough gpu memory', and on slightly lower settings it gives me about 10fps, so it should give your cards a good workout.

Please remember many of us are very interested in temperatures and noise levels, so your observations on those would be very much appreciated. :)

Edit: Geoforms is also a similar thing, again it brings my card to a crawl very easily so it might be some use to you. Unfortunately no fps details in that however if you run it with the same settings on both cards you'll probably be able to tell by eye which is better, or failing that fraps will probably give some fps figures.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

I got Command & Conquer 3 at home, one of the very few games I have, does this have any benchmarking abilities? Or is it not stressful enough?

Soldato
Perfect_Chaos said:
its sad that even modern cards struggle on oblivion.. we buy new cards to play new games, not older ones :(
It's sadder that Oblivion runs better on my 8800GTS than S.T.A.L.K.E.R. does, at least Oblivion looks good. :(

Soldato
Gibbo said:
Hi there

I got Command & Conquer 3 at home, one of the very few games I have, does this have any benchmarking abilities? Or is it not stressful enough?

No point really Gibbo! EA have locked the Sage engine as they do with all their RTS games and you will see an FPS cap of 30FPS regardless! So really you can say it runs super smooth maxed out but it runs like that on most high end set ups at the moment!

Back
Top Bottom